PDA

View Full Version : Kennel Club Needs Your Help!

a4zag
10-27-2008, 08:21 AM
This season has seen a revamping of many aspects of the Athletics Department and Kennel Club in terms of Basketball. So to go along with that, we are looking for some new cheers to supplement the basics we have been using for years. Please post with any ideas or cheers from the past.

Thanks

Birddog
10-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Please post with any ideas or cheers from the past.
Call a meeting ( call it a charette), buy a keg (refreshments will be served), make some up ( get wild and crazy).

DenDiegoZag
10-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Call a meeting ( call it a charette), buy a keg (refreshments will be served), make some up ( get wild and crazy).

My thoughts exactly...Beer used to always help out the KC Board's creativity when we were at GU...In fact, I think I helps the creativity of just about all who chose to consume it while at GU...I think that there may even be a Jesuit or two (call them chaperons) who might help with the beer consumption and the logical formations of some of the cheers...

gbnyba17
10-27-2008, 08:25 PM
definitely need some new cheers. a lot of em are just getting old and wayy too repetitive. that being said, im not a cheerleader and dont have any suggestions. somebody get creative!

MDZag
10-28-2008, 07:45 AM
What are you talking about needing new cheers?????

"Score -- Zags -- Score" has always been a classic...:lmao:

I think a few beers may be just what the doctor ordered.

Just A Zag
10-28-2008, 08:05 AM
I always thought it would be cool if we did something that Duke does pretty well and cheer "Let's Go Zags". They do their cheer let's go duke with a clap for let's and go and then a fist in the air for duke. It looks cool and it's fairly simple. Aside from that it would be a total rip off of them.:D

gozagswoohoo
10-28-2008, 08:57 AM
*CLAP CLAP*

"Zags are awesome" <------together in unison

*CLAP CLAP*

"Zags are fantastic"

*CLAP CLAP*

"Zags are prestigious"

*CLAP CLAP*

"Zags are wonderful"

*CLAP CLAP*

Then once they have run through that once, they repeat it all 2 more times.

IrishZag
10-28-2008, 09:20 AM
I like to accuse players of having terrible cultural tastes.

Example

Omar Samhan listens to WHAM!
Patty Mills loves Footloose!
Gyno Pomare uses Soul Glo!

Get more ridiculous and vehement with your accusations as the night goes on, sing lyrics, quote movies, hold up life size cutouts of George Michael or Kevin Bacon.

So what if it isn't true, the player will be so confused of the targeted criticism that he is bound to lose focus.

zagmantis2001
10-28-2008, 09:24 AM
I liked "man boobs" for Omar.

That and "Ear Job Jensen" were the best.

zag944
10-28-2008, 10:06 AM
it may not be a popular opinion, but Id say just be as offensive as possible without using profanity and especially biogtry.

Samhan's apperance and Gyno's name shouldn't make it that difficult.

I loved all the chants at Jensen and Jason Keep. Those were downright mean. Chanting "Chauncey is better" at Frank Billups for a whole game in 2002was fun too.

BroncoZAG615
10-28-2008, 10:28 AM
I always thought it would be cool if we did something that Duke does pretty well and cheer "Let's Go Zags". They do their cheer let's go duke with a clap for let's and go and then a fist in the air for duke. It looks cool and it's fairly simple. Aside from that it would be a total rip off of them.:D

Agreed. Simplicity is the key in a student section. If you have something with tons of claps and a lot of words, the students are going to sound very bad.

Just do some of "Let's go zags" and mix in some of the old ones. I wish on defense it would just be the jumping around and d-d-d-defense. Those are very easy and loud.

Please no more defense bulldogs defense.

DenDiegoZag
10-28-2008, 11:21 AM
*CLAP CLAP*

"Zags are awesome" <------together in unison

*CLAP CLAP*

"Zags are fantastic"

*CLAP CLAP*

"Zags are prestigious"

*CLAP CLAP*

"Zags are wonderful"

*CLAP CLAP*

Then once they have run through that once, they repeat it all 2 more times.

