PDA

View Full Version : SI Rankings

Angelo Roncalli
11-12-2008, 08:23 AM
SI's college basketball preview issue is about to hit the stands. SI's rankings:

1. North Carolina
2. Connecticut
3. UCLA
4. Louisville
5. Purdue
6. Notre Dame
7. Pittsburgh
8. Duke
9. Texas
10. Tennessee
11. Memphis
12. Michigan State
13. Gonzaga
14. Georgetown
15. Marquette
16. Arizona State
17. Oklahoma
18. Davidson
19. Miami
20. Villanova

TheZagPhish
11-12-2008, 08:41 AM
We're doomed.

roxdoc
11-12-2008, 08:44 AM
They didn't put us on the front page did they?

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Does anyone else think that Davidson is getting a little too much credit? I think the loss of the nation's leader in assists/game is gonna hurt that team a lot more than people think. IMO, Saint Mary's is a much more complete team, and will likely have a better season than, Davidson.

Then again, maybe I'm still bitter about losing to them last year and don't wanna give them any credit as a result.

MDABE80
11-12-2008, 09:57 AM
Davidson is hanging it's entire hat on a shooting guard we know a bit about. Not the team..just him. If we beat Ok St in OS, we'll be seeing Michigan St next. I suppose it's that game that'll shed some light on how good the Zags are. This ranking is a top 15. It's a fair ranking.

malmer7
11-12-2008, 10:00 AM
i like a #13 ranking a lot more than i like our #10 spot. #13 gives us more of that "underdog" drive (i can't believe i'm using that term for a #13 team) and we all know the zags play better/harder in that roll. we're going to have PLENTY of chances to improve or justify our ranking through this year... crazy excited to get this season going!

theothegreat21
11-12-2008, 10:04 AM
We were actually able to see the Colege Basketball preview before it comes out, and the Gonzaga preview is very good. Lots of great quotes from Austin

Rubbadub
11-12-2008, 10:08 AM
We're doomed.

Seconded.

dnj116
11-12-2008, 10:26 AM
I like our ranking of 13 for our program. But on a personal note, having UCLA #3 and us 10 spots back doesn't bode well for my basketball arguments with my roommate. He's a die hard UCLA fan.

bullzag23
11-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZagPhish
We're doomed.

Seconded.

As unlucky as the number 13 can be, let's all try and remember that the worst number to be in when it comes to SI preseason rankings is always #1. Given the early injuries to Hansbrough and Ginyard, perhaps the SI curse is already taking hold....

MississppiZag
11-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Michigan State have Morgan and Lucas. The rest are role players. Suton is an unproven scorer, but a very good rebounder. Summers and Allen are athletic and can shoot. They have Ibok, Gray, and Suton in the front court. I guess you could count Morgan(6'7''). Roe is still working on his injury, according to rivals. We will match up very well. I look for a very good and very early win. That will solitify us, for the time being, as a top 10 team.

This may just be my homer prediction. But i just don't see where there scoring is going to come from besides Lucas and Morgan. Maybe Suton. I may be underrating the guards: Allen and Summers.

We will find our way into the top 10. For now the ranking is fine. Besides the "real" poll has us in the top 10. (AP)

kdaleb
11-12-2008, 03:43 PM
i like a #13 ranking a lot more than i like our #10 spot. #13 gives us more of that "underdog" drive (i can't believe i'm using that term for a #13 team) and we all know the zags play better/harder in that roll. we're going to have PLENTY of chances to improve or justify our ranking through this year... crazy excited to get this season going!

This gave me a good chuckle. Not because its terribly silly. Just thinking back ten years, when the idea of getting _any_ votes in _any_ ranking just about made folks fall over sideways. Now we're in a place where folks say with a straight face that a #13 pre-season ranking gives the Zags an underdog feeling.

Sometimes you just have to remember that we're playing with house money.

