PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Radio reports this morning that Mark Few

Couesdeer
10-31-2008, 05:38 AM
Mark Few will entertain and most likely except the Arizona Wildcats coaching position when offered towards the end of the 2008/2009 season. Arizona and Gonzaga are schedule to meet December 14th in Phoenix. Coach Few name has been associated with Arizona for a number of years and surfaced again last year when Coach Olson took a leave of absents.

You can bet that the movers and shakers of Arizona Basketball will be at the December meeting of Arizona and Gonzaga...

ZAGduck
10-31-2008, 05:43 AM
I really hope he does "except" it ;)

KSTATEZAG
10-31-2008, 05:43 AM
ESPN radio reports?
But ESPN.com isn't covering this news?
What about Jamie Dixon?
Nice first post:lmao:

MickMick
10-31-2008, 06:02 AM
People need to understand the difference between news and opinion. It is a huge problem in the political arena. Perhaps that is where many have been conditioned to believe that talk radio is the "truth".

Opinion dwarfs truth. If you are an Oregon fan, then there is a "reporter" that will have you convinced that Few is destined for Eugene as well.

With age comes wisdom. You have to be "conned" a couple times to be able to distinguish a person's agenda. The media is full of agendas. We media consumers have agendas as well. That is why there is a market for such rumors.

GUZagDenver
10-31-2008, 06:13 AM
ESPN Radio?? What show? I have been listening to ESPN Radio for about an hour now and have heard nothing. I seriously doubt that Few would make any comments at this point to leag anyone to believe this. He has one of his best teams ever, and I am sure he is totally focused on that. I am sure rumors like this are what make coaches like Mark Few want to stay at schools like Gonzaga. Can we quit talking about this until it happens??

GoZags
10-31-2008, 06:20 AM
Thanks so much for giving us this great scoop!!!

As you are from Arizona, I'm wondering which of your radio stations made this announcement/proclamation?

I'm very impressed with you guys --- as this is quintessential Mark Few. He's pretty open about these types of things and it is not surprising at all that he'd leak his interest to your radio station. He really likes all this publicity -- speculation. about possible moves from Gonzaga.

So thanks for being the first to report this to us, Arizona guy.

Birddog
10-31-2008, 06:35 AM
1st post and the guy doesn't know the difference between April 1st and October 31st.

Zagdawg
10-31-2008, 06:49 AM
Who wouldn't want to go to Arizona-- don't they have like 9 open scholies for next year-- You can start recruiting the cream of the crop at that point-- and no one will say he won or didn't win with Lutes players.

I can see Few already doing what he enjoys best to relax -- fly fishing on the weekends in the desert... starting to rebuild a program from scratch.... moving the family across the country --it doesn't get much better than that.

If Few took the job -- do you think Romar would lobby to end the series with Arizona-- or just pull UW out of the Pac?

I may have a hint of sarcasm built into my post-- just in case you miss it.

gozagswoohoo
10-31-2008, 07:22 AM
If you guys don't mind, I'm not going to give this d-bag a special woohoo greeting.

ZagManFan
10-31-2008, 07:29 AM
All good with me WooHoo.:D

sittingon50
10-31-2008, 07:35 AM
I'm pretty sure that John McCain is going to be available, 'deer. Wouldn't a "native son" be the front-runner?

HOOTER
10-31-2008, 07:39 AM
Who said this on ESPN radio and what was their source? Give us some specifics, unless of course your just trying to create controversy, which I have a hunch is your intention. Most of us here know Few better than that, so If your going to bring this sort of bold assertion you'd better have something to back it up.

HOOTER
10-31-2008, 07:41 AM
I'm pretty sure that John McCain is going to be available, 'deer. Wouldn't a "native son" be the front-runner?

They do seem to be partial to old folks for their head coaches. :p

TheZagPhish
10-31-2008, 07:42 AM

There's more truth there than you may realize, 50. I just heard radio host Bob Grant say that it looks more and more like McCain is angling for the position. Apparently campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds would not dismiss the suggestion out of hand leading some observers to conclude that McCain has his eye on the post.

ZagManFan
10-31-2008, 07:56 AM
Hey, as long as Palin is the Asst., I may watch more UA games. :lmao:

Couesdeer
10-31-2008, 07:59 AM
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/14/1347686/Going%20To%20Arizona.png

MickMick
10-31-2008, 08:01 AM
True colors revealed. What will these ### stirring kids think of next?

Happy halloween :)

former1dog
10-31-2008, 08:01 AM
Dude, don't be a troll. :mad:

ZagManFan
10-31-2008, 08:13 AM
Come'on now... Was just having a little fun with you northern people. Look, Arizona is out looking for a "NEW OUTSTANDING COACH" and there is not a better coach then Coach Few and a better opportunity for Coach Few to move into one of the elite programs with outstanding fan support. Arizona has $$$ and you can bet Coach Few will be near the top of Arizona's List...

