PDA

View Full Version : OT: Gaddy to UW

dpouley
10-28-2008, 07:48 PM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/806049.html

If anyone is interested.

BroncoZAG615
10-28-2008, 08:49 PM
With all the crap he has gone through at Arizona it's probably right that he stays close to home.

If this Isaiah Thomas kid is as good as publicized, they should have a pretty good back court for years to come. Wish they would play us.

Coug Tracks
10-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Agree. UW is a good spot for him all things considered. I think he should have waited until UA hired their next coach but obviously he just wants to get it done.

Great get for Romar. Their class was very solid to begin with if they all qualify. If not they lose 1 (Trent?) they could end up with Moser as well.

MDABE80
10-28-2008, 09:09 PM
No worries Coug. The one thing UW doesn't have is Bennett. I was reading on the UW board how some of your comrades are nervous but do wish UW well after this committ Abdul's obviously a terrifc kid who wants one and done according to his "Softy" interview past May. How many time has Ro snagged high end kids to fritter away their time/talent so they leave or underperform. Cougs have good coaching. It's the one thing young players cannot bring with them.

dawgfather11
10-28-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm back did you all miss me!

this just sets the table for romar to pick up both Josh Smith and Tony Wroten possibly the #1 guys in each of the next 2 recruiting classes. Romar gets UW right back on track :D

I'm glad it's basketball season again, been a very tough year for seattle sports and husky football. Now atleast I have something to look forward to!

p.s. are you guy's finally gonna put it all together this year and stop underachieving in the tournament? I hope so.

MDABE80
10-28-2008, 09:19 PM
Romar could have 5 AA's from HS and still figure out a way to underachieve. Just a comment DF;) You know I love the guy....But seriously, have the ole Romo sign up all those kids, grow some nads and sign GU up for a series. That was always so much fun. Ask Nate,
Brandon and all those boys from the worldbeater team.

We have just humble kids at GU. Cmon....talk him into it. Can't wait;)

dpouley
10-28-2008, 09:25 PM

humble kids that can't seem to make it out of the first round.

VinnyZag
10-28-2008, 09:27 PM

First round of the CBI? Or the NIT?
Wait: I forgot, you guys didn't MAKE the NIT the last two years, did you?

dawgfather11
10-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Romar could have 5 AA's from HS and still figure out a way to underachieve. Just a comment DF;) You know I love the guy....But seriously, have the ole Romo sign up all those kids, grow some nads and sign GU up for a series. That was always so much fun. Ask Nate,
Brandon and all those boys from the worldbeater team.

I really don't think we have "underachieved" at any point in the romar era. We had a huge issue in the back court the last 2 years and we have obviously fixed that problem with VO IT and Abdul, pretty confident we will be getting back to where we were with those conroy nate and broy teams.

Hey you should be happy Abe, once the snake leaves to coach Arizona we can finally play each other again.

Edit: Figure I should throw this out there, their is absolutely nothing about the WSU program that worries me even the "messiah" tony bennett doesn't scare me with the group of players he has.

Coug Tracks
10-28-2008, 10:12 PM
You know, I agree. It isn't Bennett you have to worry about. It's whether Romar can have success without Nate Robinson and Brandon Roy playing together. I think Romar is a great human being just like Willingham. The problem is he's probably not even as good a coach. ;)

Romar has been average at best at every stop. He had 3 very good years at UW but with all his players he's been below average. Average isn't a good thing to be if you are a hoops coach in the Pac 10.

MDABE80
10-28-2008, 10:14 PM
OH DRAT DF! I thought a possible V with all these worldbeaters Romar has assembled might be an inducement for him to perform the mythical beatdown on Mark Few and the Zags. Dang! I was hoping he might change his mind, step up and explode all over GU.

Few told me .....when we picked up our kids from St Al's that he'd be staying. And now he's leaving DF????? What!!! And all along I thought we might put this series back together. Sportmanship and all that......hmmmm.......

Well , I guess this means the good players are in the West and WSU and GU have leftovers. One thing the East side has are TWO GREAT COACHES. Kids need coaches to develop. No worries though DF, I guess GU will just have to hobble into the FF. I know you'll love watching that. I know I will..... After years not getting into the NCAA tournament, is this UW's year????

