PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Monson?

USDNut
03-12-2007, 07:58 PM
I think Monson would be a great hire for USD. Do you think he would be interested? What are his neagatives?

roxdoc
03-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Is he a good recruiter? I was at U of I during his father's success and always felt that his dad was a terrific coach but a poor recruiter. In fact the joke in the Palouse at the time was that if you took Don's coaching ability and Raveling's recruiting ability you would really have something!

treehorn
03-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Monson's got a lot to offer. He recruited the 1999 Elite 8 team, and really started GU on the path.

He also had a good relationship with the players. For example I went to the shootaround at Key Arena in 1999, before the huge Stanford game, when Madsen was still there. GU had beaten a depleted Minnesota team the day before. Monson kept the atmosphere loose, even though it was the biggest game of his career to that point. Near the end of the session the players were launching half court shots like grade schoolers, all misses. Monson called for the ball and nailed the half court shot, first try. Matt Santangelo and Richie Frahm collapsed in laughter and Monson walked off like nothing happened. Monson must have been as tight as a drum but he really took the edge off with that shot.

I was sore when he left GU but have gotten over it, for obvious reasons. I don't know what went wrong in Minnesota, but I know Monson can coach.

brasszag
03-12-2007, 08:58 PM
I don't think he's got the temperament to coach in a high-profile situation for long. San Diego would be a great fit - as long as he and Few are cool with it.

I'd imagine coaching against friends more than once a blue moon (as Few did against Williams and Barnes this year) would be tough emotionally.

alaskazagnut
03-12-2007, 09:18 PM
That would be great for the entire WCC family. Our conference needs RPI boosts. Getting coaches who can recruit and win will only help. It would be nice for any WCC team to regularly be in the hunt for at large bids when the conference championship is lost.

However, I have always wondered why Paul Westphal did not have more recruiting success duing his tenure at Pepperdine. So, if Westphal can't bring "IT" to the WCC then it is possible Monson won't either.

Angelo Roncalli
03-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Is he a good recruiter? I was at U of I during his father's success and always felt that his dad was a terrific coach but a poor recruiter. In fact the joke in the Palouse at the time was that if you took Don's coaching ability and Raveling's recruiting ability you would really have something!

I was in Moscow from '79 to '82. Big Munse picked up the mess Jarvis left and in 3 short years took a Big Sky team from the depths to a 27-3 season, including 4 wins over Pac-10 teams, and the Sweet 16...with players he recruited...Smith, Herbert, Kellerman, Kenny Owens out of JC, etc. Don Monson was also the assistant coach who a few years earlier recruited a guy named Magic Johnson to Michigan State.

http://www.battleinseattle.com/news_details.cfm?newsarticle=20

UberZagFan
03-12-2007, 10:20 PM
I was in Moscow from '79 to '82.

I'm sorry.

Angelo Roncalli
03-12-2007, 10:31 PM
I'm sorry.

And you were in....Tacoma?

TexasZagFan
03-13-2007, 03:29 AM

I was in Germany at the time, enjoying life while residing in an apartment with a beautiful view of the Mosel River...sigh...I miss it.

http://www.traben-trarbach-wolf.de/wolfviews/wolfhome.jpg

Springtime in Texas is the best time of the year. Bluebonnets and other wildflowers add such color to the landscape. Helps make up for the dog days of August.

http://www.k5kj.net/SKYFIRE/WildFlowers/wf18.jpg

McZag
03-13-2007, 05:12 AM
As much as I hate ex-Zags working for other WCC opponents, Monson would have a huge impact on the league. He would bring the "anyone, anywhere" mentality to USD and their RPI would shoot up over night. He may not win 20 games his first year but the tone would definately be different. The better the WCC gets the more it helps us. So I say - Monson please come back West!

roxdoc
03-13-2007, 07:43 AM
[QUOTE=Angelo Roncalli;14016]I was in Moscow from '79 to '82. Big Munse picket up the mess Jarvis left and in 3 short years took a Big Sky team from the depths to a 27-3 season, including 4 wins over Pac-10 teams, and the Sweet 16...with players he recruited...Smith, Herbert, Kellerman, Kenny Owens out of JC, etc. Don Monson was also the assistant coach who a few years earlier recruited a guy named Magic Johnson to Michigan State.

Smith, Herbert, Kellerman, and Owens were not particularly superstars - but the excellent coaching really made them gell - they really had the chemistry, that coach Monson instilled. Didn't know about Magic, or to what degree the Monson involvment. He really was a terrific coach though.

