PDA

View Full Version : GU Basketball Marketing Techniques

ToreroStudent
11-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Hey guys,

As a Torero student and marketing representative, one of my main focuses at school is getting more students and local residents in the stands for mens basketball games. This, of course, is not an easy task, even with the recent success of the team.

As you guys are exemplary of success for mid-major schools, I was wondering what some of GU's marketing techniques are. What kinds of things related to GU do you see in your everyday activities? For instance: Does GU have a commercial that runs locally? What does it say? Did it have an effect on you?

Do you guys get mailers or pamplets with team schedules?

Does the university use any other techniques?

Thanks for the help guys. I just want to educate myself for when I finally do have the power to make an impact. Anything and everything you put in here is helpful. Again, thank you.

-TS

former1dog
11-12-2008, 09:33 AM
I'm sure you're going to get more informed responses to your inquiry, but I think the bottom line for Gonzaga's marketing success relies on 2 very simple things.

1 - GU hoops wins, a lot.

2 - GU is located in Spokane, WA, which is an extremely small market with few viable competitors for the fans GU draws due to reason #1.

MedZag
11-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Agreed with f1d. The number 1 reason GU hoops has been able to do what we have is that it has become a cultural and societal phenomenon. If you don't like college ball before getting to GU as a student, you quickly learn to love it as the axis of social events at GU tends to revolve around the basketball schedule. It permeates print and conversaion all throughout campus. Combined with the fact that there isn't a plethora of things for college aged students to do in Spokane and that the weather tends to attract students to indoor venues in the winter and you got a willing recipe. This is something USD can't really "do" anything about except for to keep willing to keep interest up over a long period of time, keep the program exciting, and hope for it to evolve in course. And there's always a lot more things in San Diego to distract students than just basketball. As you like to say, "you guys live where we spring break."

From a community standpoint, the Zags are essentially the #1 ticket item for representing the city of Spokane itself. Sure we got the Chiefs, Shock, and Indians, but nothing gets more exposure and brings more excitement than the Zags. Business signs around town express their gratitude and support of the team, the Zags successess and failures are front page news for the Sports section, etc. This is something you really can't do anything about. You'll never gain more coverage or more exposure than the Chargers, for instance. Though you might have a shot at taking over the Padres ;)

JLGutrocks
11-12-2008, 12:09 PM
There are a bunch of commercials starring the GU Bball players that run during season usually. Might be some of em on YouTube.

Psychozag
11-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Those commercials are using the players to advertise the University, not the program itself. There is a waiting list for season tickets, and all the games are sold out. They never advertise for games themselves, except the Battle in Seattle.

DenDiegoZag
11-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Just win baby!

But seriously, I would say that as far as marketing on campus goes Gonzaga was lucky to have the Kennel Club start when it did with such avid fans even when the team was not so good. Going to games is now as MedZag said part of the "Gonzaga Culture" and student experience. Gonzaga does not have to market the games or the team to the students because the upperclassmen indoctrinate the underclassmen as they come into their first season.

That said, basically what Fd1 and everyone else has said is true. The team is so popular that it is used to advertise the school and even used as promotions for local businesses. I know that with your "Beat Gonzaga" t-shirts you have had corporate sponsorship in the past, so I think that having a give away item at each game might help. Other than that, pray for one of our 11 rainy days a year to fall on each game day and maybe the student will pack the stands.

SDzagster
11-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Gonzaga has the gear - the improved Bulldog logo - see Gutrocks bulldog. USD has a good team, good coach, now they need to introduce a better mascot - get rid of that dufus mascot and get 3 or 4 athletic guys to dress up like matadors and be part of the cheerleading squad. Then start selling gear - shirts, jackets, etc. Think Chicago Bulls - get a logo with a Blue Bull with white horns with a red flag background....shouldn't be that difficult to find a local designer.

bigblahla
11-12-2008, 07:26 PM
I can't comment on getting students to the games but there are ways to involve and attract the general public and if your efforts are coordinated you will see positive results.

First, define your target exactly how many tickets do you want to move.

A tele-sales campaign backed with fax and emails to businesses and corporations in and around the San Diego area offering booster packs of tickets and T-shirts at group rates for employees as spiffs will work.

As you are dealing with a hopefully improving product with a finite capacity use any unsold tickets as an enticement. Start with elementary schools working with PTO's and PTA's offer them the tickets at a reduced price and let them sell them as fundraisers for their groups and schools bringing maybe two or three schools to each home game and acknowledge their attendance at the games.. The object is to bring family groups to the JC and in the process as the team progresses you are building a new found fan base from a young age group ground up. If you have 6-11 year olds with parents coming to the games and the Toreros can capture their hearts you will have an ever increasing fan base.

Obviously none of the above can happen witout the blessing of the university hierarchy and it's not a one person show but I have used both methods to increase market awareness and sales and know with proper planning and coordination they both work.

There is a difference between having tickets for sale and selling tickets. The Zags sometimes have tickets for sale the Toreros need to sell tickets.

Good Luck in your endeavor.

Go!! Zags!!!

SteelCityZag
11-13-2008, 06:13 AM
I'd consider moving USD 500 miles inland so it's not so close to so many damn beautiful beaches.

Just a thought.

MJGoGaels
11-13-2008, 09:47 AM
I'd consider moving USD 500 miles inland so it's not so close to so many damn beautiful beaches.

Just a thought.

Beaches... you mean ladies, right?

Having attending USD's Law School - best place to be miserable, the eye-candy made it all bearable second only to the surfing (beaches), and being able to play softball at 10 pm at night in only a long sleeve T-shirt in December!

SteelCityZag
11-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Beaches... you mean ladies, right?

Having attending USD's Law School - best place to be miserable, the eye-candy made it all bearable second only to the surfing (beaches), and being able to play softball at 10 pm at night in only a long sleeve T-shirt in December!

Exactly,

Beautiful beaches and beautiful ladies - with one comes the other.