• Feb 2007

Who the heck is USC Upstate?

And why are we playing them in March?!?

• thespywhozaggedme
    Banned
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by EngineerZag View Post
    And why are we playing them in March?!?

A branch of USC, just as UCLA is a branch of Cal. It's also about 25 minutes from my house.

Explore your passions. Find your path. Technology. Science. Arts. Education. We’ve got it all. With more than 50 majors, programs, and pre-professional programs to choose from, you can chart a […]

Comment

• UberZagFan
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
      A branch of USC, just as UCLA is a branch of Cal. It's also about 25 minutes from my house.

http://www.uscupstate.edu/
      Is this missing the sarcasm tags?
      If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
        Banned
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by UberZagFan View Post
        Is this missing the sarcasm tags?

Hmm? I don't get it?

Comment

• GoZags
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

This USC isn't nicknamed the Gamecocks (who were the first program that went full bore after Fewie nearly a decade ago).
          sigpic
          “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
          ——-
          List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
          Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• BobZag
            Dark Lord of the Zag
            • Jan 2007

USC has a branch campus in Eureka, in upstate Cal. It's an upstart program.
            The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• 229SintoZag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by EngineerZag View Post
              And why are we playing them at all?!?

Fixed.

Comment

• CDC84
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

BZ wishes they were located in Eureka

USC Upstate is a member of the Atlantic Sun Conference. They finished with a better RPI than LMU last season.

Gonzaga finishes the WCC regular season on the road, and this season's senior night figures to be one of the more emotional ones in recent years. I'm guessing the schedulers wanted an easy game for senior night that truly marked the end of the regular season. It also gives GU a chance to play a game in between the end of regular season and the WCC tournament. A seven day layoff between games is a bit too much (presuming that GU gets one of the top 2 WCC tourney seeds).

I wish Gonzaga could've gotten MSU-Billings (a D2 school - doesn't count against the RPI) for that final game, but it didn't work out that way.

Comment

• Kiddwell
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Isn't South Carolina Upstate an oxymoron? (Kiddwell could've swore that South Carolina was the "down" state...)

:]
                  Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Kiddwell View Post
                    Isn't South Carolina Upstate an oxymoron? (Kiddwell could've swore that South Carolina was the "down" state...)

:]
                    Nope, this part of the state, the northwest corner is referred to as "The Upstate", much more temperate climate, i.e less humid then the "Low Country", i.e Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, etc. My wife and I moved here a year and a half ago from Burbank, Ca and absolutely love it. Greenville is a growing and dynamic little city of 500k (metro) and the area is absolutely beautiful, at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns, 3 hours from the beach, 2 1/2 hours north of Atlanta and 1 1/2 hours south of Charlotte.

As for my comment that USCU is a branch of USC, I was referring to the Universitry of South Carolina @ Columbia; like Cal Berkley is the "original" University of California, but there are branches all over the state, i.e UCLA, UCI, UCSD.

Up until a few years ago it was called USC Spartanburg, but changed the name as to be more regional and not specific to one city. They apparently have a pretty good guard named Eddie Payne, but I don't know anything else about them. Sure wish the game was here though.

Comment

Working...
                    X