PDA

View Full Version : A Prediction and a Guess

BobZag
11-09-2008, 06:21 PM
I could add some caveats like "If nobody gets injured" or "Barring injuries to key players" but I feel good and confident about the following:

Prediction: This edition of the Zags will equal or exceed the regular seasons of 2001-02, 2003-04 and 2005-06 in both the win-loss column and the number of "big" wins. And these Zags will equal or exceed 1999 in the NCAA Tournament.

My guess? And trust me, it is 100% speculation.

Guy-Marc Michel
Kelly Olynyk

These two are our mystery duo for 2009, to join Mangisto and Sam.

* I reserve the right to be wrong. :)

ZagAddict
11-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Few & Co. will have definitely searched high and low to find Arop, Michel, and Olynyk... and Bol Kong could become part of this class too. Definitely a Canadian flavor... Minnesota (Dower's home state) is close too ;) With these types of recruiting in-roads, maybe GU should start playing D-1 hockey :)

BobZag
11-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Kong will be a Zag. Lots of sudden optimism and confidence in the GU camp. Something is up. It's as if info has been released and it's good.

gamagin
11-09-2008, 06:42 PM
has been perfect. except when it wasn't.

So I'm with you 100 %. Except when I'm not.

And you can take this to the bank. Along with your deposit.

ZagAddict
11-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Kong will be a Zag. Lots of sudden optimism and confidence in the GU camp. Something is up. It's as if info has been released and it's good.

This thread keeps uncovering more information. Maybe it was my signature on the visa petition ;)

pbriz
11-09-2008, 06:52 PM

Oh wow. If this is true something special is brewing for the future. Bol Kong is just insane. Think Tyler Smith or Raymar Morgan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf0CdfUa-qA

Goodson, Arop, Kong, Poling, Sacre would be a very talented line-up in a few years.

zag67
11-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks Zagaddict. If it had not been for you we would have been doomed next year. I Hope BZ is right, because that would make this a fantastic class.

LynetteG
11-09-2008, 06:58 PM
wow! great court vision! me likey!

BobZag
11-09-2008, 07:00 PM
100% speculation, remember, except for the Kong stuff. :)

MickMick
11-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Olynyk? I have not heard a lot of discussion about him here. I have heard a lot about him on another board.

Olynyk? A 6'9" guard? Really?

Very intriguing prospect (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=262910).

Rangerzag
11-09-2008, 07:36 PM
100% speculation, remember, except for the Kong stuff. :)

Bob, I feel more comfortable when you are sayin' we are doomed ;)

OZZag
11-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Olynyk? I have not heard a lot of discussion about him here. I have heard a lot about him on another board.

Olynyk? A 6'9" guard? Really?

Very intriguing prospect (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=262910).

Kelly has grown 4" or so in the last year, previously he played SG for his High school team and also played that position for the BC U17 side. Kelly is a very nice shooter who has risen to be ranked #5 in Canada for the 2009 class. He is pegged as a 3 because of his size and the fact that he is not quite quick enough to handle some of the faster guards. I am told that Kelly is actually closer to 6'10" and may end up taller. He is a good passer and just needs some more top level competition to round himself out. He is attending NEDA until Christmas and is training with Manny twice a day. If it allworks our for him he will makde the Canadian team that will play the world Junior (U19) championships next summer in NewZealand. Manny should also make that team (read will unless injured).

MBZags
11-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Couldn't Kong be a part of the 2009 class if his petition is approved in December, or will we have to wait until 2010?

MDABE80
11-09-2008, 11:12 PM
KONG.......shhhhhhh....... soon.......shhhhhh.........KONG will scare people......soon.......

JLGutrocks
11-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Seems like he (http://www.umhoops.com/2008/08/03/recruiting-notes-whos-next/) would be a nice get.

Kelly Olynyk (SF/PF 2009). Beilein appears to be looking north of the border at Kelly Olynyk from Kamloop, BC. Olynyk is a forward who is “one year from graduating” (I believe this would put him in the class of 09 but I know there have been some odd issues in Canadian high school eligibility) and missed most of his junior year with a broken arm from playing football. According to the Kamloop News, Olynyk recently got a call from John Beilein’s staff:

Earlier this week, the University of Michigan Wolverines gave him a call. It came on the heels of talks with the San Diego Toreros and the Gonzaga Bulldogs, as well as a few other programs.

