PDA

View Full Version : GU mentioned in story about low graduation rates

FuManShoes
03-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Still waking up, which may explain why this story makes so little sense. The period examined began 11 years ago and the conclusions drawn ... Well, I don't know what to make of the conclusions drawn.

Other NCAA tournament-bound programs with low [Federal Graduation Rates] were: Tennessee (8 percent), UNLV (10 percent), Maryland (13 percent), Texas A&M (15 percent), Virginia Tech (17 percent), Gonzaga and Louisville (22 percent), Georgia Tech, Kentucky and Oral Roberts (23 percent), Memphis and North Texas and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (25 percent).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17579315/

brasszag
03-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Still waking up, which may explain why this story makes so little sense. The period examined began 11 years ago and the conclusions drawn. Well, I don't now what to make of the conclusions drawn ....

That's because Doudney, Dickau, Knight, Ammo, etc don't count.

It's a meaningless number taken by itself - like trying to tell how fast a car is going right now by taking a reading from the odometer once a month.

CDC84
03-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Don't you love how these studies come out right before the NCAA tourney or the final four?? Somebody always has an axe to grind with college athletics, and they always seem to bring it on right when the sport is most visible to individuals who don't realize that these stats are flawed.

The only stat that matters is the APR, which is what the NCAA is using. Last time I checked, Gonzaga was in excellent shape in that area.

BobZag
03-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Still waking up, which may explain why this story makes so little sense. The period examined began 11 years ago and the conclusions drawn. Well, I don't now what to make of the conclusions drawn ....

Texas A&M, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Oral Roberts... These are widely recognized as outstanding academic institutions.

Something is amiss.

kdaleb
03-12-2007, 12:22 PM
That's because Doudney, Dickau, Knight, Ammo, etc don't count.
Also, freshmen who transfer don't count, even if they graduate somewhere else, so Doudney counts against Texas Tech even though he has a GU degree, Dickau & Knight count against UW, etc.

For GU's bad grad rates, take a look at the freshmen on the 1999-2000 team:
10 GEBBERS, John
11 FORBES, Germayne
14 WILLIAMS, Kenny
21 KINCAID, Matt
22 TRICCO, Jimmy
32 GOURDE, Zach
34 SHERRELL, Jay

Did anyone besides Gourde actually stay more than 2 years? I know Tricco ended up at Duquesne and Forbes transfered to somewhere in Georgia...

Point being (which has been made multiple times above), the grad rates are a sucky way to evaluate small groups like sports teams. They are designed to measure a schools ability to retain and graduate an entire freshman class. DI basketball players by definition have very different motivators for retention than the average student population.