PDA

View Full Version : Gaddy, Hill, Moser look elsewhere

Section 116
10-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Gaddy consideres UCLA and UW, Hill looks at USC, Moser also gone:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3667137&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines
Here's more from the Tuscon Citizen:

Gaddy decommits from UA
STEVE RIVERA
Tucson Citizen
The third and final defection of Arizona's recruiting class for 2009 is complete.
Prized recruit Abdul Gaddy has decommitted for a second time in five months, his father, Abdul Sr., confirmed in a text message to the Citizen.
Gaddy, Solomon Hill and Mike Moser have all decommitted since Lute Olson retired as coach Thursday.
Gaddy's decision wasn't a surprise. His father said after Olson's retirement that his son was re-thinking his commitment and the family would get together to discuss the matter.
Gaddy, a 6-foot-3 guard from Tacoma, Wash., was ranked as the No. 9 overall prospect for 2009.
Hill, a 6-6 forward from Los Angeles, and Moser, a 6-8 forward from Portland, Ore., both didn't feel comfortable keeping their commitments to a program without a permanent head coach. Russ Pennell will be UA's interim coach for the 2008-09 season.
Moser visited UA over the weekend in what had been a previously-scheduled trip.
Moser's AAU coach, Kumbeno Memory, said he spoke to Moser on Sunday afternoon and nothing had changed in his decision to decommit.
In fact, the uncertainty of the program's future reaffirmed his decision to decommit, despite him "having a fine time."
"Had Lute been there (the trip) would have been for getting acclimated with the program and about getting excited about next year," Memory said. "But where things are at, things are different.
"In talking to the coaches, they were unsure what was going to be happening in the future and who would be the coach in the future. They didn't have many answers for him. It just made it even more confusing to him, so his best option was to open things back up."

CDC84
10-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Don't be surprised if some of these guys wait until spring....especially Moser.

BobZag
10-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Sounds like Gaddy may end up at UW. His dad seems to like that idea. Bruin fans won't like that.

Coug Tracks
10-27-2008, 01:56 PM
CDC, I think that is exactly what they all should do. What's the rush at this point? By the spring, UA will have a new coach and I seriously doubt anyone on their list won't still make room.

I don't see the downside of waiting and there is significant upside.

MDABE80
10-27-2008, 03:06 PM
I hope they DO wait till spring. I would too. If for nothing else to get a feel as to who's got a good team and who doesn't. There's some serious charmers out there who never can coach a lick. In some cases, it's beginning to show. In others some "coaches" stumblebum into a few good years and then the program fizzles due to bad coaching. Sometimes coaches with great records get to that "dream" job and sorta retire. Those 3 kids need training, little talk about one and done, and to get busy with good coaching....of course in a program with excellent TV, NCAA appearances, jets (so they can study and not be on the road;)), good academia, a history of AA guards some of who go on to the NBA.. etc.
Abe can think of very few places that might qualify;)

BobZag
10-27-2008, 03:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3667137

Arizona has zero 2009 scholies now.

spokanebruin
10-28-2008, 07:08 AM
Sounds like Gaddy may end up at UW. His dad seems to like that idea. Bruin fans won't like that.

I think your right Bob. Everything I'm hearing indicates Gaddy is going to UW. I thought he would be a slam dunk for UCLA after Lute retired. I think it is more then him wanting to stay close to home. There is something about UCLA that gives Gaddy second thoughts. I don't know if its Howlands style or the possible competition next year. I think UCLA has always been his second choice. Apparently Howland is aggressively recruiting Moser. He seems to be a perfect fit for Howlands system.

cjm720
10-28-2008, 07:15 AM
BZ, is GU out of the picture for Hill or Moser?

LongIslandZagFan
10-28-2008, 07:45 AM
Holy Imploding Program Batman!

No recruits and likely losing 2 players to the NBA. OUCH!

SpudDawg
10-28-2008, 07:50 AM
Exactly, LIZF! I never thought it would end like this for Lute Olson.

Kiddwell
10-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Why on earth these kids don't want to play for the Zags is a mystery to me. One of the top programs nationally! Always on TV (ABC, CBS, Fox, ESPN)! ESPN's "national team!" And dare I additionally mention Coach Mark Few, a state-of-the-art venue, genuinely "big deal" national games every year, sold-out-well-into-the-future fanatical crowds, repeated appearances at the Dance, etc., etc.?

And each of these kids is a West Coaster! Two, Northwesterners!

Kiddwell doesn't get it...Kiddwell needs an aspirin...

:[

cjm720
10-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Kiddwell, I think the WCC drags our rep down a bit. Plus bigger schools have more chicks!

GO ZAGS!!!!!!!

BobZag
10-28-2008, 09:27 AM
I think your right Bob. Everything I'm hearing indicates Gaddy is going to UW. I thought he would be a slam dunk for UCLA after Lute retired. I think it is more then him wanting to stay close to home. There is something about UCLA that gives Gaddy second thoughts. I don't know if its Howlands style or the possible competition next year. I think UCLA has always been his second choice. Apparently Howland is aggressively recruiting Moser. He seems to be a perfect fit for Howlands system.

