PDA

View Full Version : Wischusen and Branch to work WCC games for ESPN

BoltZag
11-11-2008, 04:15 PM
ESPN has announced their NCAA broadcast crews for this year. Not many changes.

Bob Wischusen and Adrian Branch will work our WCC games on ESPN/2. Those of you who have ESPNU will recognize Branch (or "AB") as the studio analyst. Wischusen is a real up and comer with ESPN working college football and arena football, among other sports, for the worldwide leader.

Also of note, Bob Knight is moving to the broadcast booth and will work alongside Musberger and Shulman on the A-team. Expect The General to be in town for Memphis (although Vitale will still work the actual game with Shulman).

Brad Nessler and Jimmy Dykes will work the Tennessee game.

Akzag
11-11-2008, 04:32 PM
I'll miss Jimmy ... Hubert, not so much. They have both, however, given us good props the past few years.

CDC84
11-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Not much of a fan of Mr. Branch - at least when it comes to his studio work. I was hoping that we might get Bardo again.

MBZags
11-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Never heard of either guy, but I hope they can beat the amazingness that is Craig Ehlo and Greg Heister.

MississppiZag
11-11-2008, 06:18 PM
How dare you? Take it back!!!!

I mean it.:)

AFZag
11-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Does it really matter if the mute is on? j/k I listen to every word annoucers say...How else would I know what's going on.

Nevtelen
11-11-2008, 11:26 PM
I must say I'm dissapointed. I really don't like Branch very much and I can take or leave Wischusen. I'll really miss Bardo and Gannon - they have been fantastic IMO over the past couple of seasons. They bring a lot of color to the broadcast and Bardo always has some intelligent things to say. Oh well.

Pargo the Destroyer
11-12-2008, 08:49 AM
bardo no mo? That sucks, really like that guy. He had a call last year in one of the away games where Ira! hammerd down a sick dunk and all I remember hearing was bardo saying WOOOOOOO! when he threw that down. No commentary no nothing just a WOOOOO!

As for Heister and Ehlo........not really my cup ot tea.. There is a ton of awkwardness in and around them.

ZagMania
11-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Gannon and Bardo will be doing the Big 12 this year. I really liked Bardo, he seemed to know a ton and like the Zags.

Link (http://espnmediazone.com/press_releases/2008_11_nov/20081111_BobKnightAddsWeeklyThursdayGameCollegeGam eDayandMoretoESPNRole.htm)

CDC84
11-12-2008, 09:05 AM
I feel it is really important for ESPN to keep certain broadcasting teams assigned to specific conferences and not change things up every year or two unless a broadcaster leaves the network. Especially once they get a good working team going like Gannon and Bardo. Branch knows close to nothing about the WCC and its teams. He's going to be doing on the job training. One of the reasons why I love the Big 12 tandem of Ron Franklin and Fran Fraschilla is because they have worked that league to the point where they are really, really familar with the teams and coaches. It appears as if ESPN will retain that duo for most of its Big 12 coverage (like Big Monday). Gannon/Bardo will probably get second tier Big 12 games.

When I saw Branch say on ESPNU last night that he didn't have Tyler Hansborough on his first team All America team, I nearly dropped my dinner plate.

sanfranzagsguy20
11-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Although I was a fan of Bardo, Terry Gannon just doesn't have a whole lot of energy in his broadcasts. He is rather boring to listen to imo, evidenced even more by some of his football broadcasts I have tuned into this season. I realize that play by play broadcasters don't necessarily have to be interesting to listen to the way that color commentators have to be, but I do look for a certain amount of energy within a play-by-play guy because it makes the game more exciting for me.

I don't really know a whole lot about Branch but like CDC said he did have some "interesting" choices for preseason awards, etc. He was awful high on the Zags though, so that could be intriguing.....He said that they were this year's Davidson, which doesn't really make sense to me but at least he seems to like them...If I am thinking of the right guy, Wischusen brings some energy to his broadcasts so I will be interested to see what he brings to the table over the course of an entire season of listening to him...

All in all, I'll miss Bardo but I can live without Gannon...so I don't mind the change