PDA

View Full Version : Guard the 3!

zagfever86
03-11-2007, 11:09 PM
Coach Few should be focusing on this all week at practice. This Indiana team likes to shoot the 3, especially Rodrick Wilmont. Micah should be guarding him and I think thats the key to victory.

McZag
03-12-2007, 07:36 AM
They will shoot the 3-ball all night. That's what they do. I won't be surprised if they put up 25+ 3's Thursday night.

beatProgram
03-12-2007, 07:45 AM
If Few is determined to keep his team running a zone defense then he's going to have to pull out the same junk scheme that he did against San Diego.

When the set was Pargo/Bouldin, PMAC, Downs, Pendo, and Kuso where PMAC was the rover on DeRogatis they completely shut down the perimeter.

I'd rather they spend all week working on man-to-man defense though. If they try to extend the zone to cover the arc I think Indiana will just punish them for it in the lane.

If we hang around in that bloody 2-3 or 3-2 zone all day against this team I think we're almost certain to lose, and we'll see Indiana's guards go for career nights from deep.

TM27
03-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Live by the 3 and hopefully die by the 3....Indiana is at is best when their 3 guards are hitting the three and after teams extend the defense they feed White down low. On the defensive side of the ball they hold their opponenents to 30% from the behind the arc and 42% overall. This is an interesting match up for GU.

beatProgram
03-12-2007, 08:06 AM
I'm expecting to see a lot of dribble penetration from the top of the key by Pargo, a lot of baseline maneuvers from Bouldin, and some daggers tossed down in the defenders face by downs, and some seriously unsuspecting clutch points drilled in by Pendo.

My biggest fear is that Few is going to do the thing he seems to do every time NCAA tourney time comes around and try to funnel the whole offense through the player who's "supposed" to be the runaway shooter of the bunch.

If the team makes the move to center their whole scheme around "get the ball to Raivio" like they did for the middle block of the season I don't think Indiana is going to have any trouble completely shutting him down.

If anything I expect that's what all those Indiana fans are so confident about, and probably just haven't seen the teamwork that just exploded all over the court the last several games.

I feel like GU ABSOLUTELY has the guys to win this game, and this time around it's almost entirely on Few to orchestrate them to a win.

CDC84
03-12-2007, 08:37 AM
GU needs to approach this game like they did SCU in the 2nd half of the WCC title game. They must guard the 3 point line, but at the same time, not lose track of DJ White in the middle.

siliconzag
03-12-2007, 08:59 AM
[My biggest fear is that Few is going to do the thing he seems to do every time NCAA tourney time comes around and try to funnel the whole offense through the player who's "supposed" to be the runaway shooter of the bunch.

If the team makes the move to center their whole scheme around "get the ball to Raivio" like they did for the middle block of the season I don't think Indiana is going to have any trouble completely shutting him down.

[/QUOTE]

Great comment. Here is a time when Mark Few can step up to the challenge. Many of us felt that we would be lucky to get where we are, after Memphis, some began to hope that we could hang in there with anyone. We will soon know which end of that spectrum is correct.

I agree with the idea that the Zags are at their best, as they were in 99 when you couldn't predict where the scoring would come from. Imagine the scenario that Pendo, Ravio, Bouldin, and Downs all shoot> 50% from 3 point land. The Hoosiers will be toast for the second year in a row, at the hands of the Zags. On the other hand, we do need some stops. The bible says "...he who lives by the three, dies by the three." Therefore it is prophesized. We already know. And those Bruins better look out for Weber State, because the way they've been playin, they could lose to anybody including us on Saturday.

Sili