PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins...

zagmantis2001
11-12-2008, 11:00 AM
So, the GU website states that there are a number of basketball tickets available to bulldog club members and then the general public if they are not sold.

Which means that the students didn't use all of their tickets. How many? I have no idea.

Bad sign when the the home opener and the second game of the season and the students don't show up at full capacity. What is the deal? There isn't a home game until December Kennel Club, better suck it up or kiss those tickets goodbye.

theothegreat21
11-12-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm not sure that is correct. A friend of mine went to get tickets on Monday afternoon, and he was told they were sold out

bigblahla
11-12-2008, 11:05 AM
As a Bulldog Club member who called to late :( , don't worry the first two home games are sold out.

Go!! Zags!!!

ZagnetitForce
11-12-2008, 11:11 AM
I called and got through finally around 9:30 and got the last 2 for Saturday and 2 for Tuesday (there were still 6 left after I took 2). I asked if these were student tickets and the girl did not know. I was floored that there were tickets available. I am hoping it is not student tickets, but rather Faculty and or MS-B tickets.

spudzag
11-12-2008, 11:12 AM
I called as a Bulldog Club Member this morning about 9:30 and got tickets to both games. Would be a shame if those tickets came at the price of the students.

wazZag
11-12-2008, 11:17 AM
I got tickets through BDC as well. This is typical for this point in the season. I don't plan on getting to see any WCC games live unless they are played in the Kennel when students are out of town. I was shocked that I wasn't able to get tickets for the Exhibition.

pbriz
11-12-2008, 11:23 AM
I think 229 Sinto will agree with me in saying that perhaps more students would attend if we actually scheduled some decent, if not good (let alone elite) teams to play in the Kennel.

I mean Idaho? Montana-Billings.......

Us students care about the home OOC schedule too

And by no means will I ever compare Gonzaga students to another school, but the consensus "best" student section in the nation just got called out.

http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2008/11/07/coach-k-calls-out-cameron-crazies-when-they-dont-fill-arena/

zagmantis2001
11-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Students get a free ticket to these games. Whether the issue is quality of the home schedule, Saturday/Monday vs. Thursday/Saturday schedule, or just plain apathy, the fact remains: if they don't show up, the seats will be gone.

Pargo the Destroyer
11-12-2008, 12:10 PM
wow. tell you what, Im not that far removed from my college days, get me a KC t-shirt and I will come and jump around for a few hours. Cant believe there are even a whiff of tickets available. Hopefully its bdc tickets and not students.

I will agree w. pbriz though, who really is going to be the best ooc team to come into the kennel? At this point they all look pathetic.

LongIslandZagFan
11-12-2008, 12:16 PM
I suspect that the tix are faculty and staff tix. Wouldn't bet my life on it though.

MBZags
11-12-2008, 12:42 PM
I can confirm that the students tickets are sold out for both games. It wasn't us.

gu03alum
11-12-2008, 12:48 PM
There were quite a few people lined up for staff and faculty tickets. There is a chance that there were a handful of tickets left, but I doubt it.

BroncoZAG615
11-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Students get a free ticket to these games. Whether the issue is quality of the home schedule, Saturday/Monday vs. Thursday/Saturday schedule, or just plain apathy, the fact remains: if they don't show up, the seats will be gone.

Both your posts have been pretty extreme considering that your initial post proved to be completely false. I'm really ready for the crowd debate to be done.

The KC is a great thing. If you think the students are the only problem with the crowd at K2 then you are dead wrong.. There were many holes in the crowd in the "paying area" during the exhibition game and they failed to sell out Kraziness in the Kennel...which was free.

gu03alum
11-12-2008, 01:02 PM
I would like to weigh in on this issue.

There are a lot of fans that are not students that are a waste of space at the game. They don't pay attention at all. They are concerned with who is at the game and who sees them at the game. They don't cheer. They get to the game late. They leave early to get in line for the drinks at half time. They come back late after drinking. When they do finally come back, they usually walk in front of me during a good play.

I have no problem with the student section at all. They come with energy and most are into the game.

rennis
11-12-2008, 01:14 PM
I think 229 Sinto will agree with me in saying that perhaps more students would attend if we actually scheduled some decent, if not good (let alone elite) teams to play in the Kennel.

