PDA

View Full Version : Predict starting line-ups, and 6 mo from now see who got it right?

ZagsGoZags
10-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Who will Few put on the floor Sat afternoon for starting five?
And who will Few put on the floor for the first game of the Big Dance in the Spring?

I'll say Saturday:
Pargo, Josh, Daye, Bouldin, Gray

for the Spring:
Pargo, Josh, Daye, Micah, Gray

cjm720
10-29-2008, 09:50 AM
I'd agree with your assesment, ZagsGoZags, with one exception. If we face a big team (and if we're so lucky) in the NCAA tourney, I could see Sacre in the line-up (with Micah off the bench). Few has some good, yet difficult decisions with PT between Bouldin, Downs, Gray and Daye. I can't wait for the season to start!!! GO ZAGS!!!!

Mr Vulture
10-29-2008, 09:51 AM
PG - Pargo
SG - Gray
Wing - Bouldin
4 Spot - Daye
5 Spot - Heytvelt

I will stick with the same lineup throughout the season because I think it is the best one we have. Micah will play starter minutes rotating through the wing and 4 spots. Goodson will give Pargo some much deserved rest and play probably 15 minutes a game or so. Foster and Brown will see some time depending on the game situations but probably not more than about 10 minutes each. Sacre will get time when he returns, I would say 15-20 minutes a game...again, depending on the circumstances.

Gibbs and Poling should redshirt in my opinion and be ready should a major injury happen to one of the main rotation guys....that's my 2 cents worth.

pbriz
10-29-2008, 10:10 AM
PG - Pargo
SG - Gray
Wing - Bouldin
4 Spot - Daye
5 Spot - Heytvelt

I will stick with the same lineup throughout the season because I think it is the best one we have. Micah will play starter minutes rotating through the wing and 4 spots. Goodson will give Pargo some much deserved rest and play probably 15 minutes a game or so. Foster and Brown will see some time depending on the game situations but probably not more than about 10 minutes each. Sacre will get time when he returns, I would say 15-20 minutes a game...again, depending on the circumstances.

Gibbs and Poling should redshirt in my opinion and be ready should a major injury happen to one of the main rotation guys....that's my 2 cents worth.

My thoughts exactly. Except Micah may start in the first game because Austin is still coming back from injury.

bartruff1
10-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Bouldin will always start every game he plays for Gonzaga absolutely positively withhout a doubt....unless he is sick, injured or Few wants to rest him..some have forgotten that he was selected as one of the very best under 19 playes in the country along with the likes of Curry and Beasley and he just gets better and better.....

dim4sum
10-29-2008, 10:26 AM
I hope Few doesn't feel a commitment to start people just because they started last year. My feeling is that Bouldin will be on a shorter leash. Last year he came up small in some big games. The bench is deep enough to rush in a Micah or an Ira if Bouldin starts to whither. Or to pull Pargo for Meech everytime the former plows into traffic ill-advisedly.
Frankly, I'd be inclined not to redshirt Poling, given Josh's penchant for injuries, Sacre's recovery question marks and a certain cloud over Daye's condition given the ACL -that- wasn't scare.
I think the biggest enigma going into this season is Foster's progress.
He can bang, he can score and he can run, but does he want it enough?
My personal wish is that this team runs more and presses more. Foster is not dead wood so this may happen.
Last year's O was boring and soporific, especially the half-court game.
It seemed like that after five or six passes around the perimeter, the players seemed to have forgotten that points win games. I'm glad that Gray finally,
maybe belatedly, got the green light to put in up whenever.

ZagnetitForce
10-29-2008, 10:47 AM
I'd like to see Will Foster start. Get him some good minutes now. My guess is that Daye will not start or play a lot of minutes, assuming he is still recovering and conditioning is not quite there.

Saturday: Will, Josh, Matt, Gray and Pargo.

NCAA: Josh, Austin, Micah, Gray, Pargo.

