PDA

View Full Version : Pargo and Bouldin on Top 40 Guard List

MississppiZag
10-22-2008, 01:33 PM
By Gary Parrish-

1. Stephen Curry (Davidson)

Why he's here: Curry averaged 25.9 points last season and became the smiling face of college basketball thanks to a run to the Elite Eight. Consequently, any doubts about whether he could dominate power programs were buried forever, and the rest of the nation must now accept that the sport's best guard resides in the Southern Conference.

2. Darren Collison (UCLA)

Why he's here: Collison is a playmaking, defensive-minded point guard who has been to three Final Fours. He averaged 14.5 points per game last season, and if he's good this season he could lead UCLA to the Final Four again.

3. Ty Lawson (North Carolina)

Why he's here: Lawson isn't a great shooter, but his speed and ability to get to the rim make that a non-issue. He's the sparkplug that makes the nation's best team run, and when they run they run really, really fast.

4. Patrick Mills (Saint Mary's)

Why he's here: Mills helped his reputation this summer playing for the Australian national team. He scored 13 points against Team USA and should put at least twice that much on more than one WCC opponent this season.

5. Jrue Holiday (UCLA)

Why he's here: Holiday is the reason UCLA won't miss Russell Westbrook all that much. The former McDonald's All-American will be an impact player from Day 1 and help Darren Collison form one of the best backcourts in America.

6. Tyreke Evans (Memphis)

Why he's here: Evans' game is suited for John Calipari's dribble-drive motion offense, and he's likely to be the Tigers' leading scorer. After that, he'll enter the NBA Draft and presumably go in the lottery.

7. Jonny Flynn (Syracuse)

Why he's here: Far as pure point guards go, Flynn might be the best. He has most of the natural instincts needed for the position, and now he just needs to take the Orange back to the NCAA tournament and snap this two-year drought.

8. A.J. Price (Connecticut)

Why he's here: Price was full of problems early in his career; brain surgery cost him one year and the theft of laptops another. Still, he has recovered better than expected, evidence being how the UConn point guard averaged 14.5 points and 5.8 assists last season before tearing his ACL in the NCAA tournament.

9. Sherron Collins (Kansas)

Why he's here: The nation will get to see how good Collins really is now that Russell Robinson and Mario Chalmers are out of the way. The guess here is that he's pretty damn good, and more minutes will equal bigger numbers.

10. Jeremy Pargo (Gonzaga)

Why he's here: Pargo has established himself as a dominant, get-to-the-rim point guard and helped the Zags solidify their status among elite programs. He averaged 12.1 points and 6.0 assists last season to earn WCC Player of the Year honors.

MZ- Matt Bouldin was also at number 38. Gary will have the top 30 wings/forwards tomorrow. I have we will be seeing Mr. Daye somewhere in that top 5 or 10. Then the top 30 big men will be revealed on Friday. Josh will be seen on that list. All in all, we should have at least 4, possibly 5(Downs or Gray) players in Parrish' top 100 players. Going to be a good year.:)

Also, Jeremy Pargo made an appearance on The Bleach Report's top 20 guards rankings. He is getting plenty of recognition this year.

a4zag
10-22-2008, 01:56 PM
I firmly believe that Pargo is finally getting his due as one of the dominant guards in the NCAA. He has worked his but off for this year and I am excited to see what his leadership will add to his already awesome game.

Congrats to Bouldin as well, I look forward to great things from them both this year.

BobZag
10-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Gray! Gray! Gray!

Next year he'll start getting his due recognition in the preseason and beyond.

freezer12
10-22-2008, 02:07 PM
:link: please.

MississppiZag
10-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Gray will be a top 10 guard next year. He will have a breakout year(12-15 ppg) and most of the guards will be moving on to the NBA or graduation. Gray will get his due. He has three years to do so. I truly believe that he will be an All American before he packs his bags for the NBA. Hard to pass up on that great of a shooter and quality defender. Like i said he has three years to improve. It all starts this year.

Sportsline.com, college bball page.

cggonzaga
10-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Like i said he has three years to improve.

That may be wishful thinking Miss. I'd be surprised if he was around for his senior season. I know it was only a scrimmage but the way Gray looked makes me believe he could explode this season.

MississppiZag
10-22-2008, 04:14 PM
True. Something, i am not sure what, tells me is the type of kid that will stick around for at least 3 years. I hope i am right.

SteeleMan
10-22-2008, 06:13 PM
:link: please.

here it is:
http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/11054245

CanadianZagFan
10-23-2008, 06:42 AM
I am looking for big things from Pargo this year. I think the NBA draft camps really took his game to the next level and that will translate to the NCAA this year.

kitzbuel
10-24-2008, 04:49 AM
I think it is pretty impressive the that the eight team WCC can place two guards on this list. This isn't your father's WCC!