PDA

View Full Version : Old Times Relived Arizona Beats Gonzaga

AzBasketballFan
11-10-2008, 09:13 AM
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/14/1347686/Arizona-Basketball-Mark-Few..jpg

Reliving A Great Moment In Time, Arizona Beats Gonzaga 96-95

The pain of this day is very much engraved in the loyal fans of Gonzaga, knowing Gonzaga fell to Arizona in 2003, but in truth the real pain will be felt and the end of the 2008/2009 season when Mark Few takes over Arizona. Gonzaga fans, “enjoy this season as it will be the last season that Gonzaga will be ranked while having Mark Few as coach of Gonzaga”…

Mark Few publicly stated that the only job of interest would be Arizona when he decided to leave Gonzaga. He turned down UCLA and others a few years ago knowing Lute would be leaving…

By BOB BAUM
AP Sports Writer

SALT LAKE CITY - Humbled and relieved, Arizona advanced to the round of 16 with an appreciation of just how fortunate it is to still be in the NCAA tournament.

Now the Wildcats get a chance to catch their breath.
When players on both teams collapsed to the court Saturday night in exultation or despair after two thrilling overtimes, top-seeded Arizona had beaten ninth-seeded Gonzaga 96-95 in a game that ranks with the greatest March Madness has produced.

"I think this was one of the best games of all time," Wildcats point guard Jason Gardner said. "I wasn't ready for my career to end."
It wasn't hyperbole. Saturday's game featured great plays, big shots, missed opportunities, mistakes and near-miracles. If hanging on in a close one is a required course for an NCAA champion, Arizona made the grade.
When it was over, Luke Walton applauded the Bulldogs.

"They could have won that game as easily as we could have," he said. "They played as hard as we did. They played as tough as we did."
The victory wasn't secure until Walton grabbed the rebound of Blake Stepp's 8-foot bank shot, and the horn sounded.

"When I saw him do that up-fake to go into that leaner, my heart just stopped for a second," Walton said. "When that ball came off, my heart started beating again."

The Wildcats (27-3) went back to Tucson for a little rest and preparation for their next opponent, fifth-seeded Notre Dame (24-9). The teams play Thursday in Anaheim, Calif.

Arizona's Rick Anderson had 17 points and 11 rebounds in what he called "the best game I've ever played in - in my life," and he listed the ways the contest will help his team.

"Determination, heart, leadership - a lot of things came together," Anderson said.

Much has been made of Arizona's depth, but this victory was almost entirely achieved by the starting five. Gardner scored 22. Channing Frye had 22 points and 12 rebounds, and played the final two minutes of regulation and both overtimes with four fouls.

Walton shrugged off a stomach virus for 16 points and nine assists. He had Arizona's biggest basket of the night, a power move in the lane for a short, double-pump jumper to tie the game with 4.7 seconds left in the first overtime.

Salim Stoudamire was off the mark most of the night but scored five points in the second extra period, including the 5-foot floater for the game's final points with two minutes to play. He almost turned into the goat when he lost the ball out of bounds to give Gonzaga its final chance.

Gardner played 47 minutes, Walton 45, Frye 43, Stoudamire 42 and Anderson 40.

The longest night was put in by Gonzaga's Tony Skinner, who played all 50 minutes, scoring a career-high 25 points, but missed an open 3-pointer with four seconds to play in the second overtime. Stepp, who also scored 25, got the rebound for the putback, but it went off the front of the rim.
Arizona coach Lute Olson heaped praise on Gonzaga.

"They're as good as any 1-2 seed around," he said. "They have huge hearts. Down the stretch, when it seemed we would get off on them a little bit, all of a sudden - big shots, big follows."

Gonzaga coach Mark Few, who has been mentioned as a possible candidate for the UCLA opening, said he'd never been more proud of a team. It was another memorable NCAA tournament moment from the little Spokane, Wash., school that made it to the regional finals in 1999, and the regional semis the following two years.

"Both teams played well enough to advance," Few said. "It's too bad that can't happen."

RenoZag
11-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Q: What do Lute Olson and Tombstone have in common ?

A: They're both relics of a time gone by

sharpzag
11-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Could all of the interest from Arizona push GU to another level? I personally hope all of the Few to AZ interest continues, because it is only going to help Few say to recruits "I could have gone to Arizona, but I decided to stay at GU." Few could simultaneously increase his recruiting power at GU while knocking down one of the best programs on the west coast.

Now, Few could end up jumping ship to AZ... but if he really wants to stay at GU and become the coach K of Gonzaga, rejecting the AZ job would be a great move by him.

IrishZagFan
11-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Q: Why doesn't Tucson have cockroaches?

A: Because even a cockroach has an ounce of self-respect.

Rubbadub
11-10-2008, 09:44 AM
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x303/cm07photos/Few.jpg

Sounds like quite a fantasy world you've constructed for yourself...

MDABE80
11-10-2008, 09:51 AM
I don't think Mark Few would be recruiting the kids he has coming in if he was planing to leave. I see him staying at GU. He says it all the time.

former1dog
11-10-2008, 10:00 AM
I vote to end trollism during the season.

