PDA

View Full Version : Meech

former1dog
11-18-2008, 09:50 PM
We really got a steal with this kid.

I am very, very impressed. If it weren't for Pargo, this kid would be our starter and I wouldn't be even a little bit worried.

LynetteG
11-18-2008, 09:52 PM
I told my husband tonight that Meech is going to start sometime this year... WOW! We will miss Jeremy, to be sure, but Meech is going to make the pain go away very quickly!

seasontixholder
11-18-2008, 09:55 PM
I sort of focused on him during warmups. Unlike Saturday, his jump shot in practice was reasonably decent. The future at the 1 is very bright.

MickMick
11-18-2008, 10:12 PM
This young man is going to help us in March.

I predict that he will be used extensively against Patty Mills, Brandon Johnson, Tyreke Evans, Ty Lawson.....get the picture?

He could be the one piece that is critical to get us over the top. If anything, he can make those players work harder to mitigate their effectiveness.

Edit: I don't want this thread to degenerate into a verbal brawl, so I'll leave the freshman Pargo comparisons alone. I will say that IMHO Pargo has improved (freshman to senior) more than any Zag I can remember.

GUZagDenver
11-19-2008, 07:32 AM
It's just amazing to see how much he seems to have bought into what Few wants from him, which is pressure on-the-ball D, ball management, and passing. He seems to be embracing that role, and with the talent around him, that is what we need. Lightning in a bottle!

john montana
11-19-2008, 07:37 AM
I'm a big fan as well. He plays great defense.

NorthWestZag
11-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Assuming the graduations and nobody decides to pursue a higher level of basketball, think about our starters next year.

Meech
Bouldin
Gray
Daye
Sacre

I am now very comfortable with that. Plus whatever recruits we get rotating in.

MickMick
11-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Assuming the graduations and nobody decides to pursue a higher level of basketball, think about our starters next year.

Meech
Bouldin
Gray
Daye
Sacre

I am now very comfortable with that. Plus whatever recruits we get rotating in.

Continuity is great. The redshirts are practicing against future pros. In 3-4 years, they will do the same teaching to their own understudys. It has worked for coaches (Monson to Few) as well. Further, Grier has taken some of that magic dust to San Diego.

Nevtelen
11-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Meech has been as good as advertised. Anyone who'd seen him said as much - that GU was getting a fantastic PG with crazy speed and solid Pg skills. He's great now - think about what he could be as an upperclassman...

Vizagra
11-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Is he looks like he is having fun out there. If a break doesn't go his way, or a ticky-tac foul is called (which he has already garnered a few with his in your face D) he doesn't change his demeanor. You don't see any arguing, face crunching, fist throwing/pumping etc. On the flip side when he makes a great play, you gotta love the ear to ear smile that crosses his face. He truly takes the game as it comes with a level head. Very rare for a former high school star and true freshmen. I can't wait to see what he becomes in these next 4 years.

It is a great time to be a Zag!

GO ZAGS!

TacomaZAG
11-19-2008, 09:21 AM
but where are his minutes going to come from against the better teams?? Pargo and Meech on the floor at the same time is not going to happen much, if at all, as the scoring punch goes way down with Gray, Bouldin, and Downs giving up the minutes. Also, as has been said on other threads, JP is running the show at an elite level and will continue to do so for 35+ minutes a game all year long.

The future at "guard U" continues to be very bright, but this years edition is Jeremy's, end of story. I love Meech as much as the rest of GU Nation, but his time is not here yet. He may get 3-5 minutes a game to give JP a quick breather but that's about it, and thats the way it should be this year, IMO.

The future is bright, but the present is even brighter..........

Go ZAGS

MickMick
11-19-2008, 09:31 AM
I guess we will just have to wait to see how it all plays out. I stand by my statement which was somewhat backed up by a Zag coach after the Billings game.

Meech is going to get considerable time defending the quickest guards the Zags will face. The Zags want a man in Patty's grill non-stop and Pargo/Meech will both be fresh doing it.