Back to the thread: I think it would be very good for the league to have a little Monson magic put back in.

gamagin
03-13-2007, 08:05 AM
I'd like to see these coaches spread out and maybe compete at the tourney level, if they can get to that level.

I don't think it is particularly healthy, given a choice, to start eating each other's young (recruiting wars, systems, programs, loyalties etc) in order to survive as coaches.

that said, Monson will go where he thinks he can succeed, all friendships aside.

And that is as it should be. I'd just prefer they bat heads less often than in this winner-takes-all (loser takes a hike) league.

sonuvazag
03-13-2007, 08:28 AM
GU is safe from Monson's decision. If anything a couple more strong programs in the WCC might push the conference up and make GU's job easier because they will be able to use the conference to bolster recruiting.

I've heard SCU might be interested in Monson also... is there a rivalry brewing for second best program in the WCC?

IrishBulldog
03-13-2007, 08:29 AM

1. The City of Destiny;
2. All-American City, 1984;
3. America's #1 wired city;
4. Home to the world's second-largest wooden dome;
5. Birthplace of the late, Earl Anthony.

Need I go on?

:p

BobZag
03-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Monson will need good assistants. At GU he excelled with good assistants. Not so much at Minnesota. That's the key. X's and O's assistants.

AllezZags
03-13-2007, 08:31 AM
it seems that Monson would be a good fit, but I am concerned he will be hand-cuffed by USD's stringent entry standards ;)

(end of scarcasm)

ZagSlug
03-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Yes, but Earl Anthony's bowling alley is in my town of Dublin, CA.

I am all for the WCC getting the best coaches it can, if Monson had success again in the WCC and a BCS school came calling.....would he jump or stay?

thickman1
03-13-2007, 08:38 AM
I was in Moscow from '79 to '82. Big Munse picked up the mess Jarvis left and in 3 short years took a Big Sky team from the depths to a 27-3 season, including 4 wins over Pac-10 teams, and the Sweet 16...with players he recruited...Smith, Herbert, Kellerman, Kenny Owens out of JC, etc. Don Monson was also the assistant coach who a few years earlier recruited a guy named Magic Johnson to Michigan State.

I remember that time in Idaho basketball lore. I was probably 4-5 years old. I remember sitting watching games in the Kibbie Dome. Good ol' days.

thickman1
03-13-2007, 08:39 AM

I remember that time in Idaho basketball lore. I was probably 4-5 years old. I remember sitting watching games in the Kibbie Dome. Good ol' days.

I-D-A-H-O, Idaho Idaho, Go go go! First fight song that I knew...

roxdoc
03-13-2007, 08:41 AM
You want the good old days, try watching the Vandals in Memorial Gym!

UberZagFan
03-13-2007, 09:07 AM
1. The City of Destiny;
2. All-American City, 1984;
3. America's #1 wired city;
4. Home to the world's second-largest wooden dome;
5. Birthplace of the late, Earl Anthony.

Need I go on?

:pAnd don't forget:

Bob's World Famous Java Jive, a Puget Sound landmark, was built in 1927. It is 25 ft. high and 30 ft. in diameter, and has gone through a number of interior makeovers. When owned by Bob and Lylabell Radonich, it was a Polynesian themed place with a Jungle Room and two monkeys living there -- Java and Jive. Java Jive continues the trashy decor today.

http://www.djc.com/special/enviro97/16B.JPG

Angelo Roncalli
03-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Need I go on?

:p

I didn't start this whizzing match, but you seem to have omitted the following

Hilltop
Asarco
Tacoma aroma
Superfund sites
Hyelbos Waterway

And...you've left the best thing about Tacoma off your list: Frisko Freeze

ZagPants
03-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Since when did this become bleed over from the Geography Post Padding thread?

Thomas_Sutpen
03-13-2007, 09:37 AM
it seems that Monson would be a good fit, but I am concerned he will be hand-cuffed by USD's stringent entry standards ;)

Classic!!!:roll:

Ikancagin
03-13-2007, 09:48 AM

Hilltop
Asarco
Tacoma aroma
Superfund sites
Hyelbos Waterway

You left out birthplace of our McPhees (Bryce and Jim) and highschool of Casey Calvary not to mention Ron Cey, Bobby Moore, Ron Santo's cousins among others. As far as landmarks (short but famous) how about Galloping Gertie.

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
03-13-2007, 09:59 AM
against one another? I can't see that it would at all? Maybe from a one-upmanship kind of perspective? I suppose?

I just don't see it bugging coaches too much, but then again, I'm not one...hence the ask.

