PDA

View Full Version : Zags practice update

GU32
10-27-2008, 07:05 PM
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=8582#more

Goodson should really help the zags this year.

Nevtelen
10-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Some interesting info there. I'm not too surprised about Goodson - he looked pretty good and in control in the scrimmage, esp considering he's a freshman.

Great news on Will (the coaches have some confidence that Will can play significant minutes) and Sacre hopes to be back for the Old Spice. Personally, unless it is 110% clear everything is totally okay, I hope they hold him out until Christmas or so, but the sooner he can be 100% the better.

BobZag
10-28-2008, 10:04 AM
That's very high praise by Few. Stepp was the son of a highly regarded coach and grew up with basketball. I think we fans are gona love Meech and what he can do.

cggonzaga
10-28-2008, 11:07 AM
I don't know if I've ever heard Few give a player that much praise let alone a freshman.

KSTATEZAG
10-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Agreed. This guy is gonna be a star! Diaper Dandy fo' sho'.
I'm just giddy though about seeing that tall guy get some PT.
I remember the UTSA game. What like 4 blocks in 5 minutes---it was one of my favorite endings to a game.
I wonder what the prospects are re: Will's minutes?

FuManShoes
10-28-2008, 11:49 AM
I, too, was very excited to see Few's profusive praise for Goodson. But I also know well by now that freshman invariably hit a wall, no matter how polished they may be. Remember how Bouldin destroyed UNC only to lose some of that swagger as the season wore on? I'm hoping I'm wrong that that may happen with Meech, but I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm if only to be fair to the freshman.

cggonzaga
10-28-2008, 11:53 AM
The only difference I see with that is Matt started all year out of necessity. Meech gets to play behind Pargo. Hopefully that will keep him fresh and he can just continue to learn and get better.

sharpzag
10-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Will Few play Pargo/Meech at the same time?

We obviously need to have Pargo on the floor as he is clearly one of the best players on this team.

However, based on the scrimmage, Meech appears to be very good at pushing the ball and finding open shooters (already better than Pargo?--at pushing the ball and finding open shooters). I think, with all of the athletic wings/shooters that we have on this team, that Few is going to need to play Meech a lot.

HillBillyZag
10-28-2008, 12:11 PM
I hear that he looked good in last weekends scrimmage and has continued to improve on a weekly basis. I predicts the big kid will open some eyes this season.

CDC84
10-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Will Few play Pargo/Meech at the same time?

I'm hearing we'll see some of this.

zag67
10-28-2008, 01:05 PM
I do not think that we would see much of a Pargo/Meech combo, because both of them are drivers and neither are super outside shooters. Both of them can make the players around them better with their driving, ballhandling and passing to the open person. I do think with Meech giving Pargo some nice rest times that we should see a better Jeremy because he will not be as tired.

Now there may be times when for defense we might see both of them because of their quickness.

zaguarxj
10-28-2008, 02:18 PM
I don't know if I've ever heard Few give a player that much praise let alone a freshman.

I remember Few heaping quite a bit of praise on a freshman just last year. And I'm not talking about AD.

cggonzaga
10-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Hes farther along than any of the freshman guards weve had in since maybe Blake (Stepp), Bulldogs head coach Mark Few said.

You've kind of been on me today zaguarxj. If you're suggesting I don't think super highly of SG that's not true. I started a thread about SG after the first scrimmage stating he could be the star of the team this year. So I'm not sure where all of this is coming from?

wscsuperfan
10-28-2008, 07:18 PM
I was hoping someone was going to say "Everyone got hurt today........Wayne State will take it to us!"

lol

dim4sum
10-28-2008, 09:59 PM
I think he can be a difference maker. Last year's team, if memory serves correct, had leads in each of the games it lost. And lost because of second half implosions. With Pargo getting six or seven minutes rest a game (and of course altering his alleged diet) this could be huge.

Nevtelen
10-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Agreed that the rest (and a quality back-up in case of foul trouble) could be huge for Pargo. Hopefully it'll allow other players like Gray and Bouldin to stop having to worry about filling in at PG on occasion and just concentrate on their own positions on the court.