PDA

View Full Version : OT: Lute Olson stepping down

MBZags
10-23-2008, 07:56 AM
Dick Vitale is reporting on ESPN Radio that Lute Olson is stepping down. Arizona will be searching for a new head coach, but one of the assistants has been named the interim head coach.

GUZagDenver
10-23-2008, 08:21 AM
The assistant is Mike Dunlap, who was with the Nuggets for the past couple of years and was with D2 power Metro State before that. the interesting thing about this is I know that there have been a lot of U of A fans that are convinced that Mark Few is their next coach. I was in Phoenix 2 years ago when we played Texas down there, and their fans would not leave it alone. I am optimistic that Few doesn't want this job, but you never know. It's a big time program.

rennis
10-23-2008, 08:27 AM
It's been rumored for many many years that one of the few jobs Coach Few would consider leaving Gonzaga for is the post at Arizona. Hope it's just that.

CDC84
10-23-2008, 08:29 AM
http://arizona.rivals.com/

Rivals is reporting that Lute is stepping down.

Dunlap is one of the great basketball minds in the game today, and I think Zona is going to give him a legit chance. The problem is with recruiting. He has almost no experience recruiting at the D-1 level, and the program lost Josh Pastner in the offseason. I don't think it's a done deal that the program is going to continue to bring in guys like Chase Budinger.

I also expect to see Abdul Gaddy decommit and go with UCLA.

El Voce
10-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Let The Mark Few Rumors begin!

GUZagDenver
10-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Dunlap really is a great coach. My best friend played for him at Metro State on the D2 final four teams and swears by him. Hopefully he will do a great job and get the head coaching job.

BobZag
10-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Well this will sure make the Zags-Cats game in Phoenix interesting.

CDC84
10-23-2008, 09:00 AM
If you talk to people within the coaching profession, they will consistently tell you that Dunlap is one of the great basketball clinicians that we have. Coaches from all over this country, including many well respected D-1 coaches, attend his clinics and speak very, very highly of him.

ZagNative
10-23-2008, 09:02 AM
Well this will sure make the Zags-Cats game in Phoenix interesting.
Wow. I guess! I wonder what the chances are that the permanent successor isn't selected by then ....

trzag
10-23-2008, 09:06 AM
I've attended many Dunlap practices and clinics over the years. He is one of the best coaches in the country. No question about it. I was able to spend some time with him at a clinic in New Mexico and he spoke about his in home visit with Abdul Gaddy. I feel he a lot to do with Gaddy recommitting to Arizona. If given the opportunity Dunlap will do amazing things at Arizona.

CDC84
10-23-2008, 09:25 AM
That's an interesting tidbit about Dunlap and Gaddy. Maybe Adbul will stay put......

BobZag
10-23-2008, 09:37 AM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/804149.html

When reached via text message Thursday morning, Scout.com asked if Olson’s retirement would impact his decision, Abdul Gaddy responded, “Yes it does.”

nonzagzag
10-23-2008, 10:43 AM
anybody know if Gaddy's other top schools have 09 schollies left?

Kiddwell
10-23-2008, 10:44 AM
If Solomon Hill reopens his recruitment, are the Zags interested?

:]

spokanebruin
10-23-2008, 10:51 AM
http://arizona.rivals.com/

Rivals is reporting that Lute is stepping down.

Dunlap is one of the great basketball minds in the game today, and I think Zona is going to give him a legit chance. The problem is with recruiting. He has almost no experience recruiting at the D-1 level, and the program lost Josh Pastner in the offseason. I don't think it's a done deal that the program is going to continue to bring in guys like Chase Budinger.

I also expect to see Abdul Gaddy decommit and go with UCLA.

Hope you are right...We badly need a guard in the 09' class. Snaer is a long shot.

ZagAddict
10-23-2008, 11:36 AM
And the saga at UofA continues with Lute Olson and the Wildcats. I feel terrible for the kids that expected the stability and success that UofA was synonomous with in the 90's and early 2000 years. The UofA program is definitely in distress with Lute at the helm right now. If I were a recruit, I wouldn't touch that program with a 10ft pole. I wonder what Abdul Gaddy, Mike Moser, and Solomon Hill will do... early signing period is coming up soon.

I would love another shot at Solomon Hill. He would be a terrific addition to the '09 class for GU. I certainly wouldn't turn down Abdul Gaddy either, but I like what Meech brings at PG for the future... I think the PG position is in good hands. It will be interesting to see what happens... :)

IronLions
10-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Should be interesting what names are mentioned to replace him, and what happens to all the recruits. For the time being glad LMU alumni is Mike Dunlap is in charge. :)

ZagSlug
10-23-2008, 12:09 PM
I don't even know who Lute is anymore.

I can't remember the last time I considered him as an iconic college coach.