PS, can we give Tacoma to Oregon like for the centennial.5 or something?;)

UberZagFan
03-13-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm sure all that aroma won't be keeping Angelo from trying to get onto this course when it's complete, though. Certainly, 229Sinto will be trying to get me to work a tee time for him:

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/8760/9103006ib2.jpg

lothar98zag
03-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Nice view! (what's the address of that place?)

btw, USD and Monson could work. But no matter who they hire, USD must be willing to pay for quality assistants.

UberZagFan
03-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Nice view! (what's the address of that place?)

Chambers Bay (http://www.chambersbaygolf.com/)

Symi81
03-13-2007, 12:44 PM
I won't stand for Tacoma bashing. :)

Not unlike downtown Spokane, downtown Tacoma has experienced a resurgence in recent years.

Historic Union station was renovated in 1990. The Foss waterway was cleaned up and now has marinas & multifamily residential units popping up all around it. Several prominent museums have located downtown, including Museum of Glass, Washington History Museum, and Tacoma Art Museum. Sound Transit operates a (free) light rail streetcar through downtown (Spokane take note!). The Tacoma Convention Center opened in 2004.

The University of Washington, Tacoma moved to their current downtown location in 1997. his past fall they welcomed their first ever freshman class and will continue to expand. The campus includes some of Tacoma's oldest remaining industrial structures for campus classrooms and offices, instead of razing the buildings and erecting new ones. The decision has been heralded for its foresight. (take another note Spokane!) They made a supremely great decision locating downtown instead of an outlying area.

On the residential front, formerly dilapidated brick building have been converted into condos, apartments and lofts.

Tacoma is well on the way... :D

RenoZag
03-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Our company buys hundreds of tons of paper from Simpson, Tacoma, every month. . .Museum of Glass was indeed a treat to see on our last family trek to the PNW.

gamagin
03-13-2007, 01:14 PM
TACOMA

home of Ron Santos's cousin

I shant soon forget !

a13coach
03-13-2007, 01:33 PM
I won't stand for Tacoma bashing. :)
The University of Washington, Tacoma moved to their current downtown location in 1997. his past fall they welcomed their first ever freshman class and will continue to expand.
Becoming Husky-ville II is nothing to hang your hat on. EWU-DUB. That will only add to the Tacoma "fragrance". :D

229SintoZag
03-13-2007, 01:58 PM

Hilltop
Asarco
Tacoma aroma
Superfund sites
Hyelbos Waterway

Agreed on Frisko Freeze--that is an epic omission.

However, as to the others:

Hilltop--still a long way to go, but much improved and being redeveloped as we speak. Benefiting form the UW-T being just down the hill

ASARCO--gone. Environmental remediation well underway. If Bush were not president, ASARCO would still be paying for it too instead of allowing ASARCO to dodge its environmental liabilities by being bought by a Mexican outfit and spun off, fictitiously bankrupted, etc.

Hylebos Waterway--remediated or soon to be remediated. All that is left is the insurance coverage litigation, which should come to an end in the next 30 years if things stay on schedule.

Tacoma Aroma--over. A relic of the past. Thanks to Simpson for their millions spent on new scrubbers, etc.

Other superfund sites--not aware of many others, perhaps some are still being remediated in the tideflats but most are well on their way.

From what I understand I am already in the first foursome at Chambers Bay. If you want Uber I will let you caddy....

Bocco
03-13-2007, 03:57 PM
Tacoma is also home to my favorite watering hole - The Swiss located at 12th and Jefferson near the UW Tacoma. Never fail to go there when I am in town.

VanZagar
03-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Chambers Bay looks beautiful. Too bad about the golf part. I don't see Tacoma in the picture though.

Rangerzag
03-13-2007, 04:55 PM
And don't forget:

http://www.djc.com/special/enviro97/16B.JPG

Bob's World Famous Java Jive, a Puget Sound landmark, was built in 1927. It is 25 ft. high and 30 ft. in diameter, and has gone through a number of interior makeovers. When owned by Bob and Lylabell Radonich, it was a Polynesian themed place with a Jungle Room and two monkeys living there -- Java and Jive. Java Jive continues the trashy decor today.

Tacoma is so progressive it has even cleaned up Bob's World Famous Java Jive ;^)

siliconzag
03-13-2007, 07:33 PM
I've been to both Traben Trabach and Tacoma. I must say that both have their merits. However I think I am partial to Traben Trabach. My favorite Aunt lives there, which keeps me from completely bashing it. However in terms of comparing it Spokane, well, it's close, but Traben Trabach still wins.

Monson, he was the man when we went the deepest. The story about the shoot around is a classic. The team was very loose when they played Stanford. I always liked the guy. I was sorry to see him go.

Sili