PDA

View Full Version : Abdul Gaddy - reconsidering commitment to UofA

ZagAddict
10-23-2008, 08:54 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/ua/articles/2008/10/23/20081023spt-uagaddy.html

If Abdul Gaddy is looking for stability in a college program, I have a good suggestion ;) The grass isn't always greener on the PAC-10 side of the fence. Too bad his father states that UCLA, Washington, and Oregon are now in the mix again :mad:

As I've stated before, I feel bad for the kids involved in this roller coaster. Lute has completely lost it. The headline report in the Arizona Republic on Wednesday was literally how Lute was "so energized for the upcoming season", and on Thursday he announces his resignation. I'm sure Gaddy, Moser, and Hill are all shaking their heads this evening. I don't think there's much Dunlap or Geary can say to any of these recruits.

MickMick
10-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Ucla

MDABE80
10-23-2008, 09:08 PM
If there's raids to be done, I'd say find a BIG man in all this. Hate the thought of ti though. I honeslty think things will settle down for UA. The more I read about the head assistant coach, the best thing seems to have happened. We'll see. Bad time to give up the ghost though.......Lute must be at his wit's end to do this now. UA will pull through.....

ZagAddict
10-23-2008, 09:19 PM
UCLA has 2 great '08 PG recruits in Malcolm Lee and Jerime Anderson. I think Gaddy would love to play for UCLA, but I don't see it making sense when there are already 2 great PG's already in place. Oregon has Tajuan Porter at PG... I don't see Gaddy unseating Porter as a junior at Oregon. Unfortunately in the PAC-10 Washington seems to make the most sense. Isaiah Thomas was the future PG, but I can see Washington looking elsewhere for a PG... especially if a PG with Gaddy's talent is available. I think Gaddy will ultimately choose to stay close to home for a year at Washington and then bolt for the NBA.

I still think that Gonzaga could offer Gaddy the best opportunity and coaching experience for a PG, but I have little hope that it will actually happen. I actually don't like the one-and-done concept with a recruit... I prefer the stability that 3-4 year players offer.

CDC84
10-23-2008, 10:07 PM
I don't think that Gaddy would be interested in Oregon, but if he was, I would be willing to bet that Uncle Ernie would anoint him the starting point guard from day one. Gaddy is a supremely talented player.

I'm afraid that the little 5-6 dynamo - who never saw a shot he didn't like - is starting to wear out his welcome in Oregon. In addition to shooting his team out of the NCAA tournament, he also only shot 38% from the floor and 35% from 3 point land last season. I said right from the beginning that Porter would never be a consistently great scorer in the Pac 10, and that if he wanted to play at that level, it was in his best interest to concentrate on being a Quentin Hall like defender and setting up his teammates. I have seen nothing to dissuade me from my original opinion.

BTW - I know the mock lists have Jrue Holiday as a one and done player at UCLA, but he is really more of a shooting guard right now, and if he wants to play successfully at the next level, he needs more PG experience than he's probably going to get this year. Point guard is the position he's going to have to play in the NBA. He's too small to be a NBA off guard.

Jakester425
10-24-2008, 06:59 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/ua/articles/2008/10/23/20081023spt-uagaddy.html

If Abdul Gaddy is looking for stability in a college program, I have a good suggestion ;) The grass isn't always greener on the PAC-10 side of the fence. Too bad his father states that UCLA, Washington, and Oregon are now in the mix again :mad:

As I've stated before, I feel bad for the kids involved in this roller coaster. Lute has completely lost it. The headline report in the Arizona Republic on Wednesday was literally how Lute was "so energized for the upcoming season", and on Thursday he announces his resignation. I'm sure Gaddy, Moser, and Hill are all shaking their heads this evening. I don't think there's much Dunlap or Geary can say to any of these recruits.