GUZagDenver
10-23-2008, 12:36 PM
So true. I have always thought Lute Olson was a greatly overrated college coach. He is a great recruiter, but not a great strategist and philisophical coach. He has a great record, but to only win 1 national title with the amount of talent in that program is absurd. Just look at the amount of talent in the NBA from Arizona. I can't even imagine what a coach like Coach K or Mark Few could do with talent like that.

siliconzag
10-23-2008, 12:57 PM
almost anticlimactic. I wonder if he is worn down by life's recent nasty blows. Poor guy has had a lot to deal with, and he has been disappointed by some of the young men he has recruited as well. Such is the life of a big time D1 coach.

In putting this all in perspective, I think Dana Altman at Creighton, when placed in a similar situation that Mark could eventually face, made the right call. After being flown down to Arkansas to accept a big raise, and a lot of hog calling hoopla, he asked himself on the way out of his introduction to the fans and alumni, "what am I doing?!" Then he asked the pilot if he wouldn't mind taking him back to where his heart and soul were, to Omaha. So he returned to the people who loved him and most importantly the school that he had grown to love. He sleeps better at night. And his team, while not as lofty as the Zags, well, they are going to be something to reckon with. For sure.

Mark Few would be crazy to go to Arizona. And more so, should, by some miracle of the Saints above, the Zags manage to win it all.

Here is a link to the Altman story

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1921

Sili

Section 116
10-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Here's the report on Lute Olson from the local newspaper:

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/ss/frontpage/100496.php

cjm720
10-23-2008, 01:57 PM
sportsline.com had an article online this week about how Lute was excited abou the season and his energy level this year was high. there were several player quotes that eluded to him seeminlgy happier this year compared to last.

I guess not...

Anyways...GO ZAGS!!!!!!!

CDC84
10-23-2008, 02:26 PM
The basic problem with Lute is that he should’ve retired 5 years ago. I have always liked Arizona until recent years, and I remember the days when he was a first rate coach in all phases. His demise reminds me so much of what happened with Tark at Fresno State. When coaches hit the hill, they start getting lazy, and they start failing to pay attention to detail. The whole situation with Lute asking his boosters to financially support the AAU Cactus Classic - an AAU event which had Arizona recruits participating in it - is just one of several lapses that he’s had. The real troubling issues revolve around recruiting and team discipline. Arizona’s recruiting operation has really suffered in recent years from Lute’s inability to fill out a roster with quality players. It’s one thing to land a guy like Chase Budinger, but you have to surround him with quality, team-first players. That takes time and effort. You have to really get to know the kids and their families. The Cats have had an alarming amount of headcases in recent years who have wrecked teams: Salim Stoudamire, Chris Rodgers, Hassan Adams, Marcus Williams, etc. And they probably avoided another headcase when Brandon Jennings headed off to Europe. You used to not see guys like Chris Rodgers at Arizona; you used to see guys like Steve Kerr. Every year it’s been the same thing: ”It’ll get better when this guy or that guy finally gets out of the program.” But it just hasn’t gotten better. I really felt that Lute should've retired for good last season and just let O'Neill take it over. O'Neill put a ton of time in last year trying to get the team to play defense and show some fire on the court, but as soon as Lute announced he was coming back for the 2008/09 season - an announcement that was made just before the NCAA tournament - many of the players treated O'Neill as if he were a substitute teacher that they didn't have to listen to anymore.

BobZag
10-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Dean Smith won 2 championships at UNC with greater talent than Lute had at UA, and both were darn near given to him at the end (Fred Brown mistaking Worthy as a Hoya; Weber calling time-out...).

In the eyes of 17 y/o recruits, Lute is a god.

MDABE80
10-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Sili: good post. Lute and his Iowa kids used to stop at Eppley on their way west. Seems like we sat next to each other on quit a few of those trips. Just a great guy back then. I do think Sili's right..........just wore down by life's issues. CDC's right though...Lute should have packed it in years ago. I'm sure he wondered (moreso after Bobbi's death) what else he was going to do in his life. He continued in a comfort zone and chose to continue...who wouldn't?

Time to move on for him. He'll be revered and the kids do love him. It's a tough time ahead dealing with the question that kept him coaching. If I was AZ, I'd seriously think about some post that helps the program but he'd have to keep his hands off management of the team and program. Hard for him to do I bet. Few's been mentioned for years as the guy in waiting.......not as much a Livengood's old bud from WSU .ie Kelvin.........who likely shouldn't be allowed anywhere near coaching for a long time IMO.

I think UA;s assistant is a good pick. SOunds like he's the one to take the program where he wants......and he's there already. Like it or not, we're "stuck" with Few. ;)

cjm720
10-24-2008, 07:59 AM
Quote from Olson: "At this stage in my life, I want to devote my time to my children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, family and friends. I look forward to watching Wildcat basketball and visiting with my colleagues in the coaching profession. It is time to pass the program on to a younger staff, to transition the university to the next generation of basketball."

Great-grandchildren? Yeah, I'd say it's about time to retire!