PDA

View Full Version : Withey not yet released by Arizona

BobZag
11-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Until he has been granted his release, no talks can take place. The Zags are interested but must wait for his release.

Just fyi.

Carry on......

dnj116
11-04-2008, 10:05 AM
If he doesn't play any games, would he be able to play this year for us? Or would he have to sit out for this year? He's a huge recruit for Arizona and this would be a big pick up for us..here's to hoping.

dnj116
11-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Sorry, wasn't too clear with the question, if he doesn't play any games at Arizona, would he technically still be available to play immediately at Gonzaga, say next semester?

cjm720
11-04-2008, 10:10 AM
It doesn't even seem that Gonzaga was on Withey's radar during the recruting process, and there has been no chatter on the boards regarding him as a possible recruit.

Seems like a futile discussion but would be a nice get that's for sure.

GO ZAGS!

BobZag
11-04-2008, 10:26 AM
If he enrolls at another college in, say, January for 2nd semester, he'd have 3.5 years of eligibility. Few & Staff are interested.

Section 116
11-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Sounds like Livengood is playing hardball to me, sour grapes maybe?

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/ss/basketball/101620.php

former1dog
11-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Sounds like Livengood is playing hardball to me, sour grapes maybe?

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/ss/basketball/101620.php

WTF?! :eek:

That just isn't cool on any level. Wow.

BobZag
11-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Arizona's APR would take a hit, I think.

NEZAGFAN
11-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Wow, the UA situation just continues to get worse..I don't see why any big time coach like Few would want to step into that vacancy.

dnj116
11-04-2008, 05:39 PM
This doesn't make any sense to me. Why would Livengood try to keep Withey from transferring if he clearly doesn't want to be there? Like many of these guys, they probably went to Arizona primarly to play under Lute Olson. He's no longer there, so why hold them back just for the sake of not letting them leave.
I guess I don't understand the LOI issue much with this. If there are NCAA regulations on Gonzaga not contacting him thats understandable. But if the kid has not played a game for them, is there anything wrong with him just coming up to Gonzaga for spring semester and playing? This seems very unusual to not grant him his request to leave.

TokyoZag
11-04-2008, 05:53 PM
UA is allowed to do this. The kid committed; it's not his decision anymore. As BZ mentioned, it's UA's APR on the line.

That being said, if you were an all-star, would you chose to early commit to UA? You can bet that crafty recruiters will bring this up in future recruiting battles.

Look at indiana, they released all their players and took the short term hit. The administration had the guts to start from scratch and let the players who wanted to leave go. How productive are unhappy players anyways?

Arizona will benefit in the short term, but I think they are gambling against future recruits...

ZagAddict
11-04-2008, 06:23 PM
This is the result of an AD allowing a program to run out of control and holding a young man hostage in the process. It is complete %#*@ that Livengood can claim APR as the reason to reject a young man's request for transfer. UofA and Livengood (specifically) should be held accountable, including taking an APR hit, for the way they have decided to deal with Olson's situation over the last 12+ months. I hope this situation gains more press and that the UofA athletic department and AD are exposed for what they truly are... :vomit-smiley-007:

What a disgrace... nothing from Livengood surprises me anymore.

Gonezagaga
11-04-2008, 07:02 PM
I believe that this is basically the same scenario that happened to Katelyn(sp) Redmon from Lewis and Clark. She signed her letter of intent with UW and then there was a coaching change. Uw did not grant her the release so she played as a freshman for the huskies and then transferred to GU after the season was over.

MDABE80
11-04-2008, 07:04 PM
It's a bit like the girlymen(:)) at UW did to Katie before game them the Pffffftt and came home to play with GU women's team. AD/coaches can do that but it makes em look awful. Shows fear, insecurity, dishonesty,..hey am I leaving something negative out???..lol;)

It's an unwritten rule these days that if the coach who recruited a player jumps ship, the recuit can leave. In U of A's case, if the other 3 were allowed to bail, not sure why Withey isn't allowed to leave as well. Doesn't make sense.

CDC84
11-04-2008, 09:35 PM
What bothers me about Livengood, in this case, is that this is all about his own failures as an AD. He should've stuck with Kevin O'Neill as his head coach despite Lute's desire to come back. If he would've done that, Withey could've bailed before he even set foot in a Arizona classroom, or he could've thought it over with his family and decided to stay on and play for O'Neill. I bet Withey would've stayed on if he knew that O'Neill was going to be the permanent head coach. Right now, no one knows what the heck is going at Arizona, or what their next move might be.

I have been a long time advocate of the idea that if a freshman-to-be signs his letter of intent, and a coaching change is made in between the time of his signing and the first game he plays in, that player should be able to get out of his LOI immediately. It should be a NCAA rule. Like it or not, prep players, to a large degree, choose schools based on their relationship with the head coach and his assistants. Such a rule would also make AD's think twice before firing a head coach, which happens way too often at the D-1 level these days. I realize that Lute wasn't fired, but Livengood ultimately allowed him to come back despite there being very good reasons not to allow him back.

Section 116
11-05-2008, 09:22 AM
According to this a Withey transfer would hurt UA's APR and potentially lead to the loss of scholarships and Livengood says it is in UA's best interest (read do not lose a schoarship) for Withey to remain at UA for the academic year:

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/college/101669.php

Once and Future Zag
11-05-2008, 09:42 AM
And Withey could get their APR back by going academically ineligble over the year intentionally.

a13coach
11-05-2008, 10:31 AM
And Withey could get their APR back by going academically ineligble over the year intentionally.

True, but that hurts him also. I believe he wants to do well and will strive to excel. He may just take the hit this year and then leave next.

CDC84
11-05-2008, 10:55 AM
It's not just about doing well academically for personal reasons. If he flunks his classes he becomes ineligible to play. It also becomes an issue for the school he wants to transfer to....do they want to take in such a student? The new school probably isn't going to consider the fact that he failed the classes on purpose.