I mean Idaho? Montana-Billings.......

I feel this is ridiculous. How spoiled do students seem when they don't want to show up unless it's against "worthy" competition in their eyes?

GU isn't likely to get elite competition to play in the Kennel...just not attractive financially to other schools and certainly not competitively...everyone knows they give up a lot by playing us in the Kennel.

I say show up for any game, no matter who the competition is. Just be happy you get to see them play, most of us don't at all...I consider myself lucky because I get to see them play live 2 times a year.

(I feel I have a right to speak. I went to every home game at GU through my undergrad and graduate programs, I didn't care who we played. Neither did my friends!)

zagmantis2001
11-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Both your posts have been pretty extreme considering that your initial post proved to be completely false. I'm really ready for the crowd debate to be done.

The KC is a great thing. If you think the students are the only problem with the crowd at K2 then you are dead wrong.. There were many holes in the crowd in the "paying area" during the exhibition game and they failed to sell out Kraziness in the Kennel...which was free.

I don't think there is anything "extreme" by my two posts at all. If the tickets were not student tickets for these two games, then I'm happy I am wrong. The references to home games and game times were excuses last year that the students used when they in fact did not show up for games. I'm merely pointing out that if the students don't use them, those tickets will be gone. You may be tired of the debate, but if the problem persists, it isn't going away. Hopefully, it won't be an issue.

There is a huge difference between exhibition games, free scrimmages and a regular season game. In fact, you are dead wrong about the scrimmage-the place was nearly full and I would bet that most of those people were not season ticket holders. It was a huge success and I hope that they will continue to improve it.

GUZagDenver
11-12-2008, 01:33 PM
I graduated in 2006, and from what I have heard from the younger siblings of my friends, the decline in the student section can be attributed to the school's involvement in the Kennel Club. Gonzaga never wanted to have anything to do with the Kennel Club until Gonzaga became nationally prominent. We were not even allowed to use the school's real logo on the Kennel Club shirts, because the school did not want involvement, which was great. The Kennel club was totally independent and was able to raise their own funds and do what they wanted. The biigest draw to basketball games was that you could go to KC parties before and after the game and get hammered for free. Everyone was crazy because no one could see straight. Now Gonzaga wants to be involved, the pre-parties have dwindled, and the draw to basketball games just aren't as big, especially since most of the games are earlier in the day. No 19-22 year old wants to go to a 5pm basketball game totally sober. I am sure this is not something that many of the older (and now more respnsible) alumni want to hear, but it's becoming the truth. Basketball games used to be a big party for the students in the student section. Now everyone is sober and it's lame.

pbriz
11-12-2008, 01:48 PM
I feel this is ridiculous. How spoiled do students seem when they don't want to show up unless it's against "worthy" competition in their eyes?

GU isn't likely to get elite competition to play in the Kennel...just not attractive financially to other schools and certainly not competitively...everyone knows they give up a lot by playing us in the Kennel.

I say show up for any game, no matter who the competition is. Just be happy you get to see them play, most of us don't at all...I consider myself lucky because I get to see them play live 2 times a year.

(I feel I have a right to speak. I went to every home game at GU through my undergrad and graduate programs, I didn't care who we played. Neither did my friends!)

I also go to every home game, but I will also speak up and say that I do care who we play. Why shouldn't I? Just because I get in for free (hardly! Tutition=30k+) That being said I always go and make an effort to get rowdy, but I am not so naive that I don't think the team we are playing doesn't have an effect on how many students go. Call them spoiled, bad fans, whatever but it is just natural for a student not to care as much when the team is horrible (and I mean 200RPI+ horrible).

P.S. the student tickets sold out.

ZagnetitForce
11-12-2008, 03:14 PM
I can confirm that the students tickets are sold out for both games. It wasn't us.

