PDA

View Full Version : Upset Palooza

TuckC
03-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Every year there are upsets, 5's being sent a sunder by 12's, heck George Mason going by Connecticut and the ret. I am wondering who your guys' first round upsets are, Here are mine.

Old Dominion def. Butler
VCU def. Duke
Stanford def. Louisville
Winthrop def. Notre Dame
Georgia Tech def. UNLV
and of course....
Gonzaga def. Indiana

beatProgram
03-12-2007, 02:33 PM
My victorious upset picks are:

Old Dominion
Georgia Tech
Villanova
Gonzaga
George Washington

I'm still on the fence about:

Winthrop
VCU
Wright State
New Mexico State
Oral Roberts
Long Beach State

I'll eat a huge bucket of meekrob if Stanford beats Louisville.

gozagswoohoo
03-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Ya, I don't see Stanford beating Louisville either. They're only playing 45 minutes from the Louiville campus, so they've basically got a home game for the first 2 rounds...

lothar98zag
03-12-2007, 02:47 PM
IMHO, there are no upsets in the 8-9 or the 7-10 games.

#11 thru # 16 winning in the first round = upset

Madcowz
03-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Every year there are upsets, 5's being sent a sunder by 12's, heck George Mason going by Connecticut and the ret. I am wondering who your guys' first round upsets are, Here are mine.

Old Dominion def. Butler
VCU def. Duke
Stanford def. Louisville
Winthrop def. Notre Dame
Georgia Tech def. UNLV
and of course....
Gonzaga def. Indiana

i have all those minus the vcu def. duke although its possible... old dominion my sleeper sweet 16 pick... also i decided to go out on a limb and choose albany defeating virginia, if you remember last year as a 16 seed they nearly knocked off uconn in the first round and it was an awesome game until there shots just stopped falling!

beatProgram
03-12-2007, 03:02 PM
IMHO, there are no upsets in the 8-9 or the 7-10 games.

#11 thru # 16 winning in the first round = upset

I felt like the 8-9's were actually the easiest to pick after the 1-16's and 2-15's.

Though I don't think Kentucky has what it takes to bring down Villanova.

In the 7-10's I think Gonzaga is a good upset pick. If Gonzaga really starts to hurt against Indiana I think Pendo will morph into some kind of fireball spitting Pokemon creature and wax the floor with the Hoosiers. Unfortunately there will be some fans caught up in the collateral carnage too.

The rest are really a coin toss for me. Georgia Tech has been battling with solid teams in the ACC, and I haven't been keeping track of Boston College enough to know if Bobby Knight can send them packing.

Nevada is a wildcard for me. I watched the game against New Mexico State, and was shocked that they pulled out the win. NMSU was in charge most of the game. Creighton is on a hot streak, but I think Nevada has the talent to put them on ice.

zagfan08
03-12-2007, 03:17 PM
over the past couple years ive been pretty good at picking upsets (vermont over syracuse, bucknell over kansas, northwestern st. over iowa etc...) so i'll try again..

VCU over Duke
ODU over Butler
Long Beach St. over Tennessee
Winthrop over Notre Dame (and then over Oregon)

I'm not sure about Davidson over Maryland, but it is a possibility.

I don't really see much chance of a 3-14 upset but Wright St. over Pitt. has potential. (maybe even ORU against Wazzu but I sure hope not).

SWZag
03-12-2007, 03:46 PM
One that is a risky pick but I'm going for it is Wright State over Pitt. Wright State has been playing awesome, winning 15 of 16 and two over Butler in that run. They're my biggest upset.

SWZag

beatProgram
03-12-2007, 03:56 PM
I think that's actually a pretty good choice. I'm leaning that way myself.

Wright St. is 2-2 against the RPI top 25 compared to Pitt's 2-6. Pitt did play pretty well in the Big East, but for some reason I have this belief that they're vulnerable. Especially with the way that Georgetown completely handed them their ass on a platter.

BobZag
03-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Wright State
Winthrop
Miami of Ohio

TuckC
03-12-2007, 05:45 PM
Sure the game is nextdoor to Louisville, but the big Lopez twins are starting to play consistent and if you look at it, Louisville plays poorly against bigs. I guess it is a prayer but I think the more Pac 10 the later, the better.

sanfranzagsguy20
03-12-2007, 06:15 PM
albany over virginia...its a lock :D

fedwayzag
03-12-2007, 09:59 PM
My upsets:

Od Dominion
Winthrop
G.T.
VCU
Gonzaga
Texas Tech
Albany
Creighton

Nevtelen
03-12-2007, 10:32 PM
10 over 7 isn't really an upset if you ask me (though I only picked one 10 seed, GU, to win, I'm reallly stuck on the G Tech vs UNLV matchup and could easily see both ways on that).

I'm pretty upset light this year (which will probably doom me to a horrible bracket), but I see:

Winthrop (over ND and then Oregon - come on Eagles!)
VCU over Duke

I'm really debating Wright St over Pitt, but so far I've chosen Pitt. I'm also debating Albany over Virginia, especially considering how Virginia has done on the road, but am taking Virginia for now.

Edit: I just realized I don't have any 5-12 upsets! That's not good... The sexy pick is Arkansas over USC, I think, with the way USC flamed out to Oregon, but I don't know... Arkansas just didn't seem to be all that and a bag of chips.