KSTATEZAG
10-29-2008, 11:03 AM
I hope Few doesn't feel a commitment to start people just because they started last year. My feeling is that Bouldin will be on a shorter leash. Last year he came up small in some big games. The bench is deep enough to rush in a Micah or an Ira if Bouldin starts to whither. Or to pull Pargo for Meech everytime the former plows into traffic ill-advisedly.
Frankly, I'd be inclined not to redshirt Poling, given Josh's penchant for injuries, Sacre's recovery question marks and a certain cloud over Daye's condition given the ACL -that- wasn't scare.
I think the biggest enigma going into this season is Foster's progress.
He can bang, he can score and he can run, but does he want it enough?
My personal wish is that this team runs more and presses more. Foster is not dead wood so this may happen.
Last year's O was boring and soporific, especially the half-court game.
It seemed like that after five or six passes around the perimeter, the players seemed to have forgotten that points win games. I'm glad that Gray finally,
maybe belatedly, got the green light to put in up whenever.

Good summary. I agree, especially with Poling not 'shirting.

cggonzaga
10-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Couldn't agree with your assessment more Mr. V except I could see Brown getting between 15-20mpg. I think you are spot on though.

Just because you say you're going to redshirt him doesn't mean he has to stay redshirted. If someone goes down and we need him to play he can still play. He'd just lose the redshirt at that point.

Also, I don't get the negativity towards Bouldin. I personally believe he'll be one of our top players this year. He may not be super explosive but he just does everything right. I would love to have someone of Downs abilities come off the bench all year. We are so loaded!

jim77
10-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Agreed Z-force.

I would love to see BIG WILL get good minutes Saturday.

How hard would it be to score tickets for Saturday's game???? Scalpers?

TacomaZAG
10-29-2008, 12:20 PM
here you go:

If Coach sticks with the 3-guard lineup, we are going nowhere in the dance again this year.

I know that Coach has stuck with Matt no matter what, but I agree with earlier posts about him hopefully being on a much shorter leash this year, especially with Gray due for a huge breakout year and Micah also tearing it up. We have an over-abundance of talent at the 3, with Matt being the least effective of the three (Matt, Austin, Micah).

Matt is out of position at the 3, as are Austin at the 4 and Josh at the 5. The less time the three guards are on the floor at the same time the better off we are. Now, that being said, we really don't have a huge choice until Rob comes back, unless Wil can play some significant minutes, and Rob's return at all this year is not guaranteed. So, Wil needs some serious minutes early this year to see if he can contribute, and I'm not talking about 2-3 minutes in a mop up role.

Saturday Starters:

Pargo
Gray
Daye
Heytvelt
Foster

Big Dance Starters:

Same except Sacre instead of Foster if Rob is available.

The keys for a deep run are Rob's healing and whether or not Wil can contribute significant minutes (15-20 per game). If both of these things happen, the sky's the limit, if neither happen we are most likely one and done, again.

Time will tell, I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Go ZAGS

DenDiegoZag
10-29-2008, 12:44 PM
Sat

Pargo
Gray
Bouldin
Daye
Josh

NCAA

Pargo
Gray
Daye
Josh
Sacre

hockeyzag
10-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Saturday

Heytvelt
*IRA!
*Micah
Gray
Pargo

*Because they're Seniors

NCAA

I'm hoping for...

Sacre
Heytvelt
Daye
Gray
Pargo

But that's if Sacre develops in the way Few wants him to, which at this point is iffy based on what we heard yesterday from the practice report: “Will and Rob were having a pretty good, even battle (before Sacre’s injury),” Few said.
That wasn't what I was hoping to hear after Sacre's summer development.

NCAA

More likely...

Heytvelt
Daye
Downs
Gray
Pargo

cggonzaga
10-29-2008, 01:48 PM
I'd be highly surprised if Micah started this year. He's too valuable to not come off the bench because he can play the 2-4 positions. Micah is a great player don't get me wrong but he won't unseat Steven or Matt. Again, I'm just happy that we have the problem of who will start. It tells us how much depth we have.

zagfan08
10-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Austin is still rusty coming back from his knee injury, it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't start until the Old Spice tournament.

Also, Poling is impressing the coaches in practice. He is doing the little things right like hustling every play and setting screens. He may not redshirt this year.

Gray is the only guy on the team with a complete green light.

The team's doing a lot of rebounding drills, that's their number one focus as of now.

