PDA

View Full Version : How Can The Zags Get a #1 Seed?

BobZag
11-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Lunardi projects the Zags as a two-seed (in Portland), and quite honestly, that's fine by me, but what would need to happen for Gonzaga and one-seed UCLA to swap places?

zagfan24
11-13-2008, 06:11 PM
1) At least make it to the championship of the OSC
2) No conference losses (maybe one if we win the OSC or sweep the below games)
3) Only one loss among Tennessee, Memphis, and UConn (can't be a blowout) and at least one big win (double digits) against WSU, Arizona, or Utah.

The rest, I suppose, is up to the performance of other teams. I think if we fail to do the above three, though, we probably won't get a 1. Two early exits the past two years will make it an uphill battle.

GoZags
11-13-2008, 06:18 PM
what would need to happen for Gonzaga and one-seed UCLA to swap places?

GU would need to replicate Lunardi's Hawks' undefeated run (regular season) and reach #1 in the nation to get a #1 seed, in my opinion.

http://philadelphia.about.com/b/2004/03/08/st-joes-hawks-number-one.htm

Reborn
11-13-2008, 06:21 PM
To be a #1 seed Gonzaga will have to:

Go undefeated in league, and not have more than 2 losses.

I do not think UCLA will be a number 1 seed. I think GU will be fighting the champion of the PAC 10 for the #3 spot in the west. I have a feeling the Big East is going to have 2 number 1 seeds. If GU is #2 in the West and lets say a Pittsburg comes out here, I like our chances.

MDABE80
11-13-2008, 06:30 PM
UCLA needs to lose 5 games. GU needs to lose only 2. OOC can only have 1 loss....likewise in league, GU must win by wide margins in most games. Most of all, the WCC tournament need to be owned by the Zags.

RenoZag
11-13-2008, 06:31 PM
GU would need to replicate Lunardi's Hawks' undefeated run (regular season) and reach #1 in the nation to get a #1 seed, in my opinion.

Agreed. Not being in a "power conference" means the Zags would have to be stellar to garner one of the first four slots; If they knocked off the marquee teams in the OOC schedule but lost a WCC game, they would probably be a 2 or 3.

The Hawks had a magical season; it could happen for the Zags if they can retain their depth for an entire year.

former1dog
11-13-2008, 06:31 PM
One or two losses max and none in conference play to get a #1 seed. That would include a WCC tourney championship win.

Not much room for error.

bigblahla
11-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Great question BZ.

I'd say Hell would have to freeze over but that happened when the Eagles got back together.

I can't imagine the stoggy dudes holed up in a hotel filling the brackets touting the merits of the Zags as a number 1 seed in the Dance unless we go undefeated. I don't think anything else will sway them from their bias BCS brain tumorism.

Go!! Zags!!!

NorthWestZag
11-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Being a "mid-major" sets the bar even higher.

To earn a one, we need to totally run the conference. 14-0 and an easy sweep in Vegas.

We can lose one game in the Body Odor Tourney, and one other game.

LongIslandZagFan
11-14-2008, 05:54 AM
Lunardi projects the Zags as a two-seed (in Portland), and quite honestly, that's fine by me, but what would need to happen for Gonzaga and one-seed UCLA to swap places?

Based on the bias against the WCC by the selection committee. There is nothing we can do to get a #1 seed. Undefeated will get us a 2 at best.

Colbyspapa
11-14-2008, 06:29 AM
I'm thinking no more than 2 losses but also, they need to have won their last 12-15 games. I don't think we can lose in league and get the #1. I can't remember too many teams with a number one see who had more than 3 losses from power conferences. Therefore, any more than two losses probably bumps us to a three seed.

gamagin
11-14-2008, 06:41 AM
We win all our important, highly ranked or finishing teams handily and those expected to be number one seeds throughout the season, falter in their efforts, either playing teams we have beaten or dropping in their own leagues and basically having bad seasons or too many high-profile, bad losses.

In other words, imo, it is out of our hands given the league we are in. However, given that the world is pretty much upside down at the moment, I hesitate to say never.

ZagMania
11-14-2008, 08:53 AM
I don't think it'd be nearly as impossible to get a #1 seed as the rest of you.

Its not like we aren't considered a national contender, we are ranked in the top 10 to start the season and several analysts have us in the final four. We have respect, if we have wins over UConn, Michigan St. and only have a couple hiccups against solid teams I think we would definitely have a shot.

UCLA isn't that good, they are going to lose their share of games. This is a down year as far as top teams go, I don't think we'll be seeing 4 other teams that play so well that we don't even stand a chance if we have an outstanding season. UCLA probably should have just lost to Miami of Ohio at home.. I mean if they lose that game last night aren't we already in the conversation for the #1 seed out West?

pbriz
11-14-2008, 08:56 AM
2 losses.

ZagnetitForce
11-14-2008, 09:08 AM
I think I would prefer the top #2 seed over the last #1 seed actually.

CanadZag
11-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Since the #6 seed we got in '02, I think the committee has been very fair to us in regards of seeding.

-The Big East will be brutal on teams this year. I believe the committee will recognize this (and rightly should) and award #1 seeds to the top two teams in that conference unless one team clearly stands out among the rest.

-We can pretty much chalk up UNC as a #1. Leaving one spot open.

-I don't think the SEC has a #1 seed team this year. Nor does the Big 12- unless Texas runs away with it. And I don't think Duke has what it takes to earn that spot out of the ACC. I think the Pac-10 does not have a standout team in my opinion.

This leaves the Big 10. Michigan St. and Purdue will both be prospects for the seed, but remember, last year Wisconsin won both the reg. season & conf. tourney but only got a 3!

I think we can lose three games (OSC final, another road OCC and one conference road game) this year and still get a #1. I think the key game will be Memphis. It's late in the year and it's Gameday. All eyes will be on that one (plus Memphis should be some X-double digit-and-0 in conference play). A big win would send a message to the rest of the country, both in seeding and otherwise.

cggonzaga
11-14-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't think it'd be nearly as impossible to get a #1 seed as the rest of you.

Its not like we aren't considered a national contender, we are ranked in the top 10 to start the season and several analysts have us in the final four. We have respect, if we have wins over UConn, Michigan St. and only have a couple hiccups against solid teams I think we would definitely have a shot.

UCLA isn't that good, they are going to lose their share of games. This is a down year as far as top teams go, I don't think we'll be seeing 4 other teams that play so well that we don't even stand a chance if we have an outstanding season. UCLA probably should have just lost to Miami of Ohio at home.. I mean if they lose that game last night aren't we already in the conversation for the #1 seed out West?

My sentiments exactly Zagmania. I think we could possibly lose 4 games and still get a 1 seed. Then again, I don't believe we'll lose more than 2 tops. I think we get a 1 seed this year!