PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Showing Memphis Mass Game Right Now

Zagineer
11-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Thought some may want to know.

CDC84
11-17-2008, 08:35 PM
A lot of familiar faces, including new UMass assistant coach Vance Walberg.

This is a really ugly ball game. Way too many turnovers.....

Das Zagger
11-17-2008, 08:53 PM
A lot of familiar faces, including new UMass assistant coach Vance Walberg.

This is a really ugly ball game. Way too many turnovers.....

Indeed it is. A midnight start (I believe) can't help.

What happened in the Oregon/Oakland game? Anyone see that?

zag67
11-17-2008, 08:58 PM
After watching Memphis, a person has to realize why a person shooting a 3 from the top of the key does not crash the boards. Mass. has launched a few 3s and then when Memphis got the rebound is outlet and layin. Mass. has not learned to get players back every time, because if you do not it will be a layin. You have to have multiple people back against teams like Memphis. Force them to work the ball in the half court. They love to run and gun. If you take that away, then they may get frustrated.

CroatiaZag
11-17-2008, 09:45 PM
It is scary how athletic these teams are...

VinnyZag
11-17-2008, 10:05 PM

The Pac-10 rules.

bigblahla
11-18-2008, 05:13 AM

Oakland wins by 3. Second year in a row they beat the Ducks.

Go!! Zags!!!

gamagin
11-18-2008, 06:47 AM
only works when you make a decent % of your shots. That wasn't happening this night.

Instead it looked like a track meet with a basketball there to occasionally slow down the sprinters.

I stopped watching just before the half.

HillBillyZag
11-18-2008, 12:23 PM
To attempt to run with Memphis is foolish. Just too fast and too tall. I think a Team that runs a patterned offense, moves the ball and takes only open shots will fare better against them. And as another poster stated, you have to board and get back on defense. UMass did neither, with the exception of #24, that kid had a double double 16-24 and is a nice player , never stopped hustling.

NewbyZag
11-18-2008, 02:20 PM
We will beat memphis if they try some of the junk they did last night. I understand the idea behind Calipari's system, but if you do not have a floor leader (ie derek rose) to control the chaos, it just turns into an and 1 game without any direction. From what i saw last night, memphis will miss the leadership of rose at the point, chris douglas-roberts' toughness and ability to make difficult shots, and Joey Dorsey's toughness around the bucket more than people think. I didn't see a point guard on memphis' team at all. Willie Kemp is the closest thing to it, and i think he should take the leadership role, but it seems like coach cal is content with having a wing player push the ball up instead of having a true pg. With that said, Tyreke Evans is simply NOT as good as people are making him out to be at this point. He is not going to be the impact player that rose was last year and has many holes in his game. His shot is slow developing and comes from behind his ear (making it easy to block) and his handles really aren't too special. I know he was coming off a minor ankle sprain, but my goodness the guy cannot shoot worth beans, and neither can memphis as a whole. The game last night looked like a replica of the Tennessee game last year, with umass allowing memphis to continue to shoot the outside jumper. If someone besides #24 had stepped up and they hadn't tried to run and gun with memphis, umass could have made it a game. Bad decision making (lack of a true pg), poor defense (i'm not talking about blocking shots), and horrible shot selection by the entire team will come back to bite them. I suppose it was an 11 o'clock tip off which probably didn't bode well for either team. The player that impressed me the most was the freshman Witherspoon, he'll be a hard guard for a lot of teams. Just an impression from what i saw last night.