PDA

View Full Version : Fear of a big bad Zag

brasszag
03-12-2007, 10:53 AM
To quote the IU folks at peegs.com

They have one big kid that is a real threat (Mallon) (http://indiana.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=726&mid=91159477&sid=942&tid=91152379&style=1)

I guess Sean put the fear in them last year...

Apparently Micah (Johnson?! (http://indiana.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=726&mid=91154145&sid=942&tid=91152379&style=1)) can't board or defend (http://indiana.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=726&mid=91155998&sid=942&tid=91152379&style=1) and we don't play well as a team.

I love how nobody follows West Coast ball... we're a mystery team!

cougs4ever
03-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Sean killed the Hoosiers last year. Everything he put up went in.

I'm going to watch that DVD on Wednesday night, just to get ready for Thursday's rematch. Ammo didn't have a very good game at all. I remember the match-up inside of JP and their big guy from Texas (?!!!) was supposed to be a big story-line, too, but JP dominated, Ammo was off, but Sean was huge.

brasszag
03-12-2007, 11:46 AM
You just reminded me I got the iTunes highlight reel from that game - need to watch it when I get home :-)

Thomas_Sutpen
03-12-2007, 12:43 PM
I love how nobody follows West Coast ball... we're a mystery team!

I don't put much stock in what the fans say--most of those guys were in bed when the 12:00am EST WCC games came on Big Monday.

However, you can bet that Sampson knows who Downs (Johnson!) is, and that he'll get plenty of tape to prepare. No matter your thoughts on Sampson, he WILL prepare his team. Our cinderella days are over (at least in the sense of sneaking up on someone)--and Sampson said as much in an interview after the seedings were announced. IU will NOT take us lightly.

That being said, we are a mystery team due to our radically different look after Josh's suspension. Even if the IU team gets tape, anything before the Memphis game shows a different team (I don't count St Mary's and SC just after the arrest, since we were still finding ourselves).

I don't see how looking at tape from the regular season, for example, would help a team prepare for the "All-WCC tourney" Pendo. Downs is perhaps more predictable, but still dangerous. How do you prepare for a guy who won't hesitate to pull up at 24 feet? And if they do study tape from the WCC tourney, how much do they prepare for Mallon, since he was playing injured the whole time? How much will he heal?

I just think the whole thing will be messy for the Hoosiers in terms of game plan, especially on defense. The only obvious strategy is to locate and guard Raivio at all times. [intersting tidbit from Peegs.com board: "I think Calloway gets lazy on D away from the ball. If he is going to guard Ravio, that could be a concern. He is tremendous on the ball though."]. If Calloway will guard D-Rav, he'd better be ready to fight through some screens.

Anyway, my point is to agree that no matter how you look at it, we're going to be a "mystery" even for the most persistent of planners.

brasszag
03-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Good call Thomas.

The best way Indiana can game plan is to key on Raivio and Downs as the outside threat, and to reduce access to the lane by Pargo, Bouldin, and Mallon - then make the appropriate half-time adjustments if things aren't working well.

I suspect that they will try and run as "straight" a defense as possible so that they can make tweaks to it easier in game-time.

gonzagulous
03-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Wow that message board is a mess, ours is like heaven in comparison (thank you board admins!! :D ) It's kind of funny reading what some of those fans have to say about the Zags...

"Their guards are solid, but our guard core is better. If we play anywhere close to our potential, we will have this game by more than a few points...If we play like we do in most road games it will be close."

Hmm I was thinking the same thing about us.... And if they play like they do in most road games and we play like we've been playing for the last few games, it's going to be a long night for the Hoosiers.

DrDrivel
03-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Another important factor is the Big Stage Performance. Do they have guys who crave the spotlight and turn it up a notch for a national audience? Pargo fits that bill. Now and then, Raivio, too. We've yet to see Micah log significant minutes in that situation, but he seems to have the poise and fire for it.

That's as big a factor as anything. If Pargo really decides that he's going to drive and spin his way to victory, who would stand in his way?

That said, a lot of factors have to come together for that to happen/work.

brasszag
03-12-2007, 01:47 PM
I woudn't forget that Derek and Sean know that every game from here on out - unless they win - it's their last.

That level of pressure could cause lesser people to crumple I think Sean and Derek's shoulders are broad enough to stand up to that.

They've also got to be wanting - in the back of their heads - to win 2 (assuming UCLA doesn't get upset by Weber St.) to exorcize some demons I think - but they're not foolish enough to get caught looking ahead.

TuckC
03-12-2007, 02:14 PM
No offense, but Sean isn't the most athletic guy in the world, I hope Indiana fears him, because that will leave Pendo outside and if he gets hot, Raivio will have an easier chance for success.

brasszag
03-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Sean may not be the most athletic, but he's tailored his game to his strengths - he's a great floor captain in terms of keeping the Flex moving, and will make people who underestimate him because of his "athleticism issues" pay with his spin move, or dish to Downs for a 3.

beatProgram
03-12-2007, 04:15 PM
If Calloway will guard D-Rav, he'd better be ready to fight through some screens.

Which screens? The ones that nobody sets long enough to actually pick off the defender, or the ones not strong enough to send him to the floor?

Other than that...

I agree that the guys are going to be hard to prepare for. There are just too many variables that have come on late in the year that are nightmare match-ups for opposing teams.

