PDA

View Full Version : I Like Our Freshmen

El Voce
11-02-2008, 08:27 AM
I don't even pretend to be any type of expert, but I really liked what I saw from our freshmen, both last night and at the Krazy in the Kennel. I think it portends a bright future for the Zags.

Meech Goodson is very fast, but seemed (mostly) to control his speed well -- no dumb turnovers.

Poling is very skinny, as per his previous medical problems, but has some very real offensive skills. He battled hard underneath for every rebound.

Gibbs was mostly quiet last night, but (to this non-expert) he seemed to know the offense pretty well, and played defense right in his opponent's kitchen.

The trio seems to fit in well with veterans, as there was absolutely no signs of any chemistry problems.

Will they redshirt? I have no idea. It would probably be beneficial for the long term if Poling and Gibbs redshirt this year, as playing time would be scarce. I don't imagine either of them want to, as no 18 yearold competitor wants to be told to sit.

gu03alum
11-02-2008, 08:35 AM
I was very pleasantly surprised by Poling. I thought he showed some good skills in the post. He looks like a very polished player down low.

ZagAddict
11-02-2008, 09:02 AM
This is a GREAT group of freshmen this year. I am thoroughly impressed and pleased to have each one... Few has 3 solid players that definitely fit his system. In many years each could contribute immediately, but the Zags have so much senion experience/depth this year. I would love to have Poling and Gibbs for a 5th year (ala Malon) because of the playing time situation this year for each of them, but I trust the best decision will be made.

Meech is by far and away the most mature freshman PG I have seen in a Zag uniform in a long time. The majority of his points are going to come off steals and breakaway layups, but he knows how to run the point without forcing turnovers and plays in-your-face defense. Meech can step in immediately and contribute... I can't wait to see him defend point guards like Patty Mills and allow Pargo to not have to worry about picking up defensive fouls :D

Gibbs reminds me so much of Pendo... he will do whatever you ask him to do. The play that sticks in my mind is his scrammble on the floor for a loose ball on the opponent's baseline. He refused to not come out of the pile without that ball. It ended up as a jumpball (possession arrow WSC), but he showed the willingness to get on the floor for a loose ball. I can just see the type of leadership qualities he will bring to the Zags as an upperclassman... I see why the staff was so thrilled to get him :)

Poling is going to be a good player for many years in a Zag uniform. As with the majority freshman, he needs to put on some size to bang down low at this level... but the offensive skills and fire-inside is definitely there. We didn't see his outside range last night against WSC, but that is another part of his arsenal. As a selfish Zag fan I am rooting for Poling to redshirt so I can enjoy 4 full years of solid playing time for Andy :)

gamagin
11-02-2008, 09:08 AM
well said.

thanks,

MedZag
11-02-2008, 09:09 AM
People forgot how high Poling was rated till his medical condition knocked him off the national radar.

Reborn
11-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Like Pendo, who some have compared him to, He probably will not redshirt because of the injury to Sacre. I think David had a great career, and as we ALL know was a great Zag. I look forward to seeing Poling play this year. He may also bring back memories of that skinny kid from Skagit county, who was truly a great Zag.

BobZag
11-02-2008, 09:42 AM
It's a blue collar, bring your lunch pale to work trio. It looks like these three guys will be a solid core in a few years. No stars, just solid, skilled players. I liked them, too.

CDC84
11-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Few said in Meehan's blog for the game that Andy is way ahead of where the staff thought he would be right now. He's also sporting a black eye right now from practice.

JohnOGU
11-02-2008, 01:14 PM
The freshmen looked great. I ca see Meech and Poling developing into stars at their positions... Gibbs, gottalove the scrappy toughness.

This being "the year" for the zags, i realy dont think we should red-shirt poling. After watching him last night, i feel he would add so much depth for us. This year, we go all out for the prize.

