Lady Zags 94
Concordia (OR) 32

Aussie 1
11-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Aussie Aussie Aussie Oui Oui Oui.

Go Kelly, You little ripper

BobZag
11-08-2008, 04:49 PM
It was even worse than the score indicated. Slaughter comes to mind. Kelly Bowen is a real nice addition, she's just good! Standish and Bowen are two frosh who will contribute immediately. Graves stole a dandy in Bowen.

Concordia was either real bad or the Zags were really clicking today. Hard to tell sometimes. Perhaps a combination of the two.

A decent crowd of about 1500, I'd say.

It was nice to meet OldSport. I'd seen him for years but didn't know it was him. :)

Freshman Kelly Bowen led six Gonzaga University women’s basketball players in double-figures with a game-high 17 points to help lead the Bulldogs to an easy 94-32 victory over Concordia University in an exhibition game Saturday afternoon at the McCarthey Athletic Center. The Zags held the Cavaliers to fewer than 20 points in each half en route to the 62-point victory.

“We had a good strong effort on both ends of the floor today,” stated head coach Kelly Graves. “We had solid balance from all our players. Eleven players finished with double-figure minutes and they all shot well. It was a real improvement from our last time out.”

The game was never in doubt for the Bulldogs as they built a double-digit lead only three minutes into the contest. Gonzaga, who held the 51-14 halftime advantage, forced Concordia to turn the ball over 24 times in the opening half, 10 more turnovers than the Cavaliers had points. The Bulldogs, making 16 steals, including five by junior Vivian Frieson, scored 28 points off CU’s miscues.

“Our defense set the tone today, forcing 30-plus turnovers and scoring 42 points off those turnovers. Everybody covered the floor extremely well for us,” said Graves.

Both Frieson and sophomore guard Courtney Vandersloot scored 10 points to lead Gonzaga in the first half. Australian Bowen was also productive for the Zags scoring eight points, grabbing five rebounds and making two steals in 10 minutes of action.

“Kelly has really progressed in the past couple weeks,” said Graves. “The American game is very different to what she is used to playing but really put together another solid outing for us.”

Gonzaga was on fire from the floor in the first half, hitting 52.6 percent (20-38) of its shots, including 66.7 percent (4-6) from behind the three-point arc.

The Bulldogs were able to let some of the younger players see more minutes in the second half as three freshmen and two sophomores played 10 or more minutes in the final half. Freshman Kayla Standish scored six points, had three rebounds, blocked one shot and made two steals in 10 minutes of action, while sophomore Claire Raap, also playing 10 minutes, scored six points, brought down two boards and had one steal for GU in the second half.

For the game, Gonzaga shot 49.3 percent from the field, hitting 37-for-75. The Zags outrebounded the Cavaliers 50-32, including 23-13 on the offensive end. The Bulldogs also had 22 steals, 15 assists, and five blocks. Gonzaga outscored the Cavalier bench 41-10.

Beside Bowen, Gonzaga was led by Frieson and Standish who finished with 16 and 13 points, respectively.

No Concordia player finished with double-figure points. Danielle Clauson and Angela Gimeno each scored a team-high seven points for the Cavaliers.

Gonzaga begins regular season action this Friday when it welcomes Eastern Oregon University to the McCarthey Athletic Center. Game time is set for 6 p.m.

CONCORDIA CAVALIERS vs GONZAGA BULLDOGS

11/08/08 2:00 p.m. at McCARTHEY ATHLETIC CENTER - SPOKANE, WA

At McCARTHEY ATHLETIC CENTER - SPOKANE, WA

GONZAGA BULLDOGS 94, CONCORDIA CAVALIERS 32

CONCORDIA CAVALIERS

CLAUSON, Danielle 1-4 5-6 7; GIMENO, Angela 3-9 1-2 7; SNODDERLY, Ann 2-3

0-0 4; BRISTOW, Rachel 1-2 2-3 4; GIMENO, Rebecca 2-9 0-0 4; SCARPELLI,

Rachel 1-4 0-0 3; EISCHEN, Sarah 1-7 0-0 2; RAZAVI, Maryam 0-4 1-2 1; CRAFT,

Kourtney 0-2 0-1 0; BORGMEIER, Kenna 0-0 0-0 0; POWERS, Kippy 0-2 0-0 0;

ROTH, Haley 0-0 0-0 0; STEINMETZ, Madison 0-2 0-0 0. Totals 11-48 9-14 32.