I knew it couldn't be the students! Way to go KC!!!!

gbnyba17
11-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Now Gonzaga wants to be involved, the pre-parties have dwindled, and the draw to basketball games just aren't as big, especially since most of the games are earlier in the day. No 19-22 year old wants to go to a 5pm basketball game totally sober. I am sure this is not something that many of the older (and now more respnsible) alumni want to hear, but it's becoming the truth. Basketball games used to be a big party for the students in the student section. Now everyone is sober and it's lame.

hahahahaha. great point here. as a student, i can speak to this. the KC is not longer allowed to have parties before the game. that is why they now have open tabs at J & Ds or the Bulldog after the game. but as a result, what is the under 21 crowd supposed to do? because there are really no parties before the game, many of the wishy washy basketball fans, who used to go as a social event and to party with their friends, now dont even show up.
theyd rather do their own thing and watch it on tv.

the point about the strength of schedule, whether you agree with it or not, is valid and true. i go to the games no matter who we play, because i LOVE college basketball and LOVE the zags. but the realization is that not everyone does. i cant even count how many people i have talked to that say "yea im not going to go wait in line for tickets because i could care less about idaho or billings-montana. i will just wait and see if there are tickets on monday." like i said earlier, it is what happens, whether you like it or not.

so heres to Gonzaga letting the KC go and letting them do what they want! i also am a big supporter of the KC printing out chants and different things to cheer about during the game. i know oregon does this. when you look at the KC, the first 3 or 4 rows are always very engaged and crazy. but after that it REALLY falls off. i think having printed out chants and what not would really help these people get involved and would encourage them to do so. Essentially, the KC would be doing the homework for the less intense fans, and as a result the KC would become louder and better as a whole!

BroncoZAG615
11-12-2008, 03:24 PM
I don't think there is anything "extreme" by my two posts at all. If the tickets were not student tickets for these two games, then I'm happy I am wrong. The references to home games and game times were excuses last year that the students used when they in fact did not show up for games. I'm merely pointing out that if the students don't use them, those tickets will be gone. You may be tired of the debate, but if the problem persists, it isn't going away. Hopefully, it won't be an issue.

There is a huge difference between exhibition games, free scrimmages and a regular season game. In fact, you are dead wrong about the scrimmage-the place was nearly full and I would bet that most of those people were not season ticket holders. It was a huge success and I hope that they will continue to improve it.

Let's just wait until the first couple games get going before you come to my house and take my tickets away.

The place wasn't nearly full for Kraziness. The chunks of seats empty at the top of the stadium was large and noticeable and I prayed that they didn't show a pan view of the gym of TV because a city the size of Spokane should be able to fill up 4800 seats (1200 for kids) for Kraziness.

I'm struggling to see the reason why seats were empty in the paid areas for the exhibition game and Kraziness. I know people want to see regular season games but I would estimate that Kraziness in the Kennel was one of the largest spectacles to take place at K2. It was the only time I was embarrassed of the crowd because I honestly thought 8,000 people would show up and people were going to have to be turned away.

bigblahla
11-12-2008, 04:52 PM
I've got no axe to grind here but as far as the kennel not being filled for the Kraziness night it's marketing. Do a better job and yes people will be turned away. It's not hard but it does have to be coordinated with a target in mind. Press releases and announcements combined with a sampling of ads is not going to do it.

The current Lady Zag marketing gimic is awesome but it's not going to fill K2 for all their home games and it's one of the best I've seen in years. If you have no target you don't hit one. It's a goal oriented world, no goals no progress.

Lady Zags should easily pull 5000 a game, why not? With the new game times set to not conflict with the men's schedule it's just a matter of a concentrated marketing effort with a set goal in mind.

As far as the Kennel Club goes set them free. You're only young once so go for the gusto but observe a sense of personal responsibilty and remember who you represent.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

zagmantis2001
11-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Let's just wait until the first couple games get going before you come to my house and take my tickets away.

The place wasn't nearly full for Kraziness. The chunks of seats empty at the top of the stadium was large and noticeable and I prayed that they didn't show a pan view of the gym of TV because a city the size of Spokane should be able to fill up 4800 seats (1200 for kids) for Kraziness.

I'm struggling to see the reason why seats were empty in the paid areas for the exhibition game and Kraziness. I know people want to see regular season games but I would estimate that Kraziness in the Kennel was one of the largest spectacles to take place at K2. It was the only time I was embarrassed of the crowd because I honestly thought 8,000 people would show up and people were going to have to be turned away.