Birddog
11-19-2008, 09:36 AM
He may get 3-5 minutes a game to give JP a quick breather but that's about it, and thats the way it should be this year, IMO

I'm gonna take a WAG and say he gets about 10 mins a game or more on avg.

MickMick
11-19-2008, 09:48 AM
I completely agree with you, I was just telling a buddy of mine that Meech will get some considerable minutes guarding some of those elite guards that we will come up against. Patty Mills has the potential to kill a ton of teams, but with Meech guarding him, he's gonna have a tough time putting points on the board.

Just imagine if we could have used him last year against Curry.....

I don't want the Gael fans to get the wrong impression here. No one is going to shut Mills down. But he is going to have to work harder.

Work Harder = More Fatigue

More Fatigue = Increased chance of: missing free throws, errant passes, less effective defense, etc.

Jeremy will be more effecive against a Mills that has to work harder than normal. It benefits Pargo to get Meech on the floor.

Edit: I use Mills as a generic example of a quick, talented guard. I think Brandon Johnson will need considerable attention as well.

TacomaZAG
11-19-2008, 10:02 AM
how it plays out, lot's of possibilities. Unfortunately, there are only 200 total team minutes per game. Team defense may go up with Meech in there but team rebounding will go down.

Can't wait for the next game, the real season starts next week.

Lots of bullets in Coach's gun.

Go ZAGS

SWZag
11-19-2008, 10:06 AM
I can whole-heartedly agree with these posts on how great Meech will be. At times, watching the game on TV, I thought Meech was Pargo. The style of play, the movements, the drives in the lane, they looked very similar. I am very impressed with what I've seen thus far. He has a great basketball knowledge and can see the floor.

Between him and Gray playing defense, our defense is significantly improved. It's exciting to watch him (and Gray) stick to a guy and don't even let him get a breath of fresh air. It's awesome.

The next stretch of games will be extremely tough, but I love our attitude and hustle. The hustle is amazing…and contagious.

Welcome to the national stage, Meech.

SWZag

Larryzag
11-19-2008, 10:19 AM
I agree that Meech will get about 10 min a game this year or more. I love his game and am excited about the future with him at the point. However, the combination of Pargo and Meech together on the floor hasn't worked yet. Our inside game is shut down when they are playing at the same time because neither one can hit an outside shot consistently yet. When both are in a game together I'd like to see Josh, Austin and Micah in too. Then we keep enough firepower in the game. I'm sure the coaches will figure out the best rotation and solve this problem.

jim77
11-19-2008, 11:20 AM
The fella is certainly ahead of his years. I really like the way he plays defense...the guy is fearless and will take charging calls...you better not leave the floor if he's anywhere around. LOL. Maybe they should put foam padding on the back of his uniform for added comfort and safety! He's a fun guy to watch.

htownzagfan
11-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Is he looks like he is having fun out there. If a break doesn't go his way, or a ticky-tac foul is called (which he has already garnered a few with his in your face D) he doesn't change his demeanor. You don't see any arguing, face crunching, fist throwing/pumping etc. On the flip side when he makes a great play, you gotta love the ear to ear smile that crosses his face. He truly takes the game as it comes with a level head. Very rare for a former high school star and true freshmen. I can't wait to see what he becomes in these next 4 years.

It is a great time to be a Zag!

GO ZAGS!

I hate to tell you boys - i told you so but....;) Couldn't be happier and prouder of Meech - I said awhile back that I've always liked the Zags but since he signed with you guys I became the crazy guy who stayed up till 1am Texas time to watch and follow the Zags man - Great Kid and glad you boys are enjoying watching him - I cannot wait to see how Coach Few and Co. use and develop him for the future. Anyways good luck this season - You've got at least one for Zag fan in Texas now - as always...GO ZAGS

Zerogame
11-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Nov. 15, 2007

Gibbs, Poling & Goodson Sign LOI's
Views: 1,915 Posted By htownzagfan
Updates on Meech

I dont have much time to get on here - but I've taught Meech before and he's a great kid - you guys are getting a stud - would love to keep you guys updated on him- his team plays in a tournament...

Nothing but money!