Most if not all of you know Coach Few days are numbered at Zaga and that the day would come that he would leave. Rumors have been flying for years that Coach Few was waiting for the Arizona job to open and itís his to take once the offer is placed on the table...

UA is more elite than GU? Not right now it's not.

Couesdeer
10-31-2008, 08:14 AM
Come'on now... Was just having a little fun with you northern people. Look, Arizona is out looking for a "NEW OUTSTANDING COACH" and there is not a better coach then Coach Few and a better opportunity for Coach Few to move into one of the elite programs with outstanding fan support. Arizona has $$$ and you can bet Coach Few will be near the top of Arizona's List...

Most if not all of you know Coach Few days are numbered at Zaga and that the day would come that he would leave. Rumors have been flying for years that Coach Few was waiting for the Arizona job to open and itís his to take once the offer is placed on the table...

Couesdeer
10-31-2008, 08:18 AM
UA is more elite than GU? Not right now it's not.

Now let's not go overboard buddy... with your comment... You need to enjoy this year because you know Few will not be returning... Zaga was his stepping stone and he had a great ride but the ride will continue in the desert...

ZagManFan
10-31-2008, 08:24 AM
You might want to start doing some of this......

PRAY

cggonzaga
10-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Dude, don't be a troll.

Come on people. Everyone gets upset about a troll yet he's received 21 responses in less than a half hour. Remember when you were a kid and you told your parents so and so was bugging you, what did they tell you? Just ignore them! Some of you crack me up how you get all offended over this kind of fodder.

sittingon50
10-31-2008, 08:32 AM
FWIW, I do remember Few mentioning what a home court advantage UA had (after the Zags lost a close one down there after Casey picked up phantom fouls #4 & #5). His win Pct. would be real good going 8 on 5 all the time.

GoZags
10-31-2008, 08:46 AM
FWIW, I do remember Few mentioning what a home court advantage UA had (after the Zags lost a close one down there after Casey picked up phantom fouls #4 & #5). His win Pct. would be real good going 8 on 5 all the time.

TSN: What's your favorite movie of all-time?
MF: I'd say Forrest Gump.
TSN: Favorite book?
MF: Tuesdays with Morrie.
TSN: What's in your CD player?
MF: Let's see. I just got back from a fishing trip. I had Bob Marley in there. And I had Brooks & Dunn in the other one.
TSN: If your life depended on winning one game, who'd be the coach?
MF: Ray Giacoletti at Eastern Washington University.
TSN: Of course.
MF: He's good. Really good.
TSN: Where's the toughest place you've ever had to play?
MF: Arizona. We got it stuck to us pretty good last year. Not by the 'Cats.
Each week, Jeff goes "One-on-One" with college personalities. E-mail him at jdalessio@sportingnews.com.

ToreroStudent
10-31-2008, 08:46 AM
I can't disagree that it sounds right. Arizona is one of those dream jobs that very sparingly can be turned down by mid-major coaches. Seven 5-star recruits, not including Jennings, since the year 2002 is a tribute to the athletes that can be attained by Arizona. I'm not a Gonzaga hater, but I am a realist. That type of recruit level ceiling is what fuels national championships (plural) and would be very difficult for any coach to turn down.

In my opinion Few's days are probably limited in Gonzaga if he is offered the Arizona position, a position that is only second to UCLA in a very prestegious athletic conference.

former1dog
10-31-2008, 08:54 AM
In my opinion Few's days are probably limited in Gonzaga if he is offered the Arizona position, a position that is only second to UCLA in a very prestegious athletic conference.

I agree that Arizona is/was a prestigious position, but so was Indiana.

Few, I think, would honestly have to weigh his options and make a tough choice. Ultimately, though, I think the fact that he has established a very comfortable life for himself in Spokane where he wants for nothing in his personal or professional life is a huge factor. Not to mention that Spokane allows him the opportunity to pursue his hobbies outside of work, not something so readily available in Tucson.

To add to the minus column for the UA job is that now its a rebuilding process rather than a take over a great program process.

If I'm Few, given the factors listed, I'd take a pass. But, ya never know.

Schmitty
10-31-2008, 08:56 AM
I can't disagree that it sounds right. Arizona is one of those dream jobs that very sparingly can be turned down by mid-major coaches. Seven 5-star recruits, not including Jennings, since the year 2002 is a tribute to the athletes that can be attained by Arizona. I'm not a Gonzaga hater, but I am a realist. That type of recruit level ceiling is what fuels national championships (plural) and would be very difficult for any coach to turn down.