Pendo as a serious offensive threat. Pargo and Bouldin as the linebackers through the lane. Downs from anywhere on either end. Kuso establishing his position in the lane and keeping up with the full court offense tempo. PMAC potentially finally having turned a corner.

beatProgram
03-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Sean may not be the most athletic, but he's tailored his game to his strengths - he's a great floor captain in terms of keeping the Flex moving

EDITED

:lmao:

I need to call the cable guy and have him check my setup because I must have been watching something completely different when the guide said, "Gonzaga vs. ... "

UberZagFan
03-12-2007, 04:30 PM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I need to call the cable guy and have him check my setup because I must have been watching something completely different when the guide said, "Gonzaga vs. ... "

I've never really understood the need to laugh in response to a positive thread about a GU player on a GU board. While I see no problem with disagreeing by stating the reasons for your disagreement (unlike some others who just can't handle the disagreement), I really see no purpose to just respond with 3 lmaos.

Now being a smartass jerk can sometimes be funny (see many of Uber's other posts), this doesn't appear to be one of those times.

;)

jayray
03-12-2007, 04:42 PM
I've never really understood the need to laugh in response to a positive thread about a GU player on a GU board. While I see no problem with disagreeing by stating the reasons for your disagreement (unlike some others who just can't handle the disagreement), I really see no purpose to just respond with 3 lmaos.

Now being a smartass jerk can sometimes be funny (see many of Uber's other posts), this doesn't appear to be one of those times.

;)

My initial response is the same as your's beatProgram, apparently I too have been watching different games than others.

lothar98zag
03-12-2007, 05:07 PM
My initial response is the same as your's beatProgram, apparently I too have been watching different games than others.
shocking!

brasszag
03-12-2007, 06:03 PM
I should know better by now to bring up anything positive about Sean :(

beatProgram
03-12-2007, 06:41 PM
I should know better by now to bring up anything positive about Sean :(

Bring up all the positive things you want about Mallon. Having the statements more accurately represent his play would be helpful though.

The flex offense relies entirely on moving without the ball and a constant flurry of solid screens. Two things Mallon is almost particularly poor at, rather than especially good.

The one thing I really like about Mallon is he's the sneakiest player on the team. By that I mean that, from time to time, out of nowhere he ends up unguarded at the post ready for an open look to kiss an easy 2 off the glass.

There's nothing flashy about it so you never get to see a replay, but I'm always left thinking, "Where the hell did he come from?"

I always get visions of the butler from Mr. Deeds. "Sneaky sneaky, sir."

zaglawdad
03-12-2007, 06:52 PM
There are a lot of postives to Sean brasszag. Not the least of which is his leadership. Sean always seems to be able to calm the other guys on the floor. He plays with a great deal of heart. Even when he finds himself overmatched he doesn't back down. I hope you'll continue to post positives about Sean. Just don't count on anything positive from a guy like jayray. I know I don't.

gamagin
03-12-2007, 07:04 PM
How are the zags doing with injuries and the flu ?

Is everyone off the Red Cross squad, injury free, and ready to go ?

that could make a big difference, too.

Also, how about IU ? Any key personnel concerns on their end ?

brasszag
03-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks,

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who feels better about this team when he's on the court.

It's like Cohen the Barbarian from Terry Pratchett's books in a way. Cohen's old and grey, but he's seen every trick in the book, and sees it coming a mile away - and then when you're thinking he's slow, he'll sneak in some long forgotten treachery to even the score - and before you know it Sean's got 8 points, 7 boards, and has drawn 4 offensive fouls.

UberZagFan
03-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who feels better about this team when he's on the court.

Well, you are not alone. I posted in another thread that I would like to see the plus/minus numbers for Mallon. I just don't know if those stats are kept for college ball. As I stated before, I suspect Mallon has one of the best plus/minus stats on the team (DRav is prolly the best).

Also, regarding the above comments about the flex...while I agree that a lot of that offense depends on screens/moving without the ball and the other half of that is passing and Mallon is one of the better passers when the team is moving well without the ball (as well he is one of the few players that would feed the post (or feed it well) earlier in the year).

cougs4ever
03-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Sean did have a monster game last year against IU. Every rebound came his way, every loose ball appeared at his feet. But he converted almost all his attempts, and I don't recall him missing a FT. In last year's game, Mallon was guarded by 6-5 Hoosiers all night. I don't think that will be the case this year. The Hoosiers started just one player bigger than 6-5, Marco Killingsworth, and he had to take JP.

Seniors do great things this time of year. I expect Mallon and Raivio to be as important as anyone on the team. I think Downs or Pargo or even Pendo could be the leading scorer on any night. But in terms of total contribution, I'd like to see Mallon and Raivio on the floor all night.

jayray
03-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Just don't count on anything positive from a guy like jayray. I know I don't.

That is not true whatsoever, earlier in the season when Josh refused to play down low - I praised Mallon for actually stepping up like a man and playing hard down low. There was a couple game stretch where Josh was playing like a major sally-boy taking all his shots from the outside and I made the argument that Mallon should be playing over Josh. Where I did offer my negative opinion was in the tournament championship game where Mallon had an atrocious game and everyone was acting like he was the player of the game. If Mallon grabs 6 boards and scores more than 4 points and takes no three point shots in the Indiana game - I will offer my praise. As the senior leader on the team is that too much to ask of him?