PDA

View Full Version : The Indianapolis Star's Preview: No. 7 Indiana (20-10) vs. No. 10 Gonzaga (23-10)

IrishBulldog
03-13-2007, 08:14 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070312/SPORTS/70312044/

By Terry Hutchens
terry.hutchens@indystar.com

Indiana beat writer Terry Hutchens breaks down the Hoosiers' opening matchup, and looks at their possible road ahead.

Keys for Indiana

1) Knock down the open 3s: IU hit nine or more 3-pointers 12 times this season, and was 11-1 in those games. Last year, IU made 16 3-pointers against Gonzaga.

2) Get D.J. White involved: When opponents are forced to double down on White in the post, it opens up IU’s perimeter game. And the last three times White hasn’t scored in double figures, the Hoosiers are 0-3.

3) Calloway needs to take charge: Last year against Gonzaga, Earl Calloway had 13 points, 10 assists and nine rebounds, just missing a triple-double. He has to bring his total game this time for the Hoosiers to be effective.
Keys for Gonzaga

1) Push the pace: With Derek Raivio and Jeremy Pargo in particular, the Zags love to run.

2) Pressure IU’s guards: Gonzaga plays tough man-to-man defense and loves to extend to full-court pressure. When Earl Calloway is out of the game, IU is susceptible to this kind of approach.

3) Get the lead, and get to the line: Gonzaga averages 22 free throws a game, and shoots 75.1 percent as a team. If you foul Raivio, it’s automatic. He has missed six this season in 152 attempts and has 27 misses in 368 career attempts.
X-factor

Indiana’s Rod Wilmont: He's coming off a two-point effort in IU's loss to Illinois in the Big Ten Tournament, and his game has been up and down all season. But the last three times he really struggled he followed with a breakout game — all three on the road. He scored two against Purdue, then 25 at Penn State. He scored eight against Wisconsin, then 24 at Iowa. He was held scoreless against Michigan State, then had a career-high 31 at Northwestern. Will form hold?...

IrishBulldog
03-13-2007, 08:18 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070313/SPORTS0601/703130369/1004/SPORTS

By Terry Hutchens
terry.hutchens@indystar.com

In the days following Indiana's second-round NCAA Tournament loss to Gonzaga a year ago, all of IU's attention focused on who would replace outgoing coach Mike Davis.

Mark Few was a name many wanted to include in the mix.

Few has never said whether IU contacted him, and Indiana athletic director Rick Greenspan won't say whom he contacted before hiring Kelvin Sampson.

One thing was clear Sunday night: Few wasn't interested in resurrecting the past. Two hours after learning Indiana would face Gonzaga in the first round Thursday in Sacramento, Calif., Few sidestepped questions regarding IU's interest last year.

"I can talk about the game if you want," he said. "And personnel and all of that, but I'm not going to get into job talk already."

Gonzaga extended Few's contract last May through the 2016 season.

Zagquette
03-13-2007, 08:37 AM
"Since losing Heytvelt, the Zags are 6-2 and have won five in a row, but they arenít the same team without their man in the middle."

Your right....They're better.

Peace

UberZagFan
03-13-2007, 09:21 AM
2) Pressure IUís guards: Gonzaga plays tough man-to-man defense and loves to extend to full-court pressure. When Earl Calloway is out of the game, IU is susceptible to this kind of approach.

You don't see that in print too often.

beatProgram
03-13-2007, 09:26 AM
I thought the same thing when I saw that.

I'm not saying it's not true, in fact as of late I'd say that it was, but GU so rarely steps out of the zone D that unless the writer watches GU basketball religiously there's almost no basis for the statement.

I'm certainly hoping to see a lot less zone in the tourney, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thomas_Sutpen
03-13-2007, 09:46 AM
I'm certainly hoping to see a lot less zone in the tourney, but I'm not holding my breath.

Indiana's shooters will KILL us if we play zone (unless maybe a 3-2 with a big hole in the middle, but that will create DJ White problems). They have at least 3 guys who might go DeRogatis on us. We need to know where they are at all times, and I fear zone won't allow us to do that.

I say get aggressive, press, and force them to take shots they don't want. Put P-Mac on Wilmont. Then tell Kuso to stuff White whenever possible early in the game--even if he fouls (within reason, of course). DJ will get rattled.... Wilmont will get frustrated...

----

RebornZag
03-13-2007, 02:47 PM
The Zags have been playing man-to-man defense almost exclusively in their run of 5 wins. We are a better man to man defensive team without Josh. Josh frequently got into foul trouble when we played man to man. Josh was a great helper in the middle and blocked many shots of guards who penetrated, but he was not a good one on one defender. After Josh left Few has been playing a lot of man, a lot of 3/4 man and Zone defenses. I like the idea that GU has a multitudes of defenses, and mixing them up may keep the very good shooting IU team off balance.