It should be interesting to see how prestigious comes across on TV from the crowd...I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be a bit muddled...I like it though WooHoo...I'd add "Badass" to the chorus...

MedZag
10-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Agreed. Simplicity is the key in a student section. If you have something with tons of claps and a lot of words, the students are going to sound very bad.

Just do some of "Let's go zags" and mix in some of the old ones. I wish on defense it would just be the jumping around and d-d-d-defense. Those are very easy and loud.

Please no more defense bulldogs defense.

Also highly recommend making handouts for the students as they come in the door with all the cheers, both to help the froshies out (you don't remember much from the serpent night) and to let everyone know the new ones. Trying to pick up on cheers you don't know while on the other end of the student section is almost impossible in the new kennel.

rennis
10-28-2008, 11:52 AM
mean. Chanting "Chauncey is better" at Frank Billups for a whole game in 2002was fun too.

"You're Not Ko-Be!" was awesome when his cousin was playing for the Dons too.

ToreroStudent
10-28-2008, 12:23 PM
"You're not Janero?"

*Sigh* I guess that doesn't work.

ZigZag10
10-29-2008, 11:41 AM
What you need to do is put in a little effort before each game and research some dirt on 2 or 3 players and maybe the program as a whole. Sit around and brainstorm some creative chants that would get inside the players heads when they are shooting free throws, committed a foul, etc and then print them up on paper and lay one on each chair in the student section before the game (if you wanted to get everyone into it you could pass them out to season ticket holders, but that would mean a lot of paper). Have someone in the kennel klub hold up a number that corresponds to a certain chant and the kennel klub will follow. If the students who don't know much about an opposing team receive a sheet with that has the dirt on certain players i think they will be into the game that much more and not just texting on their phones.

BroncoZAG615
10-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Also highly recommend making handouts for the students as they come in the door with all the cheers, both to help the froshies out (you don't remember much from the serpent night) and to let everyone know the new ones. Trying to pick up on cheers you don't know while on the other end of the student section is almost impossible in the new kennel.

I believe that is in the works MedZag.

The KC is sending out newsletters each week with information and cheers on it. I've got a lot of faith in this year's Kennel Club leaders, it's a good bunch.

jim77
10-29-2008, 12:15 PM
I don't think any particular cheer is what works....its how loud and how together the cheer is. Its the volume that grabs em' by the shorts.

SteeleMan
10-29-2008, 01:19 PM
When the Zags have the game in hand.

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands *clap, clap*...

you know how the rest goes... stomp your feet... say "Go Zags"... do all three... With the Zags typically blowing away opponents, this cheer could take up lots of time later in the 2nd half. I, personally, would love to see/hear the entire Kennel Club in unison on this. Of course it would be hard not to break song when Pargo steals the ball or Gray hits a 3...

SunDevilGolfZag
10-29-2008, 04:46 PM
I was living in Desmet when the original Kennel Club as we know it today was refounded. These guys had no lack of creativity. Quite frankly, I am stunned that students in the year 2008 seemingly need help to make their own imprint. I don't recommend wearing empty Schmidt Beer half rack cartons on your heads and dancing at midcourt like the '80s guys did, but come on, you can get a little creative on your own, can't you? (That said, I always did like a rousing chorus of 3-Blind Mice after a terrible call)

nonzagzag
10-29-2008, 06:09 PM
I always like the "left - right - left - right" in time with an opponents footsteps as they are walking back to their bench after fouling out or getting pulled out of the game.

gamagin
10-29-2008, 06:18 PM
I wish you well and good luck with the new season. I have a few suggestions. Keep it simple. Within that framework, have fun.

Fun would, to me, include alot of humor and laughter along with the chiding of the other side.

To get there without just sounding angry or being unfunny, I think you all in the KC need to find & define your own personality, as a group, and work from there.

