• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagFanatic
    Bulldog Fan
    • Feb 2007

To get three in

For the WCC to get three teams (GU, St. Mary's, San Diego) into the NCAA tournament this year, it starts right now. It means all three teams winning a large percentage of their OOC games, particulalry taking out some of the bigger name teams on the schedule. There has been a lot of talk on the board about what these three will do to each other during conference play and who will rise to the top. But realistically most of the tournament hopes for all three reside in performing OOC. If all three come into conference with outstanding records, big wins against quality opponents, and then simply beat up on each other while winning their games against the lower tier teams, that's how a case will be made in March.

It starts tonight. It means St. Mary's taking care of Seattle Pacific and then Fresno St. It means San Diego stepping up big time in their first two games and successfully completing large challenges against UNLV and Nevada. And we all know what it means GU needs to do against it's OOC lineup.

Here's to the WCC stepping up, starting right now.
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I have no worries about SMC stepping up.

USD really needs Gyno Pomare, who has been suspended indefinitely. They start off the season against UNLV tomorrow night, and then they face Nevada at home on 11/18. Next comes the Paradise Jam tourney (11/21-11/24) where they'll see Valpo in round one, Wisconsin/Iona in round two and one of these teams in round three: La Salle, Southern Mississippi, Miami FL or UConn. Kind of a tough way to start the season without one of your best players.

The thing I will be looking for with USD (and other WCC teams) is if they can avoid losing to teams they have no business losing to like Valpo, Cal State Bakersfield and San Jose State. What kills many of the WCC teams is not their lack of wins against elite teams, but all the teams they lose to that they should be able to beat or who they have a great chance of beating.

Comment

• NorthWestZag
      Kennel Club Material
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
      I have no worries about SMC stepping up.

USD really needs Gyno Pomare, who has been suspended indefinitely. They start off the season against UNLV tomorrow night, and then they face Nevada at home on 11/18. Next comes the Paradise Jam tourney (11/21-11/24) where they'll see Valpo in round one, Wisconsin/Iona in round two and one of these teams in round three: La Salle, Southern Mississippi, Miami FL or UConn. Kind of a tough way to start the season without one of your best players.

The thing I will be looking for with USD (and other WCC teams) is if they can avoid losing to teams they have no business losing to like Valpo, Cal State Bakersfield and San Jose State. What kills many of the WCC teams is not their lack of wins against elite teams, but all the teams they lose to that they should be able to beat or who they have a great chance of beating.
      Coach Grier stated a few days ago, according to the San Diego Union Tribune, that Pomare will only miss the UNLV game and return for the home game against Nevada.

Comment

• Nevtelen
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Starting in late November, SMC plays about a million road games in a row. Being that they weren't a strong road game last season, I think that stretch will define their season. Especially because they don't have a lot of shots at NCAA caliber teams this season and they need to take what they can get.

Comment

• zagfan08
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

In my opinion the most likely scenario would be if it played out exactly like last year. San Diego wins the tournament and the automatic berth and Gonzaga and St. Mary's receive at-large berths.

Comment

• zag buddy
            Banned
            • Dec 2007

In looking at SD and SM schedule neither one appeared to me to be overly demanding. Did I judge it wrong. I hope so.

Comment

Three WCC Teams in the NCAA...???

Ya right....give me a break....

Comment

• ZagNut08
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Based on how USD is starting off, looks like there will have to a be a repeat of last year if the WCC wants to get 3 teams in

Comment

You only get one chance to make a 1st impression

SD not only got beat...they looked really really bad....SM's played a very poor first half but they were at least "respectable" in the 2nd. Sadham (sp?) played very well in the second half but Mills stunk the whole game. I suspect most people quit watching early as it was painful to see.

Comment

• Nevtelen
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

I'll give SMC another chance to impress - everyone has a bad game now and again. But as of now, I'm thinking the WCC gets one. The conference RPI is going to stink overall and the big 3 haven't looked terribly big yet. Neither USD not SMC have a lot more chances to impress in the OOC.

Comment

Working...
                    X