If Gaddy ends up de-committing, as much as I dispise UW I would hope you would go there. Its sad how much local talent doesnt stay in state.

a4zag
10-24-2008, 07:26 AM
I know there is little chance of this happening but I pray that Gonzaga somehow works their way back into the mix. If there was ever a time to go for a recruit like this it's now. We are poised to have one of our best seasons ever and Gaddy goes to a Jesuit High school that has come to Gonzaga every summer for basketball camp for years. Not to mention his high school coach went to Gonzaga and knows coach Few.
Why not pray for a miracle?

zagfan1
10-24-2008, 08:24 AM
I don't want Gaddy as a Zag. Seems like he can't make up his mind. I want a player who wants to come to GU and not make a huge circus of his commitment and making it seem like he is much more than what he really is. He is one potential talent that still needs to prove himself. I personally hope he goes to UW or UCLA so they can deal with his ego.

cbbfanatic
10-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Are any scouts projecting this guy as a one, or even two, and done college player?

The only place I think I've ever heard such innuendo is here...

Its VERY tough for a pg to be one and done, my guess is that wall will be the only one from that class to do it.

BobZag
10-24-2008, 09:09 AM
If I were Few, I'd attempt to get back in on Gaddy. Why not try? Gonzaga has a lot to sell - TV exposure, coaching stability, annual March Madness, National exposure, average of 26+ wins per season, fantastic support.....

Not saying it would work, just saying I'd give it a try.

former1dog
10-24-2008, 09:37 AM
I don't want Gaddy as a Zag. Seems like he can't make up his mind.

What led you to this conclusion? It seems a more plausible explanation as to why he committed, then decommitted, then recommitted and decommitted again has nothing to do with his flakiness but the soap opera going on at Arizona. Can you blame him after all that has gone on there?

I want a player who wants to come to GU and not make a huge circus of his commitment and making it seem like he is much more than what he really is. He is one potential talent that still needs to prove himself. I personally hope he goes to UW or UCLA so they can deal with his ego.

I agree with wanting a player that really wants to be a Zag, but the rest of your comments I don't think are based in reality.

zagfan1
10-24-2008, 10:50 AM
This soap opera has been going on for some time at Arizona. Lute has temporarily come and gone for the past five years and then he fired the interim coach of last year. I guess I would expect Gaddy to factor in his latest decision (to stay) the possibility that Lute could leave again either temporarily or permanently. Now we find out Lute is leaving for good so I guess I don't really see this as a surprise. The only rational way that I saw Gaddy making his decision a few months ago to stay was that he also liked the core coaching staff or he just liked Arizona. Well, Lute is gone but the core coaching staff is still there. If Gaddy is really that good and is a one and done type player this probably shouldn't be a factor for him. Also, another way to think of this is Gaddy could come in and take a leadership role and through his efforts the team could come together chanelling the path of the team towards another successful season. Sometimes in a vacuum, a lot of positive things can happen for a player. So this kind of tells me Gaddy wants to run when the going gets tough. So if he were at Gonzaga and we had another Heytvelt type situation where he was arrested or Mark Few left for Oregon is Gaddy going to jump ship and transfer? Also, we really don't know what his true motivations are. Does he want to reconsider cause of the coaching termoil or is he using it as an excuse to flip flop for some other undiclosed reason?

CDC84
10-24-2008, 11:00 AM
I'd take Gaddy in a heartbeat. He's an outstanding student, and a good kid based on everything I've heard. And I say that despite being a bit puzzled as to why he was so captivated by the Arizona program despite all the overwhelming evidence that it was in decline.

GUZagDenver
10-24-2008, 11:17 AM
I don't want Gaddy as a Zag. Seems like he can't make up his mind. I want a player who wants to come to GU and not make a huge circus of his commitment and making it seem like he is much more than what he really is. He is one potential talent that still needs to prove himself. I personally hope he goes to UW or UCLA so they can deal with his ego.

I totally disagree. A college kid with this much talent not being able to make up his mind is totally understandable, even if he hadn't made up his mind, but he did. He was going to UA to play for Lute, but now Lute is leaving. Is he supposed to go to UA and play for a team with a rent-a-coach. What if he wants to stay for 2-3 years. No one would have said this about Austin Daye if he had committed to UCLA and then decided to come to GU. I hope the Zags get him.

BobZag
10-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Gaddy can make up his mind better than Lute can.

