PDA

View Full Version : After some time to digest...here are my thoughts on the matchup

MDZag
03-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Although this game is really a strength vs. strength game with Gonzaga’s guards pitted against IU’s guards I think we got a good draw. If you take out the match-ups of D-Rav, Pargo, and Bouldin vs. Ratliff, Bassett, and Wilmont and call those a wash, which is tough to do becuase at times we have a hard time stopping the three this season, you are really faced with our PF and C vs. theirs.

We have a distinct advantage when you look at Mallon, Kuso, Pendo, and Downs. Mallon will be given the task of guarding Mike White, who is understized at the 4 and could find Bouldin guarding him at times. Mallon should be able to dominate him on the boards and get his usual 8-10 points in the paint. Kuso will be put on DJ White, who is accurate inside 6-7 feet but Kuso’s athleticism should keep him in check and his ability to go after offensive boards could be the determining factor in who wins this match-up.

This brings us to Gonzaga’s two key players, both of whom will be coming off the bench but playing significant minutes. If Downs can contribute as he did down the stretch, as I fully expect him to do, and Pendo can come in and stroke it like he has the last couple of games, Gonzaga should win this one. IU does not have an answer for Downs as Stemler will not be able to take away both Downs range from 3 and his ability to grab 10 boards. Pendo has had a ton of experience this year being his scrappy self and banging around inside due to the loss of Josh. Both of these will be factors throughout the game and we should expect 25-30 points and 10-12 boards between the two of them.

Obviously a greater analysis of the guard play is required to get a full picture of the game, but I think that Gonzaga has the extra pieces that will put this one in their favor.

jazzdelmar
03-12-2007, 10:01 AM
MD is the key. Few teams, incl IU, have a good match for an athletic 6-8 sharpshooter who can also rebound. Downs can be off, but he can also go 12 for 15, which will prob produce a win for GU. As the post-arrest season wore on, it was clear that the tradeoff of JH for a full game of MD was a very good outcome for the Zags. Of c, that begs the question, why wasn't Downs integrated more quickly....ah well........time for that during the post NCAA period.

former1dog
03-12-2007, 10:19 AM
MD is the key. Few teams, incl IU, have a good match for an athletic 6-8 sharpshooter who can also rebound. Downs can be off, but he can also go 12 for 15, which will prob produce a win for GU. As the post-arrest season wore on, it was clear that the tradeoff of JH for a full game of MD was a very good outcome for the Zags. Of c, that begs the question, why wasn't Downs integrated more quickly....ah well........time for that during the post NCAA period.

Not to get the thread off track, but I don't think its a big mystery why Downs wasn't playing more/better earlier. He was just working the rust off. I think we would have seen just as much of Downs with or without the JH incident.

Now, other players minutes would have suffered, but that is definitely and completely off topic.

jazzdelmar
03-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Rust? Cmon F1, u can do better than that.....he's a 20 y/o kid who prob plays 5 hrs a day in the off season.....I did, and I was a stiff.....OK, not the wk to talk abt this, F1, so I will defer to a later date. But u hafta admit MD's minutes had to come in some part from H's......

brasszag
03-12-2007, 10:45 AM
There's a difference between practice-speed and game-speed - especially when you're rehabbing an injury - and he was also learning a moderately complex offensive scheme.

You're applying invalid standards to the situation.

Yeah, Josh being out freed some minutes up to be immediately spread around and Micah did get some of them - not disputing that.

But game-shape is a daily grind for these guys, missing it because of injury takes some time to get back up to the level where these guys are.

D Hark 2003
03-12-2007, 11:53 AM
brasszag is exactly right, he had a stress fracture in his foot and probably wasnt doing a whole lot of running during his recovery from that so he didnt have much time to get in shape and to learn the zags offensive and defensive schemes...

Nevtelen
03-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Those first few games he looked pretty bushed after a longer stint on the floor. Plus he was tentative within the offense at first. Now he's looking better and, even if he makes mistakes... well, he's what we've got. I think that has helped him, too, honestly - the knowledge that even if he isn't perfect, he's really got to step it up. Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled thread...

TuckC
03-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Mallon could be liability because of White's athletecism, Kuso will most likely get in foul trouble, but I think GU can still pull it out in a close one.