Olynyk sounds like a guard who has grown into a forward and college coaches want him on the wing instead of in the backcourt. This reminds me a little bit of a guy like Robin Benzing who had more of a guard skill set in a bigger body. It has been pretty well established that Beilein values ball skills before anything else even in his forwards.

“It’s been tiring, but it’s fun,” Olynyk said. “It’s a good experience, with the travel and the games against international competition.”

In the past, Olynyk has played mostly guard for the Titans. Considering he’s still growing, his NCAA suitors are hoping to move him up to forward. “They want me to play more of a wing position,” Olynyk said. “This season, I want to play more wing. But we’ll see what we have to do to get the job done.”

USBasket lists his height at 6′8 but the Kamloop article mentions that he is “approaching 6′10″. I would leave Olynyk on the watch list until we hear more but he is worth mentioning.

CDC84
11-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Between 1-3pm (PT) on Friday, 11/14, ESPNU will feature a 2 hour college basketball signing day special. Not sure if any of the future Zags will be talked about, but you never know....2 hours is a long time to discuss recruiting.

GUZagDenver
11-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Bol Kong to GU would be great news!

UberZagFan
11-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Future. Future. Future.

Any discussion about Bob's prediction for this year's team? Uber's not sure that the total win column could be greater than those years (27/28 total wins going into the NCAAs)--mainly because conference games will be tougher as well as the "opening" Old Spice tourney which doesn't appear to have any easy games aside from Siena and the only way GU sees them is if GU loses. If GU does get to 27/28 wins pre-NCAA it will be because it plays more games this year than those other years (32 total assuming only two WCC games). Stated another way, GU loses more than 2/3 games before NCAAs.

As for more big wins, here's hoping to GU breaking the BIS losing streak.

As always, Uber has GU going past the 1999 team in the NCAA--so he's with ya there.

cggonzaga
11-10-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm with BZ here. I don't see us losing more than 4 games and wouldn't be at all surprised if we only lost 1 or 2. This team is just dynamite and has great depth. A 1 or 2 seed in the tournament is more than possible and I see us cruising to the FF.

maineblackbear
11-10-2008, 01:10 PM
i don't even know what to say-- this is clearly the best personnel the Zags have ever had (from 1-12)-- but the best team? A final four of GU 99 v. GU Morrison/Batista and GU Dickau versus GU 08-09-- Okay-- the latter game is easy to predict-- this year's team is far better than the team that flamed out early. that sets up the final with GU 99. I think they are deeper than the somewhat personally dysfunctional Morrison led Batista, Raivio guys....

In the final of GU 99 versus GU 09? Right now, I would say that GU 99 would win a one game event since they were a cohesive squad and played as a team team team through the last month and half of their season. Now a best of seven series between the two, complete with the predictable fatigue issues? I gotta go with GU 09-- just so much so much deeper and with talent that even Frahm and Santangelo and Hall could match in stretches-- but not over seven games. And by April, it will be pretty clear, i think, that this year's team would beat GU 99 in a one and done-- but you could never count our Elite Eight guys out of any game.

Anyway-- BZ is right on-- this year I predict a National Championship. You know why? Because while there are a variety of teams that could give us a run and sure we might lose (whoever we lose to--it will be amazingly disappointing) but I just have a feeling--and this year is the year- "this is the year there is no other year" (to paraphrase Frank Galvin from the Verdict--oh, my God, I am quoting Paul Newman lines again !!!)

And in two years, given the incoming, we will get to do it all again...

so- prediction-- three losses, one in conference. thats all. And even that I am weirdly thinking might be an overlay.

mbb

23dpg
11-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Future. Future. Future.

Any discussion about Bob's prediction for this year's team? Uber's not sure that the total win column could be greater than those years (27/28 total wins going into the NCAAs)--mainly because conference games will be tougher as well as the "opening" Old Spice tourney which doesn't appear to have any easy games aside from Sienna and the only way GU sees them is if GU loses. If GU does get to 27/28 wins pre-NCAA it will be because it plays more games this year than those other years (32 total assuming only two WCC games). Stated another way, GU loses more than 2/3 games before NCAAs.