Read up on the team and have some bits that emphasize our players and read up on the opponent so you can cleverly & effectively poke fun at them, or have fun with them.

I think the memories you create in the process will directly be reflected by the time and attention you put into coming up with stuff that is both entertaining and fun, inside and outside the KC bubble.

Best of luck and go Zags !

a4zag
10-29-2008, 07:37 PM
I was living in Desmet when the original Kennel Club as we know it today was refounded. These guys had no lack of creativity. Quite frankly, I am stunned that students in the year 2008 seemingly need help to make their own imprint.

I feel that this is a great way to bring all of the best of Gonzaga past and present to talk about cheers that worked in the past. I am secure enough in my legacy to ask for Zag fans of all ages to participate in an age old tradition.

To all the others that have posted, thanks so much for the ideas and keep them coming all season. We understand that two heads are better than one and Alumni/fans + current Kennel Club is better than just Kennel Club. We are Gonzaga, no mater when we graduate.

SunDevilGolfZag
10-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Perhaps my comments should be taken a little more lightheartedly -- somtimes the written words don't show the good humor intended. (never hurts to put the full quote in when you parrot someone) Have a great year!

a4zag
10-29-2008, 08:17 PM
I apologize if that sounded harsh. My bad on that one man. The way it was worded, I misunderstood the intent. I appreciate all the comments to this thread and should have taken your post with a better sense of humor. No hard feelings.

Sorry again

zaguarxj
10-30-2008, 08:34 AM
Never Gonna!!!
* clap!-clap!-clap! *
Give You Up!!!
* clap!-clap!-clap! *
Never Gonna!!!
* clap!-clap!-clap! *
Let You Go!!!
* clap!-clap!-clap! *

krozman
10-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Never Gonna!!!
* clap!-clap!-clap! *
Go away!!!
* clap!-clap!-clap! *
unless I getta!!!
* clap!-clap!-clap! *
Home and home!!!
* clap!-clap!-clap! *

Fixed

GoBulldogs
10-30-2008, 12:59 PM
I always thought that during free throws we should be dead silent until right before they shoot. As they bring the ball up, let them have it. I think that would be more distracting than the continuous roar.

LongIslandZagFan
10-30-2008, 01:11 PM
I always liked when you had something on the player you just slowly chanted it whenever they have the ball. But be persistent and stop the instant the ball leaves their hands and start the instant it touches them.

Example:

Dad is the coach... "Daaaaaadeeeee, daaaadeeee, daaah"
Player has academic issues, "Stuuuuuddeee, Stuuuddeeeee'

You get the picture.

bulldog89
11-02-2008, 08:31 AM
When playing a D II team who is playing very hard the "Up by 10..20...30...40...50" was a bad call by the Kennel Club.

kclubfounder
11-02-2008, 03:45 PM
In the 1st year of the club, my favorite was "Herman Munster! Herman Munster!" whenever Nick Vanos of Santa Clara was at the free throw line. His teammates on the bench could not control their laughter. Simple, clean, and easily understood ribs at opposing players are hard to beat. Anything more than 4 syllables and you risk not being understood.

I should mention that Vanos went about 24 for 24 from the line that night so we weren't exactly effective, but it was a lot of fun. And I must also mention that Nick tragically died in a plane crash while he was still a member of the Phoenix Suns only a couple years later.

asoc
11-02-2008, 04:30 PM
If you want something basketball fans may not be used to hearing, look to Supporters Groups in Soccer for some inspiration.

A member on the ecs boards(www.weareecs.com) suggested a play on this recently for a new Sounders song/chant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edX6ckek26U

Easily adapted for Gonzaga, if you don't mind a little spanish.
GOOONNNNZZAAAGAAAA
ES EN FUEGOOOO WAY OH WAY OH
WAY OH WAY OH
GOOONNNNZZAAAGAAAA
ES EN FUEGOOOO WAY OH WAY OH
WAY OH WAY OH

And easily adapted for individual players.

