• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seasontixholder
    Banned
    • Nov 2007

2008-09: the last year of the run

Unless Daye foregoes the draft or there is some instant infusion like Batista, there won't be enough talent to keep it going. There's going to be a BIG drop off in athleticism and scoring ability. Gray will be the only one with near-NBA skills, compared to the abundance of this year's lineup.
  • kclubfounder
    Zag for Life
    • Aug 2007

To keep "it" going. What is "it"? Will Gonzaga have a pre-season top 10 ranking? Doubtful. During this magical 10 year run there have been plenty of teams with lower expectations than their predecessors. But Gonzaga, like a few other select teams, does not rebuild, they reload.

And I think it is a bit early to start getting worked up about next year's starting 5.

Comment

• GoZags
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Somehow I think the Zags will muddle through and be okay.

I took a quick peek at your other posts -- in one post you'd asked "Who's Manny?" and mentioned that you didn't follow recruiting. I'm sure most Zag fans don't follow recruiting with the passion that some on this board do -- but at this point in the Zags' "Cute Little Run" it is perceived by some to be a good thing to have a little faith in the Coaching Staff.... and their ability to attract kids to the GU program that fit with what they want to do.

In another post you'd mentioned that Gonzaga is a place where 3 point shooters go to die (over the last 5 years or so). I think Derek was a pretty good shooter, and I believe Steven Gray is pretty good. I think if Josh plays tough inside and demands a double-team -- then this year we'll be decent from long range.

Sure, it's tough each year to see kids graduate and new kids come in.

But I continue to believe the best days for Gonzaga Basketball continue to lie ahead.
      sigpic
      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
      ——-
      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• kitzbuel
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by seasontixholder View Post
        Unless Daye foregoes the draft or there is some instant infusion like Batista, there won't be enough talent to keep it going. There's going to be a BIG drop off in athleticism and scoring ability. Gray will be the only one with near-NBA skills, compared to the abundance of this year's lineup.
        OH CRAP!!! You're right!!! The staff forgot to recruit!!!
        'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
        - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• MickMick
          Zag for Life
          • Apr 2007

Goodson, Poling, Gibbs, Sacre, Gray, Dower, Arop, etc., etc.

The future looks bleak
          Last edited by MickMick; 11-02-2008, 05:22 PM.
          I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• bigblahla
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Ignorance is no excuse for this post. You are not a Zag fan(atic) or you would not have posted such drivel. We Zag fans know what's coming down the pike and the future has never been brighter. In the future if you want us to take you seriously or you care to join in discussions whether pro or con about our Zags either establish a meaningful position to converse from or add the sarcasm tags, lame really lame.

Go!! Zags!!!
            "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• cjm720
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2007

I hope the original poster holds season tix to the Chiefs. Wow.

To a very bright future...GO ZAGS!!!!
              Go Zags!!!

Comment

• seasontixholder
                Banned
                • Nov 2007

I just looked at our team last night when the seniors and Daye were sitting, and it didn't look like a tournament team for Spring 2010.

This year's team is an epic one for us, so I am not comparing it to what I project for the future.

The guard play will be just fine, but the rotation of Sacre, Foster, Poling is not going to cut it against a national schedule next year. Maybe the year after, but not next year.

I am not saying that GU is going back to where it was a decade ago. Only that next year's team is going to be a longshot for getting an at large bid. The league tournament will be a must.

Comment

• Rangerzag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

I just looked at our team last night when the seniors and Daye were sitting, and it didn't look like a tournament team for Spring 2010.

Spring 2010 is sixteen months or so away.
                  "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
                  "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
                  I am monitoring the price of a donut

Comment

• seasontixholder
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2007

People were making lineup projections that far out all summer. So where is this outside the bounds?

Let's be realistic. On next year's roster there will be one possible NBA draftee, Gray, that is fully mature (assuming Austin is gone). The rest are either lesser talents, or will be young.

There's a gap, unless a mature talent is added or if one of the new recruits turns out to be turn-key.

Comment

• BroncoZAG615
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

You can't make a prediction until you have all the information. I mean, at least wait until the roster is set for God sakes. There is still way too much in the air for you to make any sort of comment about 2010.

The Kong situation is still in the air, Few will probably add two more players to the 09' class and we don't know if Austin is going to leave for the draft.

This thread is beyond premature. Yes, we lose things but can we enjoy this season before we start freaking out about next season. Sit down, relax, and watch basketball. Few and the staff will take care of the rest for you.

Comment

• GoZags
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

You specifically mentioned J.P. Batista is your opening salvo.

Hopefully you realize that there's a good possibility of a J.C. big joining the team for next year (although you may not, because, as you've mentioned, you don't pay attention to recruiting).

BTW, the Zags have some pretty solid commitments coming in.

And one other point -- perhaps you've failed to notice that young kids tend to have a tendency to improve -- i.e. Cory Violette between his freshman year and when he graduated -- Ronny Turiaf between his freshman year and when he graduated -- Casey Calvary between his freshman year and when he graduated....etc.etc.etc. etc.

BTW, you also saw one of the bright spots of the Zag's future in street clothes last night.
                        sigpic
                        “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                        ——-
                        List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                        Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• a4zag
                          Bulldog Fan
                          • Oct 2008

???

Ya, when the seniors were sitting we weren't quite as good. Why is that? Oh maybe because half the players on the court were freshman in their first real game at the Kennel and in College basketball. This team will mature and I have all the confidence in the guys to maintain great seasons to come.
                          Don't hate just because the freshmen are still getting to know the program.

To many great seasons to come,
                          -A 4 Zag

Comment

• bigblahla
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

The guard play will be just fine, but the rotation of Sacre, Foster, Poling is not going to cut it against a national schedule next year.
                            If we experience what would be considered normal progress in player skill development as they become older and more experienced in the the Zag program and D-1 ball in general then I disagree with your above comment 100%.

Big Rob will make his mark at GU. Rob's stated he will bring a national title to GU before he leaves and I believe him and in him. He will be a force in the paint sooner not later.

Anyone who watched Andy Poling in the exhibition game has to know that he will be more than just a pleasant surprise, the kid is a gamer with a nose for the ball, soft hands and offensive and defensive skills that will only get better playing against the likes of Josh, Rob and Will day in and day out in practice. Andy may well be one of the top big men in the country before his career at GU is over. He may contribute this year but definitely will be in the mix in a big way next year.

Will is 7'4" or 7'5" you can't teach height. Will looks like he will contribute valuable minutes this season and there's no reason to believe he won't be even better next year. As I stated above the future is bright.

The talent that has already committed to GU, Dower and Arop and possibly Kong if visa issues are resolved and then add possibly Montreal or a like JUCO transfer and we are going to compete with any team in the country for a long time to come.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!
                            "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• zaguarxj
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

seasontixholder - You are absolutely right. The zags are in for a long downhill slide. I suggest you unload your season tickets now, while you still can. Please PM me and I'll give you a generous offer.

Comment

Working...
                              X