As for more big wins, here's hoping to GU breaking the BIS losing streak.

As always, Uber has GU going past the 1999 team in the NCAA--so he's with ya there.

Siena is a good team. CBS has them as a #10 seed. Any team looking past them will get beat.

10: Alabama, Clemson, UAB, Siena

Nevtelen
11-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Siena is a good team. CBS has them as a #10 seed. Any team looking past them will get beat.

Siena took Vandy out behind the woodshed in the first round last year and pretty much returns everybody from that squad. They're a tougher game than OSU IMO.

I do see your point, though. I'm not sure there is as much difficulty in this year's sched as in years past (though it'll still be tough). Indiana will be pretty weak, Wazzu is down, Zona won't be the game it could have been, etc. Yes, there are tough games (the Old Spice, UConn, Tenn, Memphis), but I think the Zags will win at least 50% of them and not drop more than 1 game in conference. That leaves, say, 4 losses. Depending on how far the team goes in March, that could be a lot of wins. I'm predicting an Elite Eight, but I really really hope this is the year the program gets the monkey of it's back and goes to the FF. I guess we'll see - lots of time (and games) until then.

zagsdan86
11-10-2008, 01:17 PM

Siena returns everyone who played a significant role from last year's team that made the Sweet Sixteen.

ZagsGoZags
11-10-2008, 01:33 PM
This thread has lifted my hopes higher than before. But my soaring hope for the last two years has produced a lot of pain, too. I mean some top teams get two or three recruits from the top 75 this year. By the Dance many of those teams will be dripping with talent, D1 experience, then their Frosh go right into the NBA.

I have to prepare myself for 3-6 losses, perhaps on off-nights like all teams have, and still be thrilled with that. My guts just won't let me soar as high as some of you are soaring.

But nothing could make me happier than to have you proven right, even though I cannot allow myself to believe.

JohnOGU
11-10-2008, 02:48 PM
I also am predicting a final four or National Title. Ive been a believer since the beginning. As ive said, there is something special about this team. We have a lot of experienced guys that i feel are taking things much more serious than in the past. They know what they need to do, and they're doing it.

BobZag
11-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Bol Kong to GU would be great news!

;)

btw, I totaly whiffed on both of my guesses.

UberZagFan
11-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Ok, Siena is a tough game as well. Here's the point which Uber apparently did not state well the first time and probably no better this time: GU has a lot of "tougher" games this year that won't be marquee wins. The conference is tougher than in 01-02 or 03-04 (or should be) and there are some out of conference games that are tough. So Uber sees a few more losses than 1 or 2--more like 5-6 losses pre-NCAA.

And very few games are against opponents that would be big wins--UConn, UT and Memphis. And UT is "reshuffling" (Uber thinks that's how Katz put it) so reaffirming the toughness of Sienna, if UT falters there they may slip a bit before GU plays them and not even be ranked (they play Marquette and Kansas before seeing GU). Good thing is GU has 2 of those three home-neutral. But still 3 games against the top-25 not too hot. Hopefully, St. Mary's will be top-25 and maybe WSU by the time we play them.

p.s. in case you're wondering, Uber's 2008-09 Zag-colored glasses have not arrived in the mail yet.

BobZag
11-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Siena.

Just sayin'.

MississppiZag
11-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Bob, whiffing? Say it isn't so. 99 out of 100 isn't that bad.;)

Are you saying you are correct about Bol Kong, and incorrect about Olynyk and Michel? Also will Kong be able to play next yr?

Vizagra
11-10-2008, 03:55 PM
;)

btw, I totaly whiffed on both of my guesses.

So Olynyk and Guy-Marc Michael aren't the two mystery recruits huh...use one of your lifelines and phone a friend Bob!

MississppiZag
11-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Is there any actual mystery recruits? If so my guess would be Kingma or Montreal. Michel and Oylnyk would have been great. I can see both being Zags come November 2010. The Kong news is wonderful though.

