CroatiaZag
10-31-2008, 10:28 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/11072777

CroatiaZag
10-31-2008, 10:31 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/11070146

cggonzaga
10-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Dec. 20: Connecticut vs. Gonzaga (in Seattle)

North Carolina is the clear favorite to win the national title. However, both the Huskies and Zags are talented enough to spoil those plans.

I like it.

LAZAGFAN11
10-31-2008, 12:46 PM
I feel we're getting too much love in all the polls. The Zags need to earn it. As much as I am not a fan of UCLA, you have to respect John Wooden and what he told his teams about the polls:

From his Book
False Expectations

"I told our players to remember that that poll was just somebody else's opinion, their guess. Sports Illustrated doesn't know what's going to happen in the future, and if you let yourself believe it, you're in trouble because you will have false expectations."

"The so-called experts are basing their opinion on the past, and if you try getting by on that, you're in trouble. Yesterday's gone. It'll never change. What you do today will determine what's going to happen tomorrow, not what you did yesterday; certainly not a poll - somebody else's guess about what's going to happen tomorrow."

So this falls into play about what Bobzag and others and this board have been preaching: toughness. Zags need to bring their own mentality this year and just be relentless in every game. A killer's attitude combined with their talent and athleticism should make for a scary team. But they need to develop that mentality first.

cjm720
10-31-2008, 12:56 PM
Great post, LAZAG! Concur 100%.

cggonzaga
10-31-2008, 01:58 PM
I feel we're getting too much love in all the polls. The Zags need to earn it. As much as I am not a fan of UCLA, you have to respect John Wooden and what he told his teams about the polls:

The same can be said for every team in the top 25. Of course we have to prove it but the polls are nothing but a guess anyway. With guys like Jeremy Pargo I don't think this team will have to worry about buying into the polls. If you can't handle the pressure of high expectations then you shouldn't be playing at this level.

CroatiaZag
10-31-2008, 05:00 PM
As a fan, I like reading these types of articles and getting pumped about the season. I’ll leave it up to the coaches and players to decide if they want to read about and live up to the hype.

Anyway-
“if we could put the top 15 non-BCS schools together we'd have a league that is -- ready for this? -- better than most (if not all) of the BCS leagues.”

Then he puts us at the top of the list….awesome.

Plus, I like the fact that he considers us collectively ‘better’ than BCS conferences in spite of the fact that we don’t have the same resources as a school with a big football program. It makes me think of our team as a tribute to the sport of basketball. That’s a nice feather in our cap. Good article.