PDA

View Full Version : Zags Fans Winthrop Needs You

wupike
03-12-2007, 06:43 AM
alot of us are going to have a tough time getting out there... Hope you guys pull for WU on Friday, I know I will be pulling for the Zags to take down IU.

23dpg
03-12-2007, 06:52 AM
We have a couple of threads already showing support.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=1430

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=1442

You will be well represented I think.

MedZag
03-12-2007, 09:02 AM
Do you eagles have a main discussion board? I'd like to stop by and offer some support!

Ole Roy
03-12-2007, 09:09 AM
winthropfans.com

former1dog
03-12-2007, 09:22 AM
This is going agains the grain, especially since BobZag and CDC are such Winthrop fans, but I'm a little torn.

1 - Winthrop is the kind of team I normally root for in the tourney, underdog, great team from a non major conference, very, very good but not recognized by the national media.

2 - I did pick them to win in my bracket, based on the fact I just think they are better than the Irish.

3 - Notre Dame is a Catholic School (but not Jesuit) like Gonzaga

4 - My boss is a Notre Dame alum

Kinda rambling, but it is hard for me to pick a rooting interest. Good news is, I won't be at the game so I won't have to cheer for either.

I guess I'll stay neutral.

beatProgram
03-12-2007, 09:34 AM
4 - My boss is a Notre Dame alum

I'm not sure why this matters, but if it does you can become a Winthrop fan to create a friendly rivalry with your boss, and then you'll have a shared interest with a little competitiveness tossed in.

It can't do anything but give you an added edge with your boss if you lay it down right.

That aside... I'd love to see Winthrop make a run. In almost every case I'm always rooting for the mid-major. I'm anti-BCS, and I'm sick of seeing craptacular major conference teams make the tournament, even when they're playing like garbage (Standford and Arkansas I'm eyeballing you).

I'll have finally reached Nirvana when the Final Four consists of Winthrop, Gonzaga, Marquette, and Xavier. Each one of them having laid waste to some "big name" schools along the way,

former1dog
03-12-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm not sure why this matters, but if it does you can become a Winthrop fan to create a friendly rivalry with your boss, and then you'll have a shared interest with a little competitiveness tossed in.

It can't do anything but give you an added edge with your boss if you lay it down right.

Good point. But I tend to agree with my boss more than not.

I'll have finally reached Nirvana when the Final Four consists of Winthrop, Gonzaga, Marquette, and Xavier. Each one of them having laid waste to some "big name" schools along the way,

You do know that Marquette is in the Big East Conference now, right?

beatProgram
03-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Yeah I know, but it's the Big East. It's my favorite of the big basketball conferences.

They're weak among the BCS in "glamour" and bias (other than 'Cuse, Pitt, and ND) just because of the football side of things, and their basketball affiliations have a TON of really great small programs that deserve some respect. Louisville, DePaul, St. John's, Providence, etc.

I've often thought that Gonzaga should try and get together with some programs from the WAC, Big Sky, and MWC to band together to form a new mid-major powerhouse conference :)

cougs4ever
03-12-2007, 10:41 AM
I will be there, cheering my arse off for Winthrop! I never have been a big fan of anything to do with the Golden Domers. I think it's the fact they have their own TV contract for football! Plus, there is the upset-Cinderella factor, and Zag fans have always had a little spot in their heart for WU.

Somebody send me some Winthrop gear, and I'd be glad to wear it Friday!