Husky's in shape after that nifty pay for play CBI first round exit? Dang I wish that would have been a TV game;)

dawgfather11
10-28-2008, 10:27 PM
OH DRAT DF! I thought a possible V with all these worldbeaters Romar has assembled might be an inducement for him to perform the mythical beatdown on Mark Few and the Zags. Dang! I was hoping he might change his mind, step up and explode all over GU.

Few told me .....when we picked up our kids from St Al's that he'd be staying. And now he's leaving DF????? What!!! And all along I thought we might put this series back together. Sportmanship and all that......hmmmm.......

Well , I guess this means the good players are in the West and WSU and GU have leftovers. One thing the East side has are TWO GREAT COACHES. Kids need coaches to develop. No worries though DF, I guess GU will just have to hobble into the FF. I know you'll love watching that. I know I will..... After years not getting into the NCAA tournament, is this UW's year????

Husky's in shape after that nifty pay for play CBI first round exit? Dang I wish that would have been a TV game;)

I would love to watch GU in the Final Four abe it would be great! In fact I alway's make a bracket where they do make it to the final four just in case they finally decide to play at the end of the year like they do in the start!

If few was such a great coach, he woulda been able to stop 1 player from throwing up like what 75 on you guy's in the tournament? :P

You know as well as I do the only reason we no longer play each other, and once that problem leaves we can resume the great series :P

billyberu
10-28-2008, 10:28 PM

When you guys make it to the first round let's talk. Until then I look forward to you inserting your foot firmly in your mouth every time you stopby. Ta ta!

dawgfather11
10-28-2008, 10:45 PM
You know, I agree. It isn't Bennett you have to worry about. It's whether Romar can have success without Nate Robinson and Brandon Roy playing together. I think Romar is a great human being just like Willingham. The problem is he's probably not even as good a coach. ;)

Romar has been average at best at every stop. He had 3 very good years at UW but with all his players he's been below average. Average isn't a good thing to be if you are a hoops coach in the Pac 10.

since when is 35-30 over the last 2 years below average? Cuz those are the supposed years where he has had "his" players. We will just leave out the fact that romar recruited B Roy Bobby Jones Tre Simmons etc... so you can feel better about your arguement :P Even with the last 2 down years romar is over .600% winning percentage here at UW. Not to shabby for a below average coach wouldn't you say?

dawgfather11
10-28-2008, 10:51 PM
When you guys make it to the first round let's talk. Until then I look forward to you inserting your foot firmly in your mouth every time you stopby. Ta ta!

and yet in the last 4 years, romar has made it out of the first weekend more times than few! Ooops...

MDABE80
10-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Romar made it out of which weekend? to where? CBI, NIT? where'd your boy go?

And you're right DF...we agree that Romar suspended the series because his program was getting mugged in public. He simply didn't like that. Who could blame him? lol..........bad for the recruiting.....especially when it's on TV.

Besides, you're missed at the Kennel. Come on over and feel the POWER!!!

LongIslandZagFan
10-29-2008, 05:55 AM

Make a tournament and then talk. With the talent that the chicken....errrr... Romar has had, he should have at least been able to guide them to a NIT bid.

dawgfather11
10-29-2008, 06:13 AM
Romar made it out of which weekend? to where? CBI, NIT? where'd your boy go?

And you're right DF...we agree that Romar suspended the series because his program was getting mugged in public. He simply didn't like that. Who could blame him? lol..........bad for the recruiting.....especially when it's on TV.

Besides, you're missed at the Kennel. Come on over and feel the POWER!!!

denial abe? so unbecoming! Can't fault you though you guy's blindly follow the snake!

I miss coming to the kennel that UW GU game couple years ago was the 2nd loudest bball game (Arizona vs UW triple OT game the year before being louder) i've ever been at, it's a great place to watch a game and most of you guy's here are very friendly and come talk to me :P

willandi
10-29-2008, 06:56 AM
Posted this a.m. in the Seattle Times. Heres the link:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskies/2008324227_umen29.html

Zagdawg
10-29-2008, 07:01 AM
Well dawgfather we miss handing your guys the good old "Beatdowns at the Bank" as well as at our house-- hopefully romar finds his confidence again and grows a set and we get to resume the Beatdowns once again.

Romars motto-- "Underachieve and they will come-- er...not want to leave home/the Seattle area".

Jakester425
10-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Glad to see Gaddy stay in-state.