The reality is this, Mark Few would leave GU for one job and one job only (Oregon). Now, Bill Grier on the other hand... I wouldnt call him a lock to stay at USD.

Couesdeer
10-31-2008, 08:57 AM
And Mark Few would have this arena at his disposal with each basketball season as Arizona's head coach!!! Not to mention a new state of the art weight room and offices...

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/14/1347686/2265833005_732f3cd762.jpg

TheZagPhish
10-31-2008, 08:58 AM
The fly fishing is just not as good in AZ.

ToreroStudent
10-31-2008, 09:02 AM
I agree that Arizona is/was a prestigious position, but so was Indiana.

I agree that Indiana is of the same caliber as an Arizona, but it is also in a very different region. Arizona offers a top position on a coast that Few has been a part of for a very long time. Few knows the ins and outs of west coast recruiting, and a position like Arizona would allow him to continue to draw on those resources while also being capable of higher level recruits.

I agree that Few's position is very comfortable and, in my opinion, that is the only reason he would stay. Few, no matter how many "bad" (i don't even know if you guys can have a bad season anymore, lets say below expectations) seasons he has, he will always have a job at Gonzaga. It will be interesting to see, but I definately think that this position shouldn't be taken lightly by Gonzaga fans.

ToreroStudent
10-31-2008, 09:09 AM
The reality is this, Mark Few would leave GU for one job and one job only (Oregon). Now, Bill Grier on the other hand... I wouldnt call him a lock to stay at USD.

I definately agree here. Another successful season and I think that we can kiss Grier goodbye. He does have a solid class coming in though which helps. I still don't think that he'll stay.

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-31-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm sooooo lookin' forward to putting a beat down on the Wildcats this year! Enjoy the NIT, Couesdeer!

cggonzaga
10-31-2008, 09:13 AM
Who in their right mind would ever want to leave beautiful San Diego? If he could keep up the success I could see him staying there a very long time.

malmer7
10-31-2008, 09:16 AM
If Few took the job -- do you think Romar would lobby to end the series with Arizona-- or just pull UW out of the Pac?

I may have a hint of sarcasm built into my post-- just in case you miss it.

This is definitely the best response I've seen so far - I may be somewhat biased because of my hatred for the Huskies, but I was rolling on the ground after seeing this post because Romar ending the GU series has been a topic of dinner conversation throughout my entire family ever since he pulled that crap, good post!

Couesdeer
10-31-2008, 09:17 AM
The fly fishing is just not as good in AZ.

Let's see, Northern Arizona is much like northern Washington... The air is clean and the winter months are warm. Today it will be in the 90's in Tucson. With less than 10 inches of rainfall per year and over 300 days of sunshine per year. How can you turn down this view... If hunting is his calling Arizona support more different species of animals then any other state. Did I mention GOLF... With all the sunshine and more golf course in Tucson than in the entire state of Washington...

Mark, Arizona Will Be Calling, Just Make Sure Your Near The Phone As There Will Be A Line Forming...

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/14/1347686/ElConquistador.jpg

MickMick
10-31-2008, 09:18 AM
Sorry, I just can't buy into Oregon. UA maybe....but not Oregon.

former1dog
10-31-2008, 09:20 AM
Let's see, Northern Arizona is much like northern Washington... The air is clean and the winter months are warm.

You know that Tucson is in Southern Arizona, don't you?

And, for the record, nothing about the climate or topography of Arizona is even remotely close to that of Washington.

MickMick
10-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Let's see, Northern Arizona is much like northern Washington... The air is clean and the winter months are warm. Today it will be in the 90's in Tucson. With less than 10 inches of rainfall per year and over 300 days of sunshine per year. How can you turn down this view... If hunting is his calling Arizona support more different species of animals then any other state. Did I mention GOLF... With all the sunshine and more golf course in Tucson than in the entire state of Washington...

Mark, Arizona Will Be Calling, Just Make Sure Your Near The Phone As There Will Be A Line Forming...

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/14/1347686/ElConquistador.jpg

A line forming? Few will wait in line?

Comedy Central. UA will have to get on it's knees for Few. Yep...I think you got this backwards.

There is a line for Few.

ToreroStudent
10-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Who in their right mind would ever want to leave beautiful San Diego? If he could keep up the success I could see him staying there a very long time.

I sure hope you're right. I know that I don't ever want to leave here. :)

malmer7
10-31-2008, 09:23 AM
Now for my own thoughts -

As a huge zag fan would I be sad to see Few go? Yes
Does he have every right to go and make good on a serious payday? Definitely
I'd honestly be happy for the guy if he made the decision and that's what he really believed was the right thing to do... I tend to believe that Gonzaga Basketball is bigger than one person and although it'd never be the same, a new era wouldn't be the worst thing in the world and we would rebound (oh wait, did I say rebound, I forgot that's our weak-spot).

