PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for the game on Thursday.

TexasZagFan
03-12-2007, 06:59 AM
For the past two years, I've watched our NCAA games at the local Buffalo Wild Wings (just a few minutes from my house), except for the Texas Tech game, which I viewed at home.

Does the bad karma from the end of the UCLA game dictate that I select another venue? After the Tech game, I told my wife I would absolutely not watch Zag NCAA tournament games at home.

Or was it my choice of libation (Guinness on tap)?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

DenDiegoZag
03-12-2007, 07:05 AM
I would recommend a change in Wardrobe...It seems to be much more likely that the demons of that terrible day 03/23/2006 are more clearly exorcised by refusing to wear said articles of clothing ever during the month of March. I would say that most, if-not-all fans need the camaraderie and support of a consistent viewing location during the NCAA tournament...I would stick it out...Oh, and on another note...you might save the Guinness for Saturday, for obvious reasons...GO ZAGS!!!

gonzagulous
03-12-2007, 07:21 AM
Hmm, you have a serious dilemma on your hands. I have a couple questions for you. Were you doing anything different in the last 2 minutes of the UCLA game than you were the rest of the game? Had you been eating wings the whole game and then stopped? Did you stop drinking your Guinness? Did you take a bathroom break? Did you take your hat off?

You were obviously doing something right for the majority of the game when we were winning. I don't think the venue was the problem.... but there's only one way to make sure. I think you're going to have to buy a plane ticket to Spokane and watch the game at Jack & Dan's :D

TexasZagFan
03-12-2007, 07:36 AM
I would recommend a change in Wardrobe...It seems to be much more likely that the demons of that terrible day 03/23/2006 are more clearly exorcised by refusing to wear said articles of clothing ever during the month of March. I would say that most, if-not-all fans need the camaraderie and support of a consistent viewing location during the NCAA tournament...I would stick it out...Oh, and on another note...you might save the Guinness for Saturday, for obvious reasons...GO ZAGS!!!

That's a given. Last year, I was wearing my "Can't Stop the Stache" shirt. Will channel my thoughts to the brew that has brought on the most positive vibes during my past. May have to stick with Guinness, as Konigsbacher is nowhere to be found, likewise for Bitburger (although it can be purchased in several stores). Heineken and Lowenbrau are ok in a pinch, if they're on tap.

If there are any board members living in the DFW Metroplex, send me a message. No doubt that Indiana has a larger population of alumni in this neck of the woods. I'm used to standing my ground, alone against the many, just like the brave souls at the Alamo (I know, that's a bit over the top!). My son will never forget sitting in the middle of the Wyoming section in the Pit a few years back. He was convinced I was going to get my a$$ kicked by a 6'4'', 220 lb., Wyoming boy, after I asked him to cool it with the f-bombs. He challenged me to "settle our differences outside", to which I responded "adults don't do that". He probably would've kicked my a$$, but I haven't completely forgotten the self-defense skills I learned while in the military.

Agree 100% on the magical nature of Guinness on 3/17!

TexasZagFan
03-12-2007, 07:46 AM
Hmm, you have a serious dilemma on your hands. I have a couple questions for you. Were you doing anything different in the last 2 minutes of the UCLA game than you were the rest of the game? Had you been eating wings the whole game and then stopped? Did you stop drinking your Guinness? Did you take a bathroom break? Did you take your hat off?

You were obviously doing something right for the majority of the game when we were winning. I don't think the venue was the problem.... but there's only one way to make sure. I think you're going to have to buy a plane ticket to Spokane and watch the game at Jack & Dan's :D

:lmao:

I'm not worthy to step on such hallowed ground. Is the Bulldog Tavern still in existence? Pitchers of Lucky Beer and free popcorn were a staple of my diet my senior year.

As to your other questions, I did not change my routine one iota during that game.

However, my daughter thought she'd be cute and call me 30 seconds after the game ended. Little does she know she's been written out of the will. ;)

She'll be back in after Memphis destroys UNT. I'll return the favor during the game when Memphis goes on a run.

After 18 years in the desert, UNT is just happy to be there, and they don't have the ball handlers to cope with the Memphis pressure.

Birddog
03-12-2007, 08:07 AM
Despite the proximity, I think Buffalo Wild Wings is a weak choice, esp for a mature adult like yourself. I did watch the Virginia game in one a few years back ( it was my only mid day option), and it was really not a good place despite the win. There were bad vibes all around but that might have had something to do with the Sooners losing. Find a locally owned or regional sports bar that has some local micro/ handcrafted brews. I find it easier to get a crowd of regulars on my (ZAG) side than the type of folks who go to BWW, they tend to be BCS types. Although we lost the game against Arizona, I was the solo Zag in a medium sized local joint, and by the game's end I had everybody cheering on the Zags. I remember vividly the ten seconds or so of total silence that fell accross the room when the game ended. Then everybody took a breath and offered condolences.

Birddog

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
03-12-2007, 08:09 AM
It's the quantity....if you only have enough on hand to get you through the end of the first day, the basketball gods will frown on you, obviously you only planned on watching one game... my wayward son.

For a fan with great faith will always buy enough of his good luck brew to last for six game days! very important, I cannot stress this enough.

I know the up front costs can be prohibitive at times based on the sheer volume of libation some of us are capable of imbibing; however, an investment in Gonzaga - is an investment in your future....never forget.

Ps, if the Zags do ever....um....you know....not win six games, having that much barley pop on hand can be a nice thing.

TexasZagFan
03-12-2007, 08:17 AM
I need to be verrrrrryyyyyyyyy careful about my choice of beverage...my wife informed me last week that three new nieces/nephews will be welcomed into our family this year.

My in-laws have been very fortunate: my wife is one of 10 kids, and I have 16 nieces and nephews on her side.

They're being raised right, though: for Christmas, my niece (and goddaughter) gave me an autographed copy of "Glory Road"!

I know this adds another variable into the equation, and I haven't done any advanced math in many moons.

Rubbadub
03-12-2007, 08:21 AM
The only thing you did that changed the game in any way, is the fact that you didnt go to it to root for your zags! :)

TexasZagFan
03-12-2007, 08:27 AM
Find a locally owned or regional sports bar that has some local micro/ handcrafted brews.

Great idea! There's a Big Buck Brewery & Steakhouse about 5 minutes from where I work (http://www.bigbuck.com/). I'll do a bit of recon at lunch tomorrow. I've been there before, but it's been a few years, and I want to make sure there are plenty of TVs.

How are things up north? Any wailing/gnashing of teeth over OSU?

Birddog
03-12-2007, 09:28 AM
How are things up north? Any wailing/gnashing of teeth over OSU?

Sadness is in the air. This was no surprise. OSU made things interesting in the tournament though, so there was a lotta woulda, coulda, shoulda goin' on. Their big problem was depth, they have only 8 guys on schollie, and they lost the up and coming frosh Muonelo for a good portion of the year.

Birddog