Find Songs with a catchy chorus, something easy to adapt, change the words around to suit the team.

What about some call and response? Would it be possible to get the people on the opposite side from the kennel club to participate in something? Do it once a game at a certain point, print out some fliers that explains the chant and when it will be used and hand them out so the people know what to do. Maybe have a few members go stand in the isles at first to help lead it. Or just find some people willing to help out and lead those around them. And once people catch on, they will look forward to it every game. Call and response can sound really great, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5bC6EeKP3w for example.

K, this next video is not a good representation of the group visually, lol. But it sounds good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utzgUFQlzEo I believe I made this shortly after halftime. There were still people at the beer garden who didn't make it back promptly. Instead of jumping and twirling scarves, twirl rally towels. Don't need a drum obviously, and it is pretty simple, "SHAAAA LA LA LA LA" is about it. It later transitions into a -clap-clap-clap "SEATTLE" -clap-clap-clap- "SOUNDERS" -clap-clap-clap- "SEATTLE" -clap-clap-clap- "SOUNDERS" -clap-clap-clap- Simply replace Seattle with Gonzaga, and Sounders with Bulldogs. And you will need someone to direct the leaning.

Have someone with a strong voice do a call repeat with the KC.
Leader: "GOONZAAAAGGGAAA"
Crowd: repeat
Leader: BULLLLDOOOOGSSS
Crowd: repeat
Leader: GOOOOOOONNNNNZZAAAAAAAAAGGGAAAA
crowd: repeat
After a few long drawn out ones, increase the tempo a couple times with some short ones and then transition it into a "GONZAGA" -clap-clap-clap- "BULLDOGS" -clap-clap-clap- "GONZAGA" -clap-clap-clap- "BULLDOGS" -clap-clap-clap-

And that can transition into something else.

Another one...
US vs Them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyUGm6yqKNs
that is the song it is taken from.

just do the following.

-while jumping up and down-
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OHHH OHH
HEY HEY HEY (toss arms up with each hey)
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OHHH OHH
HEY HEY HEY (toss arms up with each hey)

-stop jumping up and down and sing/shout VERY VERY LOUDLY-
WHEN ITS US, VS THEM, YOU CAN ALWAYS COUNT ON ME!!!
WHEN ITS US, VS THEM, IT's A GONZAGA UNNIIITYYY

Don't worry, none of these ideas were my own, I just tailored them somewhat for GU:-)

It may be a different sport, but Supporters Groups in Soccer and the Kennel Club share a common theme. Support your team no matter how they are playing. When they are doing bad you try to inspire and pick them up. When they are playing good you try to keep them motivated. You even try to get into the opposing teams heads:-) The flow of the game will obviously dictate what kind of songs and chants you can and can't do. But don't be afraid to look outside the box for inspiration. Some of the ones I have suggested may be situational, maybe during timeouts etc. Those with KC experience will have a better idea. Hopefully some of these ideas help inspire some new songs and chants.

and songs for the ref?
Whos your father
whos your father
whos your father referee
you don't have one, never had one
your a ####### referee....

pass the bong ref
pass the bong ref
pass the bonnnnnnnnnnngggggg referee
just one hit ref, thats enough ref
pass the boooonnnggg referee
or something like that:-/

And...
two Rs
four Es
one F in referee
Although that one really wont work for basketball since there are multiple referees.

If anyone is interested in Supporters Culture in Seattle visit the website and boards at www.weareecs.com and/or myspace at http://www.myspace.com/emeraldcitysupporters

Hope this post was helpfull:-)

a4zag
11-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks a ton asoc you might just here some of those ideas come to fruition. Great call on looking into the ecs that was genius.

asoc
11-04-2008, 11:35 PM
Got another one for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssf9Su3AJ0Y

Again, idea stolen from someone at www.weareecs.com