OZZag
11-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Goodman is saying that Rob is back in 3 weeks.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox/2008/10/31/SCRIMMAGE_LIST_ON_TAP_GROCE_MAKING_TRANSITION

If he is progressing well then I think that Poling should redshirt, they can always pull him in if they end up with other injury concerns.

roxdoc
11-02-2008, 03:06 PM
If he is correct about Rob that would be great. But being back before Dec 1 seems awfully quick to me. Don't want to rush things in detriment to Rob's longer term outlook.

kylasdad
11-02-2008, 09:43 PM
voce said

Poling is very skinny, as per his previous medical problems, but has some very real offensive skills. He battled hard underneath for every rebound.

Poling definately doesnt have a JP esque body right now, however I didn't think he was "very skinny". I was sitting about 8 rows off the court behind the GU bench and he looks huge compared to Austin. I even heard a lady behind me say he looked kind of short, the guy she was talking to said, "that is probably because he is so well filled out."

Regardless, it will be nice to see him with another 20-30lbs of meat on his bones!

MBZags
11-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Goodman is saying that Rob is back in 3 weeks.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox/2008/10/31/SCRIMMAGE_LIST_ON_TAP_GROCE_MAKING_TRANSITION

If he is progressing well then I think that Poling should redshirt, they can always pull him in if they end up with other injury concerns.

FWIW, I saw Sacre in the COG over the weekend, and I don't think he had a boot or anything on and looked like he was walking fine.

Nevtelen
11-02-2008, 10:16 PM
voce said

Poling definately doesnt have a JP esque body right now, however I didn't think he was "very skinny". I was sitting about 8 rows off the court behind the GU bench and he looks huge compared to Austin. I even heard a lady behind me say he looked kind of short, the guy she was talking to said, "that is probably because he is so well filled out."

Regardless, it will be nice to see him with another 20-30lbs of meat on his bones!

There's a pic of him in the KREM slideshow. He doesn't look painfully thin, but he certainly has room to put on some muscle.

ZagNative
11-03-2008, 12:08 AM
Here's an enlarged pic from that KREM 2 slideshow.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Poling/2008-11-01AndyPolingvWichitaState.jpg

I didn't think he looked painfully thin. Looks like he's at least been hitting the weight room.

seasontixholder
11-03-2008, 05:40 AM
It looks like these three guys will be a solid core in a few years. No stars, just solid, skilled players.

Agree. Poling wil be a very good player, better than Sean Mallon in several departments. But he is still 2 years away from being able to compete against tougher players than WSC brought.

Goodson has a chance to be a star if he has - or develops - offensive skills that he hasn't demonstrated in public yet. I love the rest of his game.

Gibbs is tough like Pendo, but hasn't shown the outside shooting ability that Pendo possessed and showed from the time he began scrimmaging at GU while in high school.

This is not a stellar class like last year's.

75Zag
11-03-2008, 06:07 AM
I have been a booster of Andy Poling for a while on this board and have been lucky enough to see many of his high school games. If he had not suffered the health problems of his junior year, it is my opinion that GU would have been competing against Kansas, UNC, etc. to recruit him. From what I hear and see, Andy's problems are behind him and we can expect 4 years of great play. I hope he redshirts, as I think he will move from good to great with 15 pounds of muscle and a year of big-man coaching at the D 1 level. But if GU needs him now, then so be it.

Whatever happens, it is great to see another Portland area player added to the GU system. There are some fantastic younger kids in this area, and keeping a strong GU - Portland connection may reap even greater rewards for GU in the future.

MickMick
11-03-2008, 08:16 AM
Throw in Arop, Dower, and possibly Kong.

Raise the eyebrows of a couple potential players after a deep run. Maybe get a Josh Smith interested.

I agree with El Voce about liking this freshman class.

And I will go beyond saying that Meech is blue collar. What Pargo has in bulk, Meech makes up for in quickness. I see at least as high of a ceiling for Meech as there is for Pargo.

Pargo was WCC player of the year. That means star....not blue collar. I see Meech as a star. He will run the Zag offense like a fine Swiss watch.