Honestly, I just think the kid is worn out by all the drama at UA and playing away from home doesn't appeal to him nearly as much as it once did. UCLA is a far superior program than UW, not even close, and Howland puts PGs into the draft (see Farmar, Westbrook could be, and soon Collison), but Lute wore Gaddy out and it feels like he may just want to stay home now. That's my read on things.

MDABE80
10-28-2008, 05:01 PM
In some waysI bet BZ's very correct. I bet he Just wants things to settle down. Even for an 18 yr old, too much drama ( in this case real life drama) just wears you down.

AZ looks a lot better than UW......even without Lute. That's my own thought though. UCLA looks better but it's a big adjustment from Tacoma. Something tells me this kid is an awfull good kid and it's "any port in a storm" if he takes UW. Romar is such a great BS....well I won't say it.
When Abdul was over for camp 2 Summers ago, I had a chance to chat a few minutes with him and Bradley. Both nice kids , Gaddy seemed just a cut different. Both stellar players but I liked Gaddy a lot. I had hopes he might come to GU as he seemed to like the campus a lot. I bet he'll do fine wherever he goes. That graveyard in Seattle seems to have awakened again though.

Going back 4 decades, lots of fine kids/players showed up but very rarely prospered. Not sure why either. We all all wish Abdul success wherever he lands.

zagfan08
10-28-2008, 05:24 PM
I am told we are Gaddy's number 3 pick as of now, behind UW and UCLA (don't know the order of those two).

Seems like there still could be a shot. But I can't say enough how much a deep run in the tournament would help with recruiting. Nothing gets a kid's attention like watching a team play in early April.

pbriz
10-28-2008, 05:32 PM
I am told we are Gaddy's number 3 pick as of now, behind UW and UCLA (don't know the order of those two).

Seems like there still could be a shot. But I can't say enough how much a deep run in the tournament would help with recruiting. Nothing gets a kid's attention like watching a team play in early April.

I just don't see it. I think we are in the 3 spot too but UW will jump at the chance of Gaddy. It comes down to playing time. Is Gaddy better than Jrue Holiday, Jerime Anderson, or Malcolm Lee after a year under their belts. I don't think so. Is he better than either Meech, Gray, and Bouldin after another year? Perhaps, but definitely not a guarantee. Is he better than Venoy Overton or Isaiah Thomas after a year. Most likely yes. And that is why he ends up at UW.

longball
10-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Just posted on the scout website that Gaddy has committed to UW.

MDABE80
10-28-2008, 08:10 PM
And he didn't read my post above!!???!!!???? lol.....

Coug Tracks
10-28-2008, 08:51 PM
After eveything that has happened, Gaddy just wanted to stick close to home. He obviously had a good relationship with Romar and UW is in the Pac 10. Also, apparently he has formed a relationship with Thomas.

It's too bad for Gaddy since his dream school was UA. I think he should have waited until spring to see who they hire. Everyone on his list would have waited.

Good job by Romar. What a gift get!

gonzagacfen
10-31-2008, 12:04 AM
This is unreal. Do people ever think where the good programs are at right now? UW has been doing under par for a few years and many of the good recruits are commiting there and not to us. We have the better program now and we should be recruiting some top recruited players.

ZagManFan
10-31-2008, 08:05 AM
This is unreal. Do people ever think where the good programs are at right now? UW has been doing under par for a few years and many of the good recruits are commiting there and not to us. We have the better program now and we should be recruiting some top recruited players.

I think we have done wonders in recruiting. Just because Gaddy chose UW doesn't mean we are not recruiting high caliber players. Also, I think Few and the group recruit players who fit the program rather than just recruiting to recruit a high profile player.

Gaddy's a 1 and done player anyways. Would rather have Meech for 4 years than Gaddy for 1 year. Just MHO.

Coug Tracks
10-31-2008, 01:09 PM
Due to his age he will need to stay in college for at least 2 years.

dawgfather11
10-31-2008, 01:37 PM
I think we have done wonders in recruiting. Just because Gaddy chose UW doesn't mean we are not recruiting high caliber players. Also, I think Few and the group recruit players who fit the program rather than just recruiting to recruit a high profile player.

Gaddy's a 1 and done player anyways. Would rather have Meech for 4 years than Gaddy for 1 year. Just MHO.

is this where you guy's claim "we didn't want hime he's a 1 and done anyway!" despite the fact he has to play 2 regardless...

Seriously though, those concerned about GU not getting big name recruits need not look any further than your conference. Unfortunetly for GU the WCC really holds them back when it comes to recruiting. Being in Spokane doesn't help either but doesn't hurt as much as the conference. That said you guy's still find players to make things work for you and your system and do it very well.