A serious discussion of Mark Few's job prospects is one thing, but the OP is just here to stir things up.

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Hey AzBasketballFan. Good luck in the NIT (if you make it). I'll be sure to mail you a postcard from the Final Four.

guniverse
11-10-2008, 10:37 AM
after seeing what has happened at zona lately, i have decided to transfer there. i almost went to wsu when they had the open tryout for quarterback, but my chances were slim. there must be at least five spots open down there. i have always wanted to play d 1 college ball since being cut from my jv team junior year of high school. finally i have a shot to live out my dream to play in the pack ten. wsu footbal = arizona basketball? i sure hope there are similar outcomes to their seasons.

Once and Future Zag
11-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Clearly, Lute was the only thing going for AZ if all the recruits want out ASAP if he's not there.

bullzag23
11-10-2008, 11:28 AM
after seeing what has happened at zona lately, i have decided to transfer there. i almost went to wsu when they had the open tryout for quarterback, but my chances were slim. there must be at least five spots open down there. i have always wanted to play d 1 college ball since being cut from my jv team junior year of high school. finally i have a shot to live out my dream to play in the pack ten. wsu footbal = arizona basketball? i sure hope there are similar outcomes to their seasons.

Well you'll have some competition, I'd like to try out for PF/C, all 5'9" of me :D

AzBasketballFan
11-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Well to be honest with any of you, does this schedule warrant being rank such as Gonzaga is rank this year? Who are ALL these cupcake teams? This is a JOKE...

I can see why Coach Few will leave for Arizona... I can not wait until December when Arizona STUMPS Gonzaga BUTTS...

When you schedule teams as I see sure your going to pad the win column but it does not do the team any good when it comes to the tournament. How embarrassing to play a schedule of these really small time schools, Oh I fogot Gonzaga is one of these small time schools... LOL

NEC26
11-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Uhhh, thats the womens schedule.

By the way the Arizona game will be one of our easiest games of the year.

What happened to the women's schedule? Feeling a little foolish?

Nevtelen
11-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Well to be honest with any of you, does this schedule warrant being rank such as Gonzaga is rank this year? Who are ALL these cupcake teams? This is a JOKE...

It is unfortunate that we couldn't find anyone better to schedule instead of a Lute-less Zona, but you can't get a powerhouse every game. Every team needs some rest and an easy victory once and a while, though. Sorry it will have to be at your expense.

ZagNative
11-10-2008, 05:32 PM
So, ZN is the only person here dimwitted enough to have actually enjoyed that post? Great story, well-presented thread, and, I thought, pretty good-natured ribbing? ZN is so pathetically out of touch, she actually tried to give the OP some rep! No can do!

Man, are we ever thin-skinned around here.

UberZagFan
11-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Uber thinks that if Few did leave for Arizona it would make a good fit--rolling right into a program that will play anyone anywhere and one that is use to bowing out too early for its seed in the March tourney.*

*Uber is still feeling the effects of reviewing the last 9 years GU's schedule and record this morning.

JohnOGU
11-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Who is this kid? You do realize that after this year your team would probably be somewhere at the bottom of the WCC. Wishful thinking.

WccSoph
11-11-2008, 12:44 AM
Give it a rest,at least you could have an original idea.Go back to the Pac-Ten boards and watch ASU sweep the series with you. At least you won't have to worry about Buddinger coming back for his fourth year as he gets progresively worse each year.

Sorry Zag fans about my first Post being so negative,but sometimes even a WCC opponent of yours can only take his posting so much to cloud the best season of the year-COLLEGE BASKETBALL!!!

Rubbadub
11-11-2008, 05:44 AM
So, ZN is the only person here dimwitted enough to have actually enjoyed that post? Great story, well-presented thread, and, I thought, pretty good-natured ribbing? ZN is so pathetically out of touch, she actually tried to give the OP some rep! No can do!

Man, are we ever thin-skinned around here.

Ribbing is fine. Any talk of stealing Fewie away is not. :D

GUZagDenver
11-11-2008, 06:17 AM
[QUOTE=AzBasketballFan;286489]I can not wait until December when Arizona STUMPS Gonzaga BUTTS...

I don't know about you guys, but I have never had my BUTT STUMPED. I am really not sure what that is, but from seeing this guy's posts, I am not sure I want to know what it is.........

jazzdelmar
11-11-2008, 07:20 AM
the best next coach for U of A is not far away.....Stevie Kerr. At some pt, he will either tire of his Suns job or be bounced, and as an alum (whose dad was a college president), a completely classy, articulate guy, he's perfect. he lives in san diego now (commutes to Phx), and that wdnt fly. but i cant think of a better choice.

WccSoph
11-11-2008, 09:10 AM
Ditto on Steve Kerr,maybe Sean Elliot too, both of whom were the classiest college and pro players to play the game.Don't mean to beat a dead horse but why would Few leave one of the most unique mid-major jobs for Arizona?--money--that doesn't seem to be what his life is about. From what you guys post he seems to be a family man who enjoys the Northwest and wants to raise his family there,and enjoys his current coaching position.
I'll drop it now I promise, but I have to tell a good joke now. Arizona's current temporary coach was their play by play anouncer last year.:roll: