• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GoZags
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Bud Withers on the Zags

Seattle Times season preview:

What you were looking for wasn't found. Maybe we can help you figure out where to go.

Here are a couple of snipprts that I enjoyed.
    ---------------
    "Indeed, if there's a pressing question, it's whether the Zags have anybody to do the dirty work, having lost lunch-bucket graduates Abdullahi Kuso and David Pendergraft.

"That's the question of the year right there," says Few, who has been at Gonzaga two decades overall. "We're still going to have to figure that part out. Collectively, we're all going to have to do it."

Some of the grit will fall to a player a lot of people have never heard of: Ira Brown, a 6-foot-4, 235-pound, body-by-Fisher junior-college product who spent a few years as a pitcher in baseball's minor leagues. Brown will back Daye at the big-forward spot and should be a greater force than he was last year at the wing.

"I know what to expect from the coaches," says Brown, who is 26. "They want me to go out with energy, passion and desire, and be the muscle of the team."

---------------------
    A mercurial addition to the roster is 5-11 freshman guard Demetri Goodson, a Texan who can change the game with his speed.

"Goodson's a pest," says Pargo.

"He's going to help us a bunch this year, with his quickness and speed and ability to pressure all over the floor defensively," Few says. "Probably the most important thing is, he's different from what we have."
    sigpic
    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.
  • cggonzaga
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

"Goodson's a pest," says Pargo.
    My guess is we'll see a direct correlation between Pargo turning the ball over less because of having Meech here. I would also being willing to bet that teams turn the ball over against more this year because of Meech.

Comment

• GoZags
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cggonzaga View Post
      My guess is we'll see a direct correlation between Pargo turning the ball over less because of having Meech here. I would also being willing to bet that teams turn the ball over against more this year because of Meech.
      Jerry Krause (who agrees with cg) took the position that having Meech here is the best thing that's happened to Pargo as a player (even better than going to the pre-draft and high profile "camps"). Krause told the Seattle Alumni group that the head to head every day against Goodson will lead to incredible improvement for Jeramy.
      sigpic
      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
      ——-
      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• rennis
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2007

Good job Bud. You're no Blanchette, but you're the best thing for Seattle Zag fans out here...by a long shot.
        Originally posted by Coach Few
        We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• roxdoc
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

I love to read Blanchette with all the humor and flourishes, but for just plain reporting of the Zag situation it is pretty hard to beat Withers, year in and year out.

Comment

Working...
          X