PDA

View Full Version : Coach Graves signs 3 new Zags

BobZag
11-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Gonzaga University women’s basketball head coach Kelly Graves has announced the signing of three players to national letters of intent Thursday, the second day of the early signing period. Joining the Bulldogs next fall are Kaitlyn Petersen, a 5-7 guard from Mission Viejo High School in Mission Viejo, Calif., Meghan Winters, a 5-11 guard from Regis High School in Denver, Colo., and 5-10 forward Brittany Gray from Bainbridge High School in Bainbridge Island, Wash.

Petersen is widely considered among the top point guards in the nation. She is a three-time first team All-South Coast Conference honoree and was named the 2007-08 SCC Player of the Year. She averaged 21.0 points, 5.0 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 4.0 steal per game as a junior. The first team All-CIF and second team All-Orange County honoree led the SCC in scoring and steals.

“Kaitlyn has the best work ethic of any young person I’ve ever coached,” stated Dave Schute, head coach of TSINN AAU club team and Dana Hills High School. “Personally, I think she’s one of the best point guards to ever come out of Orange County and I’ve seen some very good ones over the years. What makes her special is her competitive nature and work ethic.”

Petersen was also selected all-tournament in the prestigious Nike End of the Oregon Trail and River City Classic basketball tournaments this past summer. A three-time team captain and two-time team MVP, Petersen set her school’s single-season scoring record in 2007-08 and had a career-high of 35 points last season.

“Simply put, Kaitlyn is the perfect fit for our basketball program and team,” stated Kelly Graves, in his ninth year at Gonzaga. “She fits our up-tempo style of play perfectly and has the ability to step right in and make an immediate impact. Kaitlyn is a competitor of a big-time nature, and displays the kind of on court presence that is a must for an elite point guard. She sees the floor so well, makes excellent decisions in the open court, and can shoot the 3-point as well as create for herself and others. She’s just one of those players who makes the right play at the right time, especially in big situations. A great point guard is the toughest position to fill and we are thrilled Kaitlyn is going to be a Zag.”

Winters was named 2008 First Team “All Colorado” by the Denver Post as a junior (one of only two players to earn this honor as a junior behind only Abby Waner from Duke and Anne Strother of Connecticut). She was named first team All-Continental League and was on the All-Aurora first team. Winters averaged 13.3 points, 6.2 rebounds, and 3.1 assists in leading her team to the state championship game last year.

“Meghan was the heart and soul of our basketball team last year,” said Carl Mattei, head coach of Regis High. “She is full of spirit and intensity and she guided us in almost every category. I am looking for Meghan to lead us to the state championship this season.”

Regis is 76-8 in Winters three years there and has been nationally ranked every year (they are currently ranked #6 in the nation by ESPN). Winters sister Keelin is currently a sophomore on the University of Portland’s women’s soccer squad.

“Meghan is a consummate team player, willing to do anything to help her team,” explained Graves, in his ninth year at Gonzaga. “She is a tremendous shooter with outstanding ball skills and has the ability to play any of the guard or small forward positions. She reminds me a lot of Jami (Bjorklund ) Schaefer in her length, strength, ability to play defense, her competitive nature, and in her solid understanding of the game of basketball. Meghan’s also a winner, coming from one of the top programs in the country and I look forward to her bringing that success with her here.”

Gray was one of only two juniors to be named to the Seattle Times Super Six last season, was named first team All-Metro as both a sophomore and junior and was named first team All-State by the Seattle PI and the Bremerton Sun.

“Brittany is a tremendous player and person,” said Penny Gienger, the head coach at Bainbridge High. “She’s always been her best when the game is on the line. She’s very competitive and will make a great player for the Zags.”

Gray, who was named Metro League MVP in 2007-08, averaged 19.0 points and 13.0 rebounds per game in leading Bainbridge to the Washington State 3-A tournament. She already is Bainbridge’s career leader in rebounds (835) and is second in scoring (1,280) with a season left. Gray is the sister of current men’s basketball player Steven Gray.

“Brittany is a stat machine,” said Graves. “She’s not the biggest or quickest player but she just knows how to get the job done at a high level. She’s very strong and has an uncanny ability to use her body, especially inside. She’s certainly one of the best rebounders the state has ever seen and I am confident that she will continue to be a great rebounder here. Brittany will have to adjust her game to facing the basket more but we’ll definitely utilize her post-up abilities when she has an advantage over a smaller defender.”

BobZag
03-24-2009, 05:13 PM
bump

spudzag
03-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Reloading with three very nice players. Great background sketch on each. ESPN rates Kaitlyn Peterson the #38 PG with a Grade of 83 and Meghan Winters #96 guard and a Grade of 73. The ESPN web site lists a forth player, Kelly Petersen a guard.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncw/recruiting/tracker/school?schoolId=2250&season=2009&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncw %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fschool%3fschoolId%3d2250 %26season%3d2009

Welcome aboard Kaitlyn, Meghan and Brittany.

spudzag
03-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Looking a little further ahead, 2010, ESPN list a couple of early prospects.

2010 Players Considering - Gonzaga
NAME POS HT WT SCHOOL RANK GRADE STATUS NOTES
Stephanie Golden Post 6-3 Miramonte H.S. (CA) 40 Undeclared
Kaitlin Meister Guard 5-8 Mountain View H.S. (AZ) 40 Undeclared

We will have some big shoes to fill after next season, Hather Bowman, Vivian Frieson and Tiffanie Shives.

Hopefully the tournament performance will help Coach Graves.

thickman1
03-25-2009, 04:25 AM
Lady Zags are going to dominate next year. I can't wait!