CDC84
11-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Guy-Marc is 2010. The speculation that he could be 2009 due to various factors appears to be incorrect.

Kingma is 2011.

MississppiZag
11-10-2008, 04:11 PM
I know all of which you stated. I just felt like Kingma would verbal. If the mystery recruits are 2009 then i know i am wrong.

BobZag
11-10-2008, 04:25 PM
"Ich bin ein Berliner!"

Achtung, baby.

pbriz
11-10-2008, 04:35 PM
uhhh Bob now the wild goose chase begins....

apparently a German recruit?

How about Robin Benzig, who did not qualify in July for Michigan. A 6'10" face up post player?

Rangerzag
11-10-2008, 04:36 PM
"Ich bin ein Berliner!"

Achtung, baby.

I love it when Bob is toying with the board. Not likely to foretell sour news :D

hockeyzag
11-10-2008, 04:40 PM
I am a Berlin?
Regards, baby

This should be interesting

MississppiZag
11-10-2008, 04:42 PM
I love it Bob:) Especially when it deals with recruits.

But honestly, you got to supply more than that.

FuManShoes
11-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Seriously, Jeremy "Prego" has nothing on these guys.

JohnOGU
11-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Bol here in May

jimmycarter
11-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Bob, correct me if I'm off here....but doens' t that mean " I am a doughnut". Given the recent interest in Canadian recruiting, may be we finally signed Tim Horton?

Nevtelen
11-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Bol here in May

I really hope that ends up being the case! Soooo pumped... Now I just need to find out who the other signee is. Hmmm... Well, "Ich bin ein Berliner"... "Achtung, baby"

Is he related to JFK? A Kennedy, perhaps? Achtung, baby - an album by U2, a band from Dublin. Clearly we're getting an Irishman on the team!

JohnOGU
11-11-2008, 03:16 AM
Heard it from the man, himself. he'll be here.

MississppiZag
11-11-2008, 04:12 AM
^^^^^John will he be able to play in 2009? If so what year will he be? Jr.?

Great news.

Nevtelen
11-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Heard it from the man, himself. he'll be here.

I do beleive I'm going to post some more Kong footage, if that's the case! He played for Douglas College last season and I believe he's #22 in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qplO_lkzC20)of their championship win - there isn't a ton of footage of him, but it does show him in actual game situations.

BobZag
11-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Bob, correct me if I'm off here....but doens' t that mean " I am a doughnut". Given the recent interest in Canadian recruiting, may be we finally signed Tim Horton?

This cracked me up. Post of the day, for sure! :lmao:

Listen to JohnOGU. He speaketh the truth.

eins, zwei, drei, vier...

GamblingZag
11-11-2008, 10:45 AM
eins, zwei, drei, vier= one, two, three, four

MickMick
11-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Any Germans playing for CSI? Does Detlef Schrempf have any offspring of age?

Anyone got some German links?

JLGutrocks
11-11-2008, 11:21 AM
So if Bol comes in May, and we have highlights of him last year at Douglass College, does he play this year at Douglass and what is his eligibility status?

2yrs + sit out a transfer year, 3 yrs and play immediately?

Inquiring minds wanna know.

BobZag
11-11-2008, 11:27 AM
So if Bol comes in May, and we have highlights of him last year at Douglass College, does he play this year at Douglass and what is his eligibility status?

2yrs + sit out a transfer year, 3 yrs and play immediately?

Inquiring minds wanna know.

I'd guess the latter. He's not playing this year.

kitzbuel
11-11-2008, 11:38 AM
"Ich bin ein Berliner!"

Achtung, baby.
http://img321.imageshack.us/img321/1749/berliner28mt.jpg

roxdoc
11-11-2008, 11:41 AM
No cupcakes!!!

GUZagDenver
11-11-2008, 11:44 AM
So this is confirmed? Bol Kong will officially be a Zag??

JohnOGU
11-11-2008, 02:20 PM
i havent heard from anyone from GU, but Kong says hes he'll be in a gu jersey come may.

Gonezagaga
11-11-2008, 07:47 PM
[QUOTE=Kong says hes he'll be in a gu jersey come may.[/QUOTE]

So he plays baseball too?:D