SteelCityZag
10-24-2008, 12:12 PM
I have no idea whether the Zags can get in on Gaddy at this point. I suspect not, since we haven't seemed to be that close the first two tries.

But consider this, if Gaddy is truly a one-and-done guy, he'll need to make the biggest impact he can in that one year. Where can he go where he will play, get weekly exposure, and have the best shot at making some noise in the tournament? Washington? Oregon?

GU has to be worth considering in these regards.

dim4sum
10-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Gaddy has a high IQ and is not a mere basketball junky. If anyone were to bypass the pros for an extra year or two of excellent academic instruction it would be him. Call out the Calvary. Is Casey available for a little nudging on
Few's behalf?

zagfan1
10-24-2008, 03:57 PM
So Arizona is in chaos and we have Gaddy looking for another suitor. Wouldn't everyone think that he would just hang up the notion of gong to UCLA or Arizona and decide to finallly go to a school closer to home. With Gonzaga being the best program closest to him with the tv exposure and great scheduling shouldn't we feel good about our chances now? Didn't he consider GU again before he decided to recommit to Arizona?

ZagManFan
10-24-2008, 05:01 PM
I for one am happy with what we have right now. All players that wanted to play for GU. I love Pargo and I love Meech and really do not want to get into the mix of Gaddy coming here. We will be better off in the long run.

Just my .02

MDABE80
10-24-2008, 05:20 PM
He's a great player but he does seems a bit confuseld.............maybe because of Lute who seems confuseld as much as anyone right about now. He needs to settle down and take a fresh look at a stable, solid Jesuit instiution. As BZ says..we got TV, National schedule, NCAA all the time, and great coaches who've been here at GU forever.

He'll start and be a star anywhere he goes. Bit sure what else he could want. Maybe he doesn't know either;) Maybe he wants to join Bradley in TX.........who knows?!?!? Good kid to have though.

Coug Tracks
10-24-2008, 06:57 PM
I don't think Gaddy is confused at all. His dream school growing up was UA and that is where he wants to go to school. It's been the situation with Lute that has caused him to change his mind when Lute took a LOA last year and now decides to retire in October. The whole situation at UA is incredibly unsettled with Dunlap now also resigning. The entire staff that originally recruited Gaddy are now all gone. Lute is gone. That's a drastic change and now an unknown coach will take over.

If I was one of these 3 players I would seriously consider waiting until spring. By then, UA will have a permanent head coach in. I bet all the schools they were/are considering will wait for them to make up their mind.

Just me though. What a mess.

spudzag
10-24-2008, 07:00 PM
I for one am happy with what we have right now. All players that wanted to play for GU. I love Pargo and I love Meech and really do not want to get into the mix of Gaddy coming here. We will be better off in the long run.

Just my .02

I completely agree. Pargo isn't going to be giving up major minutes for a one an done kid. Gabby would only delay Meech's development too. We've got a stable full of guards. If Hill were to reconsider that would be fine, but I don't see GU in his future either.

Coug Tracks
10-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Gaddy is looking at UCLA and UW at this point per Condotta's blog.

Link: http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/huskyhoops/index.html#33574

Solomon Hill's Father indicated he was going to look again at the schools he was interested in this summer:

"We're going to open up the recruitment, check out a couple of schools locally; USC, Kentucky, Washington State, Washington, Miami and just all the schools that were recruiting him earlier."

Crawford says that his son will meet with coaches from USC on Saturday.

http://arizona.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=867570

Moser is still tripping to UA this weekend but is open to UW and Oregon among others.

It doesn't appear GU is on the early radar but all this just shook out. Nothing says it all won't change over the next week or two.

ZagManFan
10-25-2008, 06:22 AM
I completely agree. Pargo isn't going to be giving up major minutes for a one an done kid. Gabby would only delay Meech's development too. We've got a stable full of guards. If Hill were to reconsider that would be fine, but I don't see GU in his future either.

Yea, that's what I was trying to say, but was too tired to say it. If Gaddy did come here, who's minutes does his steal? He will want to start right away and I like our starters this year.