Jakester425
10-29-2008, 07:33 AM
The sad thing is that I remember a couple of years ago Romar said that his program needs more "high profile" games on his schedule, thats why he wont be playing Gonzaga. If you look at your schedule this year, we would have been thee highest profile team on there. In the end I understand though, getting dominated year after year isnt too fun.

GUZagDenver
10-29-2008, 08:13 AM
since when is 35-30 over the last 2 years below average? Cuz those are the supposed years where he has had "his" players. We will just leave out the fact that romar recruited B Roy Bobby Jones Tre Simmons etc... so you can feel better about your arguement :P Even with the last 2 down years romar is over .600% winning percentage here at UW. Not to shabby for a below average coach wouldn't you say?

Did you just try and defend a .600 winning percentage?? Last time I checked, winning 6 out of 10 games is disappointing. I guess we have higher standards at GU. Probably the reason UW is the doormat of the Pac-10.

Das Zagger
10-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Romar could have 5 AA's from HS and still figure out a way to underachieve.

Abe does have a point here. For the 15 minutes that Hawes was at UW, it was a major disappointment regarding the expectations they had (didn't some sports writer say that UW was a legit F4 contender in 08 when they signed Hawes?).

If Romar doesn't win one NCAA tournament game this year I think his seat gets a bit hotter than it is right now.

JAGzag
10-29-2008, 08:59 AM
For those UW fans, I'm curious why UW can land some pretty good talent - high caliber HS kids - and really not do all that much. The last few years have been pretty pathetic. What's your explanation? Not trying to start another pissing match but we've heard this song before, right?

cjm720
10-29-2008, 09:14 AM

this just sets the table for romar to pick up both Josh Smith and Tony Wroten possibly the #1 guys in each of the next 2 recruiting classes. Romar gets UW right back on track :D

That'd be nuts! What would that make 7 first round picks in 7 years (Nate-Dog, Roy, Hawes, Brokman?, Gaddy, Smith, Wroten), assuming the latter 3 are one-and-doners. Romar can definitely recruit.

I'm still not sold that going after one-and-doners are good for GU's program, but I'm sure Few and Co. wouldn't mind having the skills of Josh Smith for a year.

GO ZAGS!!!!

BobZag
10-29-2008, 09:46 AM
It'll be weird seeing Gaddy and all that talent in the NIT or CBI. I might even watch if there isn't a good movie on. ;)

gu03alum
10-29-2008, 10:50 AM
B...burn

Nice one BobZag!!!

It seems weird that he would want to go to a program like that, that really had one player carry them to prominence (Roy) until they fell off and became UW again. It's kind of like what will happen at WSU this year.

Coug Tracks
10-29-2008, 11:05 AM

What's UWs Pac 10 record over the last 2 or 3 yearsHe since Brandon Roy, Bobby Jones, Tre Simmons, and Nate Robinson have left town?

Romar had a lottery pick in Spencer Hawes and wasn't able to get to the Tournament. He wasn't able to adapt his "system" to different players.

On another note, what did Few do to stop the series with UW?

Pargo the Destroyer
10-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Im not linking it, go to espn.com, and read about it.

BobZag
10-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Funny thing is, Roy was a Bob Bender recruit. When the last Bender recruit left, UW stopped going to postseasons. Coincidence? I think not.

MDABE80
10-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Good point BZ. Only one thing to spain it and it isn't bad luck. UW has consistently recruited all this talent. They leave or they donothing in the post season. I'm not even sure they're in contention in the Pac 10. One guy (will change the recent history?). ONLY if he has a good coach to make the team synch. The old days of the purple wall playing crazy pick up ball......are over....or are they???
I wonder what Ro will do next? It'd be wonderful if he'd eat his pride and try on the Zags again. It's the only honorable thing to do;)

Zagdawg
10-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Mr. Tracks--

Let's see if I can recall the specifics.

Romar got his hand slapped by the ncaa for sending coach bone over to try to recruit Heytvelt after he had signed with the Zags.

A number of coaches including Few raised the issue to the NCAA--The Huskies got reprimanded----Bone got slapped by the NCAA and suspended/fined.

Ever since then (besides the beatdown we provided them year after year) romar had been looking to weasel his way out of playing the Zags (if he had the option --I would expect he would do the same thing with the Cougs).

