PDA

View Full Version : Love the NY Times...

Thomas_Sutpen
03-12-2007, 01:30 PM
"* NO. 7 INDIANA VS. NO. 10 GONZAGA Gonzaga, which has come together since the suspension of Josh Heytvelt, will win." [asterisk indicates "upset chance"]

:link: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/11/sports/ncaabasketball/11breakdown.html?pagewanted=all#west

No East Coast bias there............

gamagin
03-12-2007, 01:38 PM
I thin we play better as underdogs. as long as the opening line is "without JH" you know they haven't seen them play. they have played better as a team.

the Zags have beaten the spread many, many times this year as well, even when they didn't win, like against memphis (which was really, literally and figuratively, a tossup).

So you can root for the Zags and make money, too, on this one, in all liklihood.

win-win

VaBeachZAG
03-12-2007, 05:54 PM
I think the NY Times has historically had a lot of love for the Zags. I remember the day after the Zags upset tournament win over UVA, I checked the local news paper (Virginian Pilot) only to find a small article together with a small picture of DD putting up the blocked shot that Casey recovered and dropped in for the win. Out of curiosity, I checked the NY Times, which had the same DD picture, except, the picture easily covered 1/3 of a page with a "Gonzaga Wins" header in huge print.

beatProgram
03-12-2007, 06:15 PM
There are A LOT of GU fans/alum in NYC for some reason.

Going to the GU vs. Duke game and the alumni social prior to the game shocked me as to how many folks love Gonzaga over there.

My born and Bred New Yorker Uncle (also the AD of a few D1 programs over the years) always tells me, "New York is a very sophisticated basketball town."

If you love college basketball, not just a team, or a rivalry, but really the game itself... it's hard not to like GU over the past decade.

jazzdelmar
03-12-2007, 06:28 PM
NYC is filled w alums of great Catholic schools (disclosure, me a Manhattan grad) whose teams have fallen on hard times (Manhattan, St Johns, LaSalle, Fordumb, Iona, St Francis, Bonnies, et al) and who have taken to the Zags as if to channel their old loves.....I too was at the Dook game, and while there were 14,000 preppy, snot noses with cashmere overcoats and Burberry scarves for Duk, there were 1,000s of old C-school (GU alums as well) in apparel more suited for a night at the Garden (or a smokey, beer infested, rat trap CYO gym)....Go Zags, for all of us......

roxdoc
03-12-2007, 08:23 PM
The publisher of the NY Times is married to a Spokane lady.