PDA

View Full Version : Don't Overlook Portland State

2011Zag
11-03-2008, 09:36 PM
The Portland State game might be the toughest home game behind Saint Marys. Wazzu played Portland State in a closed scrimmage on Saturday and the Vikings really handed it to the Cougs. They played 4 ten minute quarters and the final score of one of the periods was something like 23-5. The Cougs did start three freshman, but it sounds like PSU delivered an impressive performance.

PSU made it to the tournament last year and returns three starters from last years team, including University of Portland transfer and last years Big Sky player of the year, Jeremiah Dominguez. Phil Nelson, a highly touted high school recruit who originally chose UW over GU and Oregon becomes eligible after transferring from that purple school on the west side.

OZZag
11-03-2008, 10:17 PM
The Portland State game might be the toughest home game behind Saint Marys. Wazzu played Portland State in a closed scrimmage on Saturday and the Vikings really handed it to the Cougs. They played 4 ten minute quarters and the final score of one of the periods was something like 23-5. The Cougs did start three freshman, but it sounds like PSU delivered an impressive performance.

PSU made it to the tournament last year and returns three starters from last years team, including University of Portland transfer and last years Big Sky player of the year, Jeremiah Dominguez. Phil Nelson, a highly touted high school recruit who originally chose UW over GU and Oregon becomes eligible after transferring from that purple school on the west side.

I like PSU and have followed them for the last 4-5 years. They will have probems matching GU up front. The loss of C Scott Morrison their all time block leader and Big Sky Defensive player of the year (last year) will be bigger than most of their people are willing to admit. Heytvelt and Daye will kill them up front and Pargo/Meech will contain Dominiguez. GU by at least 20 points.

CDC84
11-03-2008, 10:28 PM
PSU is being picked by just about everyone to win the Big Sky. In many ways, I wish Gonzaga were playing them the 2nd game of the season instead of Idaho. It would be a nice lead in going into the Old Spice Classic.

WCC Fan
11-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Portland State also has another transfer from UP, forward Jamie Jones, who was a pretty effective WCC player his sophomore season. They aren't as weak up front as you think.

Coug Tracks
11-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Well...WSU was playing without Rotchestie, Baynes, and I believe Harmeling.

PSU was a good early scrimmage for WSU. Good team, well coached, they run. WSU had a tough time with them last year until pulling away late and winning by 9.

Zagdawg
11-04-2008, 07:30 AM
I agree they could be a handful --especially if our guys go into the game thinking they are another Eastern--(not that Eastern is a bad team--but just a bit outmanned).

azzagfan
11-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Ken Bone's done a great job at Portland State, my guess is the AD at UW has noticed the respective trend lines of the two programs since Bone left as an assistant at UW and arrived on campus at PSU. If Romar doesn't deliver this year, Ken may get a call back from the Huskies.

JohnOGU
11-04-2008, 11:51 PM
No way they can hang with us. Period. GU by 20 at least.

HOOTER
11-05-2008, 12:31 AM
No way they can hang with us. Period. GU by 20 at least.

The Zags will win by 20 if they don't go into the game actually thinking they'll win by 20. Gonzaga will win this game, but they really do need to take Portland State seriously, which I have no doubt they will. It may be a bit more of a challenge than PSU has been in the past.