My guess at a starting 5:

Pargo
Gray
Bouldin
Downs
Heytvelt

Daye probably takes Downs' spot come Thanksgiving.

jpwils
10-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Initial lineup:

Heytvelt
Gray
Bouldin
Pargo
Downs

After Daye has a month of healing/ progressively more range of motion/ production- and if he is healthy:

Daye will start fulltime and Bouldin or Downs will come off bench, depending on who is bringing most to the particular party. Sacre may see a spot start
on occasion if he is very healthy or if Heytvelt is hurt or not bringing it.
Sacre would start at center and Heytvelt could create mismatches at PF.

jim77
10-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Sounds like Poling is doing well. What a huge help he'd be...we really need another to go with Josh and Will. Get well soon ROB!

zag47
10-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Bouldin also came up big in some very big games last year. I think he is the kid on the team that will throttle the flow from the doubters this year. He will be there from the first game to the last, because he should be. PERIOD!

Reborn
10-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Pargo, Josh, Daye, Matt, Steven

They start all year long. Few is very predictable and very faithful to his troops. Its one thing I love about him. He's consistent. He has created a great team with great team chemistry, and he will not disrupt it. The guys that will start deserve to start. They have all paid their dues, and as a matter of fact, they are the best TEAM we can put on the floor. They even may NOT be the 5 best players, but it's not always about that. It's a team game. Also two of the guys who will start are from Washington.

The competiveness between Matt and Micah, I"m sure, has been fierce. Both of them will be much better this year because of it. Some of you have applauded Coach K's "I play the best 5 guys I can get on the floor" approach to the game. Few's approach is not that way, and I actually like Few's approach better. If Few could recruit the guys that Coach K can, I say Few does a better job at GU than Coach K does at Duke. Coach K is a great coach, but between you and me I don't like him and I wouldn't want my son playing for him....I'm a Mark Few man all the way.

MickMick
10-29-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm with Vulture.

Bouldin is a better ball handler than Downs. I will agree with many that Bouldin is out of position at the wing though. Gray is just too good at the two spot for Matt to start there.

Few will play Matt.

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Season opening lineup same as Road to the Final Four lineup:
Pargo
Gray
Downs
Daye
Heytvelt

If Daye is healthy enough to practice, which as far as I know he is, then he starts for sake of giving him confidence and establishing team's identity. As much as I like JH @ the 4 rather than 5 spot I do not see Zags going that route to start a game as long as we have so much depth at the Wing/2 spot.

S.U. Chieftain
10-29-2008, 07:16 PM
First Game of Season:
Pargo
Bouldin
Gray
Downs
Heytvelt

First Game of POSTseason:
Pargo
Bouldin
Gray
Daye (doesn't start in Nov. due to recovering from injury)
Foster (Heytvelt in-season injury keeps him from starting in March)

hope that last prediction doesn't happen

JPtheBeasta
10-29-2008, 08:24 PM
I say we sneak Ammo, with his new haircut, into the lineup and see if anyone catches on.

krozman
10-29-2008, 08:31 PM
I say we sneak Ammo, with his new haircut, into the lineup and see if anyone catches on.

Unfortunately his facial hair 3x more than his college days. I.e. you can see it now.

Zag79
10-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Bouldin is a better ball handler than Downs.

i think your the first and last person that will ever type that. :lmao:

MickMick
10-30-2008, 04:17 AM

My personal observation. I call it how I see it regardless of what others claim to be true. The smiley icon did little to persuade me otherwise.

cjm720
10-30-2008, 06:34 AM

No knock on Downs, but Bouldin most certainly is a better ball handler than Micah. I think both will suprise this year. GO ZAGS

omahazag
10-30-2008, 06:40 AM
PG - Pargo
SG - Gray
Wing - Bouldin
4 Spot - Daye
5 Spot - Heytvelt

I also agree with Vulture's prediction....While I believe Downs should start, he will get starter type minutes coming off the bench by rotating between Bouldin and Gray.

Zagatron
10-30-2008, 07:04 AM
Bouldin is definitely a better ball handler than Downs. Downs is a terrific shooter and very athletic in the wing spot but Bouldin brings so much more to the game. Bouldin was 1st Team All-WCC this this past year and a pre-season selection for 1st Team this year. There is no way he doesn't start the entire season.

Pargo
Bouldin
Gray
Daye
Heytvelt

Whole season with maybe a few changes from game to game but that is will be seen often.

JPtheBeasta
10-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Just to add fuel to the fire, who is the better 6th man off the bench? I think of Micah as a more traditional 6th man type who can provide that "instant offense" people talk about and can change things up on defense (if he's guarding a 2). He's also used to coming off the bench and would fill that role better than Matt, IMO. He can be the Zags' much more likable Manu Ginobli :)