GONZAGA BULLDOGS

BOWEN, Kelly 6-11 4-5 17; FRIESON, Vivian 7-12 2-2 16; STANDISH, Kayla 6-9

1-4 13; BEKKERING, Janelle 5-8 0-0 11; VANDERSLOOT,Courtney 3-7 3-4 10;

RAAP, Claire 5-9 0-0 10; SCHICK, Carter 2-2 0-0 6; LORENZO, Tatriana 2-5 1-2

5; SCHAEFER, Jami 1-4 0-0 3; READER, Shannon 0-2 2-2 2; BROWN, Amanda 0-3

1-2 1; TECLEMARIAM, Ariam 0-3 0-0 0. Totals 37-75 14-21 94.

CONCORDIA CAVALIERS........... 14 18 - 32

GONZAGA BULLDOGS.............. 51 43 - 94

3-point goals--CONCORDIA CAVALIERS 1-12 (SCARPELLI, Rachel 1-4; GIMENO,

Angela 0-3; GIMENO, Rebecca 0-3; RAZAVI, Maryam 0-1; POWERS, Kippy 0-1),

GONZAGA BULLDOGS 6-13 (SCHICK, Carter 2-2; BEKKERING, Janelle 1-2;

VANDERSLOOT,Courtney 1-2; BOWEN, Kelly 1-3; SCHAEFER, Jami 1-2; BROWN,

Amanda 0-1; STANDISH, Kayla 0-1). Fouled out--CONCORDIA CAVALIERS-None,

GONZAGA BULLDOGS-None. Rebounds--CONCORDIA CAVALIERS 32 (CLAUSON, Danielle

5), GONZAGA BULLDOGS 50 (BOWEN, Kelly 9). Assists--CONCORDIA CAVALIERS 5

(CRAFT, Kourtney 1; GIMENO, Rebecca 1; SCARPELLI, Rachel 1; GIMENO, Angela

1; CLAUSON, Danielle 1), GONZAGA BULLDOGS 15 (LORENZO, Tatriana 4; FRIESON,

Vivian 4). Total fouls--CONCORDIA CAVALIERS 19, GONZAGA BULLDOGS 16.

Technical fouls--CONCORDIA CAVALIERS-None, GONZAGA BULLDOGS-None.

Zagineer
11-08-2008, 06:03 PM
"The American game is very different to what she is used to playing but really put together another solid outing for us."

Not knowing anything about the Aussie game and how it differs from the American game, I wish Coach Graves would have gone into a little more detail. All I'm left with is it must be the opposite of the American game, but I'm sure its more intricate than that.

Any insights out there? I thank you in advance. :)

P.S. Can hardly wait to see them at Hec Ed on 11/16. :clap:

Oldsport
11-08-2008, 08:21 PM
I have never been "down-under" but from what I've been told the Aussie's run on their hands and shoot with their feet. It has something to do with being upside-down I guess....on the earth you understand. Anyway, however Kelly Bowen learned to play basketball she taught us all something today. :) That young Zag can play some basketball! :)

Now, Concordia is from Portland, OR. Their team went to the WNIT just like we did. This year we are even better than last year but Concordia must have lost a couple of senior starters, a rebuilding year? :confused:

Play of the Game? When Coach Graves sent #1 Carter Schick out on the floor and she dropped two 3-pointers so fast it was almost unbelievable. The crowd went wild! The bench lost control! The coaching staff was stunned! Little Carter Schick acted like, "Isn't that what I'm supposed to do?" This is going to be a fun year! :)