PDA

View Full Version : Rest In Peace Pete Newell

ZagSlug
11-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Famed basketball coach and teaching legend Pete Newell, whose long journey in the sport included stops at USF and Cal, where he led the Bears to a national championship in 1959, died Monday at the age of 93.

Who is left to teach "big men" and "tall women" their footwork?

siliconzag
11-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Amen to that Slug, Sil

GoZags
11-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Rest in Peace, Coach (and thank you for everything you've done for the great sport of college basketball).

Here's an article written by Bud Withers -- who visited with Coach Newell, Coach Harshman and Coach Wooden about 5 years ago.
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20030318&slug=legends18
-----------
Lest you conclude this was a gathering to hatch a sequel to Grumpy Old Men, it wasn't. Surely the game is faster now, more appealing to the casual fan. It's just that the strain of purity that was once a part of their game is mostly gone now, both on the floor and off.

There are players the old coaches enjoy watching. Wooden mentions the aging Utah Jazz icon, John Stockton, and San Antonio big man Tim Duncan. Newell likes Utah's Karl Malone.

"A year ago, I liked the guy from Gonzaga," Wooden says.

"Oh yeah, (Dan) Dickau," Newell says.

"Washington had him and didn't play him, and he transfers to Gonzaga," Harshman says. "When I saw him as a freshman, I said, 'That's the first point guard since I've coached there that was a point guard.' Otherwise, it was guys that went one on one. I didn't dream he'd get that good, but he had a sense of being a point guard."

Too soon, lunch was done. The legends arose, walked toward the door in measured steps and exchanged warm goodbyes.

Harshman and Newell caught their ride. Wooden got in his sedan and drove away. Three men who consummated careers in style, living their lives in grace.

lothar98zag
11-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Rest in Peace, Coach (and thank you for everything you've done for the great sport of college basketball).

ditto that. :(

CDC84
11-17-2008, 04:33 PM
One of the most important figures in the history of the game. He did so much for the game of basketball. He will be missed.

Zag4Hire
11-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Growing up in the Bay Area, every kid who grew up loving college basketball knew of Pete Newell's influence on college hoops. A great role model, a great coach, and a truly great person. It was great to attend the Pete Newell Classic a few years back with our beloved Zags playing the opener. His influence and presence will truly be missed.

A great excerpt from the AP article:

“I just don’t think anybody has contributed more to my life in more ways than Pete Newell did,” said Knight, Division I’s all-time victory leader and coach of three NCAA champions and an Olympic gold medal. “Jerry West and I had a very tearful conversation about an hour after Pete had passed away this morning and I think Jerry felt exactly the same about Pete as I did. Pete was a second father to both Jerry and myself and while I think that we’re awfully saddened by the passing I think that we can both feel extremely good about the relationship that we had with this basketball giant over most of our entire careers. Nobody contributed more to the game and its history than Pete.”

http://hoopedia.nba.com/images/e/e1/PeteNewell.jpg

CDC84
11-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Also from the AP story:

Newell was born in Canada but grew up in Los Angeles. His mother envisioned an acting career for her son, and he appeared in several movies including “The Kid,” which made a star of Jackie Coogan. He attended what is now Loyola Marymount University and served in the Navy during World War II.