PDA

View Full Version : ?'s for those in the Spoka-know

Akzag
11-02-2008, 01:38 AM
A few queries that I really didn't see addressed elsewhere ... all things granted, exhibition, level of competition, first game ... blah blah blah.

1) Crowd - I yawn nowadays when I see the attendance at 6,000. Were the seats filled? Were they engaged? How did the KC, 2008 edition look?

2) Sacre - I assume that he was there. But haven't seen any recent reports. Has he progressed to a brace? How is his "carriage" (as in attitude, not horse)?

3) Chemistry - Three newbies, and two walk-ins got playing time. Did we see any noticeable mentoring? Any resistance to instruction?

4) New three point line - No 3's hoisted by Pargo. Nor Josh. Not even Ira!. Our "shooters" shot. Austin 2-2, Matt 2-2, Micah 2-4. Pretty much the guys you want taking those longer shots. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to Steven for just an off night from outside. (Grant also missed his only attempt - not enough info there). So, did other guys pass on threes? Or did they still take long jumpers, that just weren't long enough anymore? (and of course, we didn't "need" to, perhaps. Just wondering if there was any noticeable difference.)

5) Defense - What kind of experimentation did we try? Press, man, zone?

6) This got touched on briefly in the game thread. I guess I had assumed that Matt (or even Micah) would be the first one off the bench, and was a little surprised that it was Steven instead. It's not set in stone, and things happen in practice that can determine these things.
But the 6th man discussion might be better left for its own thread. Either Matt or Steven "should/could" be able run the point for the "second unit", or spell either of the starting guards, so it seems more likely that it will be one of those two at least early in the season. Just based off of last year's results, and Majerus' man-crush aside, I assumed Steven would start.

That's it for now. Please know that all of us outside the realm of the magical talking boxes appreciate all of your observations. I'm not nit-picking ... I just want more.

From my igloo within sight of Russia ~ Ak

sittingon50
11-02-2008, 07:18 AM
I'll just hit a couple, AK:

1. I saw empty seats here & there in the East end zone, though I assume they were sold.

KC did a good job I thought. Didn't get cranked up real early, but when they did they were fairly loud. Stayed engaged the whole game, even though it got out of control early. Started chanting "Wayne St. High School" about half way thru the 1st half, which I felt was out of place.

3. I thought the chemistry was good as measured by the defensive intensity. Looked like everyone was really buying in. Will looked a bit lost a few times, but the effort was there.

BroncoZAG615
11-02-2008, 07:37 AM
- Crowd was decent. A lot more empty seats in the general fan section than I thought their would be. The KC was full and pretty effective. As 50 said, it got out of control early so people kind of checked out in the middle of the game. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt being that it is Halloweeen weekend... lots of tired eyes in the crowd

- Sacre probably has the best attitude on the team and was loving the game. I've heard that his recoup time is right on track and things are positive.

- Chemistry was great. The guys were laughing and it looks like the freshmen are bringing in some very good attitudes. Meech and Grant were smiling and having fun out there, and Andy was playing very hard throughout. Chemistry is not an issue.

- Hopefully the three point shooting is a microcosm of the season. Jeremy will take some over they year but I'd rather have Josh and Ira working in the paint full time. No one had to force anything so the shooters shot and Josh and Ira went down and banged around in the post. Matt's shot looked very pure and hit both threes in pretty solid traffic. Steven was off but sometimes that happens.

- Nothing really crazy on defense. Some soft press to start the game which produced quite a few steals including three by Micah but other than that it was pretty status quo. Micah, Steven, and Ira are flying around out there on defense and are committed to making this a shutdown type team. Meech is going to be great in the press because no one can beat him down the court.

- I'd be stunned if Matt didn't start. He started all last year and played very well for a majority of the season. Mark Few has shown that he sticks with a lineup for the duration of the year unless something goes very wrong. I don't think Micah or Matt will be moved to the bench this year but Steven will get his. I really don't think it is a huge deal who starts and who doesn't. Like we saw last night, you change sub in two teams of five and the team would still play at a high level.

roxdoc
11-02-2008, 07:43 AM
On the subs - there really wasn't a 6th man. They just subed a whole second unit, with Gray in the 2nd unit. As far as point, Meech look quite adequate. Obviously he has more to learn but he is good to go.

On defense we pressed quite a bit, but still were leaving wide open 3's too often. Luckily they didn't have a player named Currie

gamagin
11-02-2008, 08:41 AM
but I think due to the nature of this game, it would be unfair to praise too much, nor condemn at all, everything from crowds to chemistry.

It was just too lopsided a contest. There was about as much tension in K2 as I would suggest exists in the Foley (or the old Crosby or law) library during Christmas break.

What we did witness, I believe, is the beginning of what promises and should be a great year of growth, winning and advancement -- whether it's the KC, the K2 overall or the team.

The possibility of a steady froth for 40 straight minutes is there if and when the team and the KC show why we should and the KC shows us how.

But the elements, if you are looking for the right chemical analgy, is certainly there and it could happen. And I hope it does and look forward to the kind of action I believe we will be seeing to encouarge another championship season.

best regards,

LynetteG
11-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Something to note was the game contract stipulated that only man-to-man could be played the entire game as GU hasn't had enough time with zone in practice.

I loved how WSC kept playing even though they were definitely beat. They will take away much from this game, as we will, too.

ZaggyStardust
11-02-2008, 10:52 AM
What an incredible game last night! The potential is enormous!

On the KGA post-game show last night, Tom Hudson interviewed Josh and asked him about staying more in the post rather than playing the perimiter and he stated that is his role and his intention is to play there for the entire season... Music to my ears!

roxdoc
11-02-2008, 12:01 PM
An answer to a question that you didn't ask AKzag:

The offensive scheme last night was to really push, and test, the inside game. Hence lots of scoring by the "bigs" and lots of assists by the "smalls". It gave the staff a chance to look at how post-injury Josh and Austin were doing and also how far Will and Andy have come along. Also can Ira! have an impact as a rebounder. To succeed at the very highest level the team really needs to have strength and experience in the front court, and what we saw looked promising. Everyone knows how blessed we are with talent at the guards and wings. Although as a group (save Micha) they didn't score as much, the backcourt looked solid on ball handling and passing and for the most part tight defense.

Early days yet, but all the pieces are there and it sure looks like they are beginning to come together.

gamagin
11-02-2008, 01:04 PM
[QUOTE=LynetteG;277831]Something to note was the game contract stipulated that only man-to-man could be played the entire game as GU hasn't had enough time with zone in practice.

I loved how WSC kept playing even though they were definitely beat. They will take away much from this game, as we will, too."

I never heard of such an arrangement. Not that I should. I just haven't.

pretty amazing on its face. can you elaborate ?

thanks,

LynetteG
11-02-2008, 02:59 PM
I never heard of such an arrangement. Not that I should. I just haven't.

pretty amazing on its face. can you elaborate ?

thanks,

Not really. Heister and Elho mentioned it during the game. Not sure how it was worked into the contract, but it was, as evidenced by the man-to-man being played all night long.

ZagNative
11-02-2008, 03:22 PM
I thought it was an interesting arrangement when I heard Ehlo and Heister say it as well. However, Wayne State was a buy-in game, so presumably the Zags could use the game to work on whatever aspect of their game they wished.

hondo46
11-02-2008, 04:44 PM
These exhibition games are more about teaching and preparation than competition. At this point the staff must want to work on man to man offense.

Akzag
11-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Thanks to all for the responses