SpartyOn
11-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Michigan State have Morgan and Lucas. The rest are role players. Suton is an unproven scorer, but a very good rebounder. Summers and Allen are athletic and can shoot. They have Ibok, Gray, and Suton in the front court. I guess you could count Morgan(6'7''). Roe is still working on his injury, according to rivals. We will match up very well. I look for a very good and very early win. That will solitify us, for the time being, as a top 10 team.

This may just be my homer prediction. But i just don't see where there scoring is going to come from besides Lucas and Morgan. Maybe Suton. I may be underrating the guards: Allen and Summers.

We will find our way into the top 10. For now the ranking is fine. Besides the "real" poll has us in the top 10. (AP)

Durrell Summers will probably end up being our top scorer this season if he improves on his defense. He has the best inside/outside game I've seen from a Spartan in a long time. Allen is a shooter, but hasn't shown the consistency to be a reliable scorer.

Our packup PG, Korie Lucious, is just as fast as Lucas (believe it or not), and he's shown the ability to create a lot of scoring opportunities. I don't think scoring is going to be our concern this season. You can check out the exhibition games on the Big Ten Network website. I believe they are archived.

MississppiZag
11-13-2008, 04:21 AM
I saw Summers went for 30 in the one against Northern Michigan. I also saw Suton score 1 point in the same game. I have never been a big fan of his. Everyone knows what the guards can do. I just don't see where the consistent scoring will come from in the front court. On the other hand Defense will definitely have no problem this yr. If the guards besides Lucas(Allen and Summers have improved, i just have not seen them actually play, besides last yr) can score consistently then Mich St can beat anyone. It will be an exciting game. Very talented teams. Both are final four contenders. I just really like our chances. I plan on watching the Idaho vs Mich St game next week. To see if i am wrong on the frontcourt scoring.:)

Good luck on the season, drop in every once in a while, especially during the OSC.;)

SpartyOn
11-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Mississippi, I forgot to add a couple of things. I agree that Suton is almost as overrated as Neitzel and I've been counting the days until he graduates for the last 5 years, but he actually appears to be servicable this year. As long as he doesn't get in the way of the good players he could have a solid year. I believe he averaged a double-double last season and he's looked decent in the two exhibition games (scoring nonwithstanding). Unfortunately, he's probably going to get more minutes than he deserves- like 30/game!

I think the big surprise this year will be Marquise. The kid was a 5-star prospect but has shown nothing as a collegiate player. This is going to be the year that he breaks out. Not because he's improved that much, but because Neitzel graduated and we will actually get back to the legendary Spartan fastbreak. That's Quise's game. He can get out and run with anyone and finish like a freak. Expect him to average 10 pts./game.

The big scoring (frontcourt) is going to come from Delvon Roe. He's recovering from knee surgery and hasn't been able to play significant minutes yet. Izzo is trying to slowly build up his minutes, but he may not be 100% until the start of Big Ten play. Wait until you see this kid. Great shot and athleticism. Great passer. Knows how to get open. He'll give us 10-15 tough minutes in the early part of the season.

MississppiZag
11-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Trust me everyone knows about Roe. Kid is an athlete. I am glad we won't have to see this kid later in the season, when he is fully healthy and comfortable. Marquise is very athletic as well. Suton avg 9 and 8, like you said almost avg a double double. He was non existent last yr during the 2nd half on conf play. No one can argue with the guard play. They will be great. As well as Raymar.

The only reason i see us winning is because it is early in the season, Roe will be rehabbing, although playing limited minutes, and judging by recent reports, this team is playing together and for each other. I don't think anyone will want to play MSU late in the yr, including UNC. They will be dangerous, when they get cohesive and start jelling. Losing Neitzel was a blessing. It is time for Raymar to take over.:)

bullzag23
11-13-2008, 09:23 AM
SI put out the rest of their projected tourney field today, including both SMC and USD(25th and 45th, respectively):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/ncaa/11/11/best.of.the.rest/index.html?eref=T1

BroncoZAG615
11-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Check it out...

http://thekennelreport.blogspot.com/2008/11/sports-illustrated-ranks-zags-lucky-13_13.html

It's a very good breakdown by SI