PDA

View Full Version : Ohh geez it's starting already...

KSTATEZAG
11-13-2008, 09:52 AM
http://godisagael.yuku.com/topic/2205/t/SMC-v-GU.html

Gael Fan somehow thinks their first 5 are equal to ours and they have a deeper bench. I see a completely different match up.
What say you?

former1dog
11-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Gael Fan somehow thinks their first 5 are equal to ours and they have a deeper bench. I see a completely different match up.
What say you?

I believe strongly that we have a better team than St. Mary's and that our boys will prove it on the court.

I also don't fault the Gaels for thinking the exact opposite of what I believe. If they didn't think that, wouldn't it make them kinda crappy fans?

john montana
11-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Who on here thinks we'll blow them out? Certainly not me...i think every game we play against them will be a tight one.

KSTATEZAG
11-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Honestly I see the games going a lot like the game we played against them at home (the second match-up). 10 point win.

Edited to add:
They remain a 3 headed Monster- Samhan (Mid Level Center), Simpson (Good PF) , Mills (Will be an AA).
Zags are a 6 headed monster- Pargo (WCC POY, Honorable mention AA), Bouldin (Teams Leading Scorer), Downs (McD's AA), Daye (Lottery Pick), Heytvelt (First Rounder, Projected Lotto in '07), SG (Leading Scorer in Tournament Game, Best 3 point shooter in the WCC by %) .

CDC84
11-13-2008, 10:15 AM
If SMC beats out the Zags for the WCC title - which certainly could happen - it won't be because they have a more talented 1 thru 8 rotation. The Zags have 4-5 future pros, and the Gaels simply don't. You ask Katz, Goodman, Decourcy, Parrish or any of these national analysts, and they wouldn't even entertain the idea that St. Mary's matches up talent wise to Gonzaga across its main rotation. If the Gaels win the WCC, it will because they have a better team, which involves more than just talent. That and Mills developing into a transcendent level player.

bullzag23
11-13-2008, 10:21 AM
While I don't think by any means that we'll blow St. Mary's out, I do expect us to win at home and I'd say a neutral site(Vegas) would be a very close game. Remember we have lost at SMC for 2 years running now, and Moraga is a tough place to play.

I did find this to be pretty funny off of their boards though:

THE ONLY WEAKNESS I SAW IN US WAS OUTSIDE SHOOTING AND I BELIEVE THAT TO BE SOLVED
WE ARE GOING TO BE WAY MORE PHYSICAL THAN THE ZAGS

It just seemed like this one person was a little over the top, I wouldn't exactly call his views 'objective'. That's like saying Gonzaga only had ONE weakness last year, and I'd say every team in the country has at least one weakness, even unanimous #1 UNC(Defense....)

I also noticed that no one on SMC's boards really seemed to think much of our bench. May that be to our advantage, as I'm sure our non-starters would absolutely love to be overlooked.

MississppiZag
11-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Pargo vs Mills- Pargo, maybe push
Bouldin vs Hughes?- Bouldin
Micah vs O'Leary- Micah
Daye vs Simpson- Daye
Heytvelt vs Samhan- Heytvelt big time

Gray, Sacre, Meech against i have no idea who St Marys will have.

Let's face it head to head we have the better team. There is a reason we are in the top 10 and getting predictions for Final 4, while St Marys is not.

former1dog
11-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Listen, let's not be shocked about hyperbole on a fansite message board. That is partially the purpose. If St. Mary's fans are excited about their team, good for them. It shouldn't shock any of us.

Peace :)

Areyoukiddingme
11-13-2008, 10:36 AM
http://bluesparkspokane.com/shh.jpg

KSTATEZAG
11-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Listen, let's not be shocked about hyperbole on a fansite message board. That is partially the purpose. If St. Mary's fans are excited about their team, good for them. It shouldn't shock any of us.

Peace :)

C'mon get fired up buddy.

F1D= El Volce?
"The voice of reason...."

jim77
11-13-2008, 10:49 AM
I think some of the Gaels fans have it about right....Heytvelt is the x-factor. People are wondering if he'll have a good or bad year. Josh needs one thing to happen to have a great year...stay healthy. His natural ability is above anything ST.Mary's has...including Samhan. I actually have more fear of SD....they are a hard-nosed team.

MickMick
11-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Simpson and Mills = studs

Samhan = bleh (He wouldn't get much playing time on the Zag roster)

Josh appears to be "the man" so far. He should dominate inside.

Jakester425
11-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Simpson and Mills = studs

Samhan = bleh (He wouldn't get much playing time on the Zag roster)

Josh appears to be "the man" so far. He should dominate inside.

I couldnt disagree more. If Omar said tomorrow he wanted to be a Zag, I would take him in a heartbeat. He runs the floor extremely well for a big man. Also, he has given us trouble almost every game we have played against the Gaels. I think each game will be close and entertaining.

Rubbadub
11-13-2008, 12:00 PM
F1D= ...The voice of reason

:lmao:

xjzico
11-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Our team is probably better than most Gonzaga teams of the past decade.

I like this quote from a fan whose team has yet to win a post season NCAA tourney game.*

Also the general dismissal of Gray's game might come back to haunt them.

*correction: they won a game in 1959.

GUZagDenver
11-13-2008, 12:55 PM
I couldnt disagree more. If Omar said tomorrow he wanted to be a Zag, I would take him in a heartbeat. He runs the floor extremely well for a big man. Also, he has given us trouble almost every game we have played against the Gaels. I think each game will be close and entertaining.

Samhan is on the same level as Will Foster as a big man, and I wouldn't be suprised if Will has passed him. Samhan is a slug, who like John Bryant, has been playable in the WCC. These guys are not good centers, and would be bench players in any major conference. When Josh is healthy this year he will run Samhan into the ground. Samhan will be pounding his chest because he needs air, not because it's his tool bag celebration move. I may be biased because I am a Zag fan and I think that guy is the most annoying player in college basketball, but a guy like Samhan could never play at GU. Even our bigger guys (J.P., Viollette, Sacre) have been and are twice as athletic Samhan. Man I can't stand that guy......

cggonzaga
11-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Samhan is on the same level as Will Foster as a big man, and I wouldn't be suprised if Will has passed him. Samhan is a slug, who like John Bryant, has been playable in the WCC. These guys are not good centers, and would be bench players in any major conference. When Josh is healthy this year he will run Samhan into the ground. Samhan will be pounding his chest because he needs air, not because it's his tool bag celebration move. I may be biased because I am a Zag fan and I think that guy is the most annoying player in college basketball, but a guy like Samhan could never play at GU. Even our bigger guys (J.P., Viollette, Sacre) have been and are twice as athletic Samhan. Man I can't stand that guy......

Clearly your hatred for Samhan has obscured your judgment. Samhan is a very skilled big man and would definitely play here at Gonzaga based on abilities alone. Great passer for a big guy. Not sure the attitude would fly though. Josh is the only big man in the WCC I would take over Samhan or Bryant. Bryant is just a beast and have you seen the recent picture of him? Looks ready to go!