Sure, hopefully it won't be an issue. However, I wouldn't show up to your house to get your tickets. The Athletic Department would just stop giving them to you--and then sell them.

I was more embarrassed last year when the two pie shaped sections of the student sections were half-full (and the ones that did show up sat on their seats) for several games than I was about the number of people showing up for an exhibition game. Two years ago, there were a lot more empty seats at the free event than this year.

gbnyba17
11-12-2008, 06:24 PM
the student section not full for several games last year...?? unless you're talking about the games over christmas break, (where students are home for the holidays so what else would u expect?) then i have no idea what you're talking about. its happened on a rare occasion but to say "several times" has to be an overstatement.

ZagNut08
11-12-2008, 07:39 PM
some people don't, and refuse to accept that, even if there are half sections empty in the corners, the full amount of students can be there.

students dont sit all game, and don't have the need for one seat per person.

I was always in the first few rows last year as a senior, and there would always be at least 3-5 people in the row who didn't have a seat

Multiply that by the first 7 rows in the middle three sections and you already have a few empty rows. 21*4 = 84 empty seats in the corner sections

I am not always defensive of the KC, I think the enthusiasm dwindled over my four years there 2004-2008. I felt a serious drop off after a certain chant during the st marys game a few years back. the in-your-face, anything goes aggression that used to be a trademark of the student section was taken from us in a smear campaign started by fellow student

75Zag
11-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Your anxiety would be cute if it was not so annoying.

I don't care if the entire GU home season crowd consists of two blind monkeys and a priest, so long as GU wins each and every game. All this talk about who is or who is not a loyal or true fan has nothing to do with wins and losses.

Once you start buying into the "great crowd" theory, you are at risk of buying into the "we lost, but it was a great crowd" BS.

Win = good.

Lose = bad.

I don't care who is watching.

zagmantis2001
11-13-2008, 08:12 AM
the student section not full for several games last year...?? unless you're talking about the games over christmas break, (where students are home for the holidays so what else would u expect?) then i have no idea what you're talking about. its happened on a rare occasion but to say "several times" has to be an overstatement.

Two games-2/12/08 and 1/3/08 (LMU and Portland) were both played after the students came back. There were threads all over this board after those games about the lack of student attendance.

GUZagDenver
11-13-2008, 08:50 AM
hahahahaha. great point here. as a student, i can speak to this. the KC is not longer allowed to have parties before the game. that is why they now have open tabs at J & Ds or the Bulldog after the game. but as a result, what is the under 21 crowd supposed to do? because there are really no parties before the game, many of the wishy washy basketball fans, who used to go as a social event and to party with their friends, now dont even show up.
theyd rather do their own thing and watch it on tv.

That is exactly my point. When I was there we had the pre/post parties AND the open tabs at Northern Lights. Making basketball a social event, turns the wishy washy fans into hard-core fans.

bullzag23
11-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Two games-2/12/08 and 1/3/08 (LMU and Portland) were both played after the students came back. There were threads all over this board after those games about the lack of student attendance.

Look, I'm still a grad student, and I know for a FACT that in my time as an undergrad at GU they have never, ever opened the dorms up to students as early as January 3rd. ....

Ok I looked into it and it seems you were just off on the dates, the Portland game last year was on 01/28/08, and LMU was 02/11/08

But regardless I simply have to agree with this statement:

Your anxiety would be cute if it was not so annoying.

I don't care if the entire GU home season crowd consists of two blind monkeys and a priest, so long as GU wins each and every game. All this talk about who is or who is not a loyal or true fan has nothing to do with wins and losses.

Once you start buying into the "great crowd" theory, you are at risk of buying into the "we lost, but it was a great crowd" BS.

Win = good.

Lose = bad.

I don't care who is watching.

As sad as it may be that students weren't filling K2 for these games, I could care less as long as GU keeps winning.

MDABE80
11-13-2008, 10:25 AM
You guys are killin me. I remember when the place had about 300 to 400 people show up for a game. The beer was hidden in a snowbank. But we had lots of fun without the ritual you guys have. Just go and have some fun with this team winning. After the game, kegger or a run downtown or over to the Bulldog or Joey's was enough. You guys are sooooooo spoiled!

Go study!!!