A special group is what we have that can do special things this year. We do not need the headache of trying to find a 1 and done player minutes into our rotation (which depth wise is one of the best in the country).

There is no doubt that Gaddy is a great talent, but I see it as a distraction.

Gonezagaga
10-25-2008, 08:00 AM
I can guarantee you that Pargo would not lose one minute of playing time to Gaddy.:)

Zerogame
10-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Ya, it's pretty hard to play both high school and college at the same time.

BobZag
10-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Gaddy and Meech would be awesome.

Pargo? He'll be gone.

ZagAddict
10-25-2008, 09:30 AM
BZ - What percentage chance would you give Gaddy committing to the Zags? I can't help but hope...

BroncoZAG615
10-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Yea, that's what I was trying to say, but was too tired to say it. If Gaddy did come here, who's minutes does his steal? He will want to start right away and I like our starters this year.

A special group is what we have that can do special things this year. We do not need the headache of trying to find a 1 and done player minutes into our rotation (which depth wise is one of the best in the country).

There is no doubt that Gaddy is a great talent, but I see it as a distraction.

Can we just make it clear that Gaddy is a 2009 recruit. He will not affect Pargo's minutes and will not have to "steal" any minutes. We lose a ton of players next year. Getting Gaddy would only help us.

Can you please explain your distraction theory? He seems like a very good kid with a high basketball IQ that got trapped in a situation at Arizona that was never set. From all reports, Lute Olson is the one to blame because he is back and forth on whether to stay or go. Unless you can show me that Gaddy wants to make his commitment a huge spectacle, I think the distraction argument is completely off base.

Gaddy and Meech in the back court would be outstanding. Toss in Bouldin and Gibbs and I think next year could be special as well. Is it going to happen? No chance but it's fun to think about.

whatazag
10-25-2008, 10:07 AM
I can guarantee you that Pargo would not lose one minute of playing time to Gaddy.:)

You can't guarantee that. They may end up on the same NBA team some day.

ZagAddict
10-25-2008, 10:11 AM
No chance but it's fun to think about.

:( Why can't kids get beyond the BCS syndrome.

zagfan24
10-25-2008, 10:39 AM
:( Why can't kids get beyond the BCS syndrome.

3 straight final fours at UCLA probably helps ;)

zagster318
10-25-2008, 12:29 PM
3 straight final fours at UCLA probably helps ;)

I can understand kids wanting to play for UCLA, but Washington has done nothing the past couple of years.

MickMick
10-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Gaddy and Meech in the back court would be outstanding. Toss in Bouldin and Gibbs and I think next year could be special as well. Is it going to happen? No chance but it's fun to think about.

Gaddy and Meech would be a nightmare for opposing coaches. They would kill any press and the transition game would be back in high gear. Who cares about outside shooting when you can consistently blow by teams in the transition game? And if you put Gray out on wing, the outside shooting is plenty sufficient. Teams advance in post season with superior guard play. Gaddy, Meech, Gray, Bouldin would advance.

MDABE80
10-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Signing day is coming up. Maybe these kids will hold off. GU on TV with some high end victories might change some minds. I think the kids on the westside have been poisoned by the views of those influential people over there.....media, coaches at many levels. Our one and one deals in NCAA really mean a lot to kids who think they have another level in them.

Sad to say but I do think the only way GU get's back on the list of high end recruits is to get a high ranking (check), media let's people know it ( unchecked), win some big OOC games (unchecked), and get further in the NCAA beyond 1 game.

What amazes me is how GU is so highly ranked going into this season and few NW media types aren't promoting it. This matters! Win those BIG OOC games and that matters! DO it on national TV and it matters more! If GU has any chance at these avaiable recruits, GU must reprove how good the program is.

Coug Tracks
10-25-2008, 01:35 PM
I can understand kids wanting to play for UCLA, but Washington has done nothing the past couple of years.

UW is close to home. He might even be close to one or more players already on the team. It's not a bad backup plan for Gaddy although it appears UCLA is ahead.

Ezag
10-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Man, Gaddy can kiss my A** unless he decides to come here then I'll have to return the favor!:D