The reason romar told the press was he wanted schedule some teams and get some national exposure-- well it worked-- his program has been exposed nationally as he hoped. Now he schedules the powerhouses like green river community college, everett community college etc in order to get added national exposure.

And now you know the rest of the story..........

dawgfather11
10-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Well dawgfather we miss handing your guys the good old "Beatdowns at the Bank" as well as at our house-- hopefully romar finds his confidence again and grows a set and we get to resume the Beatdowns once again.

Romars motto-- "Underachieve and they will come-- er...not want to leave home/the Seattle area".

maybe it's just my imagination, but i was at the last game played at the bank, the only 1 played their when we were good and maybe my memory is failing, but didn't we win that one? :) I dunno maybe i'm remembering wrong :P

dawgfather11
10-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Did you just try and defend a .600 winning percentage?? Last time I checked, winning 6 out of 10 games is disappointing. I guess we have higher standards at GU. Probably the reason UW is the doormat of the Pac-10.

did you at all see what I quoted? If so your response is mind boggling! I'm very happy with romar and his winning percentage and know it will only go up from here, hell until last year he was over .700. I agree, I would definitely have a higher standard if I played in the WCC as well.

RenoZag
10-29-2008, 07:17 PM

Hell no.

bigfoot3
10-29-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm curious to see how well three point guards will play with each other in the same system. Last year, it was Venoy Overton, then they signed Isaiah Thomas and now they got Gaddy. I'm thinking thats too many guards. And having played against all of them, i know they are all very versatile and could possibly play the shooting guard position but all three will want and deserve significant playing time...

dawgfather11
10-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Abe does have a point here. For the 15 minutes that Hawes was at UW, it was a major disappointment regarding the expectations they had (didn't some sports writer say that UW was a legit F4 contender in 08 when they signed Hawes?).

If Romar doesn't win one NCAA tournament game this year I think his seat gets a bit hotter than it is right now.

To be fair, hawes was playing hurt pretty much the whole year and he still played very well. Not like we were bad that year either 19-13 with if i'm remembering correctly about 5 games that we lost at the end :P

Hawes was amazing, just don't think his type of game was right for our program :P Of course not having decent pg the last 2 years has hurt us as well :)

GoZags
10-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Hawes was amazing, just don't think his type of game was right for our program :P Of course not having decent pg the last 2 years has hurt us as well :)

Or not having Ken Bone around, or any coach that could devise a way to get Hawes (or fellow McDonald All-American big man Jon Brockman) the ball.

It's too bad that Hawes' last time in a Husky uniform, with his teammates, was getting all dressed up for the "practice that never was". It's sure too bad that there wasn't a CBI to buy their way into at the end of Hawes' year at UDub.

He could have ended his career with an embarrasing home CBI loss, instead of getting all dressed up with no place to go.

dawgfather11
10-29-2008, 08:52 PM
For those UW fans, I'm curious why UW can land some pretty good talent - high caliber HS kids - and really not do all that much. The last few years have been pretty pathetic. What's your explanation? Not trying to start another pissing match but we've heard this song before, right?

Last year we were bad, that was it. Alot of it had to do with the fact we completly tanked at the line, believe we finished last year as the 2nd to last team in FT % That alone cost us 4-5 games. We really have only 2 highly rated recruits and then losing 3 out of 4 people in 1 of our classes doesn't help.

dawgfather11
10-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Or not having Ken Bone around, or any coach that could devise a way to get Hawes (or fellow McDonald All-American big man Jon Brockman) the ball.

It's too bad that Hawes' last time in a Husky uniform, with his teammates, was getting all dressed up for the "practice that never was". It's sure too bad that there wasn't a CBI to buy their way into at the end of Hawes' year at UDub.

He could have ended his career with an embarrasing home CBI loss, instead of getting all dressed up with no place to go.

so bitter for a supposed closet UW fan gz

GoZags
10-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Bitter? That's laughable.

Just like the current Men's Basketball program at Washington under the chicken snake oil salesman.

dawgfather11
10-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Bitter? That's laughable.

Just like the current Men's Basketball program at Washington under the chicken snake oil salesman.

sorry mark few isn't our coach gz, maybe you have him confused with our classy well respected coach? :)

GoZags
10-29-2008, 09:24 PM
http://www.sportshumanitarian.com/press_releases/HOF_pressrelease_08_06_17.pdf

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=4246&highlight=romar+chicken