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-31-2008, 09:24 AM
A line forming? Few will wait in line?

Comedy Central. UA will have to get on it's knees for Few. Yep...I think you got this backwards.

There is a line for Few.

Well said!

TheZagPhish
10-31-2008, 09:25 AM
Let's see, Northern Arizona is much like northern Washington... The air is clean and the winter months are warm.

Um, you do know that northern Washington sits on the Canadian border, right?

And as for the clean air, I guess we have different definitions. A near permanent air inversion over AZ is a core component of that brown layer of pollution squatting over the state. I spend a week there every year over Christmas and as much as I like seeing old people in down coats & earmuffs in 60 degree weather, I'm always happy to fly North to home.

(BTW, I really do like Arizona. I appreciate your keeping thick skin this morning. :) )

Couesdeer
10-31-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm sooooo lookin' forward to putting a beat down on the Wildcats this year! Enjoy the NIT, Couesdeer!

This very well may happen, but Mark Few will be in Arizona colors for the 2009/2010 season whether you want to believe it or not. Zaga will not be able to offer the $$$ to stop him from reaching his goals, "NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP" something Zaga will not obtain...

MickMick
10-31-2008, 09:31 AM
This very well may happen, but Mark Few will be in Arizona colors for the 2009/2010 season whether you want to believe it or not. Zaga will not be able to offer the $$$ to stop him from reaching his goals, "NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP" something Zaga will not obtain...

The quality of drugs in Arizona appear to be outstanding as well.

former1dog
10-31-2008, 09:33 AM
The quality of drugs in Arizona appear to be outstanding as well.

:lmao: I'm assumming you mean halucinogenic drugs.

WCC Fan
10-31-2008, 09:39 AM
:lmao: I'm assumming you mean halucinogenic drugs.

Well, I can think of one Zag who might be able to answer that question...

Mr Vulture
10-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Every great run has to come to an end....the soap opera in Tucson is just the culmination of the erosion of the Arizona program. There is nothing better about the Arizona job than the Gonzaga job. In fact, the Gonzaga job is far superior than Arizona at this point.

In reality, Arizona would be about the 5th and possibly 6th best program in the Pac10. UCLA, USC, Oregon, WSU, and probably Arizona State are better run and much healthier. There is no denying the tradition of Arizona but it has been in decline since about 2005! Last year they were 5th in the conference, this year they will be about the same, next year they will be near the bottom or the bottom.

Every recruit is leaving, which creates a very negative perception, like it or not. Arizona is not a top program anymore...can they get there again? Sure they can! However, I don't see it happening with Mark Few. He declined interest in Indiana, UCLA, and Kentucky off the top of my head...all with much more tradition that Arizona.....frankly, if he were to leave, I would be shocked. The only program I can see him leaving for is Oregon, because that is where he is from....nowhere else.

I don't think money is everything....look where money got guys like Monson at Minnesota and Mike Price at Alabama. The thing is that you don't have to be the highest paid in dollars...you need to be the highest paid in lifestyle. Coach is being paid extremely well, has a great home, and let's face it....the cost of living in Spokane is 1/3 the cost of living in SoCal and Arizona...that is a fact....additionally, there is no income tax which plays a part as well...all leads to the fact that you can be happy with what you have...it's not about money and prestige.

xjzico
10-31-2008, 09:57 AM
Sorry, I just can't buy into Oregon. UA maybe....but not Oregon.

It would seem a lot would have to change at Oregon for Few to take that job.

UA was one of the jobs I think Few would have to consider, but the situation of the program at UA and the timing would have to be a serious concern.

LongIslandZagFan
10-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Now let's not go overboard buddy... with your comment... You need to enjoy this year because you know Few will not be returning... Zaga was his stepping stone and he had a great ride but the ride will continue in the desert...

You just had 3 verbals decommit, you have one player leaving. You have 9, I repeat 9, schollies open next year. Right now GU is going to be more elite that U of A for the next few years. You program just got a baseball bat to the kneecaps and then got kicked in the ribs a bunch of times while it was down.

You really don't have any understanding about Few if you think that money is the only driver. If Ernie Kent gets ousted, then I might be slightly more nervous.

LongIslandZagFan
10-31-2008, 10:13 AM
"NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP" something Zaga will not obtain...

It is also something Zona isn't going to be obtaining any time soon.

RenoZag
10-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Don't ya just love when the new trolls come out of the woodwork ? Just like the return of swallows to Capistrano, the butterflies to Pacific Grove, and the Huskies to the NIT. . .