PDA

View Full Version : MSU-B a winner

Zagtana
11-12-2008, 08:51 AM
The Zags next opponent, MSU-Billings, opened their season with a 96-91 win over Dickenson State. MSU shot 57% from the field, and had four players in double figures - led by Michael Hall with 32 pts. For more ...

www.msubillings.edu/athletics

malmer7
11-12-2008, 09:57 AM
i think we'll be okay... i'm not sure what the line is, butwe'll handle them by 30+. i'm just disappointed i'll be out of town this weekend and won't get to take advantage of my new fox sports package!

catgrizinsider
11-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Hello from Billings, thought I'd give you guys the lowdown on my alma mater's history vs. Gonzaga

We are 1-8 against your program, with the lone win coming back in the 60s. I think it's been at least 30 years since the two schools have met. Remember, Gonzaga used to play in the Big Sky conference way back, and our school usually played Montana, Montana State, Weber State, etc... and other Big Sky schools, in the non-conference (not anymore though).

This will be the first time in history as Montana State-Billings, but when the school was known as Eastern Montana College (changed around '94) we played three ranked schools...

Dec. 1, 1979 lost at #18 Marquette 75-36
Dec. 30, 1980 beat #11 Texas A&M 39-38 in OT (at home)
Nov. 26, 1991 lost at #14 Utah 89-42

last time we played a D-1 opponent was BYU about three seasons ago...we got crushed.

This team was 1-28 last year, so I'm not expecting much at all. It'll be fun to see on TV and possibly Sportscenter for once. As a Zags supporter as well it will surely be a fun game to watch, just hope my Jackets can keep it within 40!

TheZagPhish
11-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Nice to see you, cginsider! Welcome!

I appreciate the history. I have got to find out more about that 1980 win over A&M.

From the article (http://www.msubillings.edu/athletics/08-09_News/MenBasketball/ExhibDSU.html) referenced above your guys sound determined and talented. Should be a good experience for coach Pfeifer, too. I'm really looking forward to the game.

LynetteG
11-13-2008, 08:13 AM
dang... i thought of Michigan State when I saw the title... lol... i guess shall see them soon enough in the Old Spice Classic, that is if we win the first game!

DrDrivel
11-13-2008, 02:46 PM
How did two teams go to OT in 1980 and neither of them reach 40 points? That's absurd. Maybe in 1949. But 1980?

former1dog
11-13-2008, 02:48 PM
We are 1-8 against your program, with the lone win coming back in the 60s.

I wonder if that is when the elder Felix McGown played for EMC?

mtzaga
11-13-2008, 04:23 PM
MSU-B (formerly known as Eastern Montana College) beat Texas A & M in the 1980 KOA Classic held in Billings. AM had lost the night before to UC Irvine. A&M came into that game with a No. 11 national ranking and a 7-0 record.

UCI is now coached by Pat Douglass. He coached EMC for about 5 years, ending in 1987. In his last year, he took EMC to the Division II final four, but they lost in the semis to Gannon University.

The KOA Classic has been gone for quite a while, but the old-timers still talk about the good teams that played there.

In 1996, MSU-B beat Oregon State in Corvallis.

St. Mary's Gaels Carlin Hughes and Lucas Walker played at MSU-B three years ago before transfering for better competition.

catgrizinsider
11-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Yes...EMC (and MSUB) hoops used to be a real treat, they could light it up from three like no other in the NCAAs at one point in the early-to-mid 90s. That Oregon State game scared every other D-I program from scheduling them.

Believe it or not, in the Texas A&M game, EMC outscored TAMU 1-0 in OT.

According to the game story, MSUB took possession at 3:10 of overtime after a defensive rebound and held the ball until :30 were left before TAMU's Reggie Roberts stole it. TAMU then called a timeout and planned to hold for the final shot.

TAMU's Tyrone Ladson tried to get by EMC's Calvin Weinberg as the seconds ticked off, but Weinberg was able to slap a hand at the ball. The ball ricocheted off of Ladson's leg and into Weinberg's hands with four seconds left. As Weinberg raced down the court for the potential game-winning layup, he was fouled by Ladson. Weinberg missed the first and Dick Edwards, the EMC coach, called a timeout to settle him down. With one second remaining, Weinberg cooly made the last free throw to nail down the win.

What a game, but it was due to games like those that the shot clock was finally installed into the college game.

BTW, I took a course with Carlin Hughes about four years ago. It was fun to see those two on TV last year with St. Mary's.