PDA

View Full Version : '09 Recruits

ZagAddict
10-20-2008, 06:17 PM
As the LOI signing day approaches and the Zag season begins, I am getting the feeling that the Zags will go into the Spring signing period with 3 '09 scholarships to offer. The Zags have 2 great recruits with Arop and Dower, but there are still some holes to fill... primarliy down low.

With Davies and Elliot recently falling off the Zags' radar, it looks like these are the '09 recruits mentioned on this board that we are still courting:

Cliff Dixon - PF (Juco)
Daequon Montreal - PF (Juco)
Shane Harris-Tunks - C/PF
Jeff Reid - SG

I'm sure the Zag coaching staff will continue to round out an already solid '09 recruiting class, but I don't see us getting a commitment from another '09 recruit before the spring. Anyone else think we'll see another '09 commitment before the spring?

CDC84
10-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Unless they have someone hidden under wraps, which is entirely possible, it sure looks like they'll be waiting until the spring. They need to wait and see how the Bol Kong situation plays out. That's one scholarship. Secondly, they have a team that might make a big run in March. There are an increasing amount of HS players that are waiting until the spring to make school decisions, and it's possible that GU might be able to snag one of them. Then you have your jucos.

I'm also a long time advocate of holding on to one schoolie per year as it enables you to have one in case a high level D-1 transfer emerges. If nothing emerges, give it to a walk on.

hondo46
10-20-2008, 08:35 PM
"Unless they have someone hidden under wraps" and they almost always do have just such a person well under wraps.

BroncoZAG615
10-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Perhaps somebody like Guy-Marc Michel at NIC?

That would be my guess as of right now.

Kraziness in the Kennel was Michel's second visit to Spokane (the first coming during Brandon Davies weekend). He seems to love the program and was absolutely having a blast at Kraziness. I don't think we have any great interest in any high school player anymore.

I would not be surprised if Montreal and Michel round out Gonzaga's recruiting class.

You can cross Jeff Reid off the list of guys we are showing serious interest to. That ship has sailed.

Vizagra
10-21-2008, 08:02 AM
http://www.nic.edu/athletics/index.asp?area=Men's%20Basketball&subarea=profile&season=2008&id=642

With his most inspirational person being Ronny Turiaf, I'd say it looks pretty promising.

BobZag
10-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Michel is 2010, though. Just a frosh at NIC. Unless he doesn't need his AA, he'll have to play next year at NIC as well.

Cross off Harris-Tunks, too.

I think we'll see two November commitments.

See CDC's post. Unknowns under wraps somewhere.

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Secondly, they have a team that might make a big run in March. There are an increasing amount of HS players that are waiting until the spring to make school decisions, and it's possible that GU might be able to snag one of them.

Excellent point. A sales pitch to a recruit would be a lot more effective if the player just watched your team win a whole grip of games in the post-season. For example, a Sweet 16 run last year may have helped in courting guys like Jeff Taylor or Taylor King.

ZagAddict
10-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Michel is 2010, though. Just a frosh at NIC. Unless he doesn't need his AA, he'll have to play next year at NIC as well.

Cross off Harris-Tunks, too.

I think we'll see two November commitments.

See CDC's post. Unknowns under wraps somewhere.

Wow, with Jeff Reid and Harris-Tunks off the radar, I certainly hope the staff has a few recruits under wraps. BZ, are the 2 November commitments you refer to Sam Dower and Manny Arop? Or are there potentially other commitments coming in November for '09?

I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing 2010 verbals before we hear anything else from '09 recruits. I'm holding out hope that a deep run in March will turn some heads and strengthen this recruiting class. A blue chip transfer would be welcomed, but that doesn't really do anything for the Zags next year.

BobZag
10-21-2008, 02:14 PM
I'd expect two additional commits to go with Arop and Dower.

SunDevilGolfZag
10-21-2008, 08:53 PM
It's a big world out there; always interesting to see who comes in under wraps.

OZZag
10-22-2008, 02:40 PM
FWIW my take is one JUCO PF/C and one big wing player.

MississppiZag
10-22-2008, 02:51 PM
We have options as far as the JUCO PF/C, but i have no idea if there is a wing that we are interested and vice versa. I would love to have both, but the JUCO seems more likely, as of now. Then again Kong comes to mind. Kong, Arop, Dower, and Michel/Montreal would be wonderful. Not sure about Kong. That is something we will have to wait and see.

MickMick
10-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Hang on to Kong's slot until the bitter end.

ZagAddict
10-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Bol Kong seems to be exactly what this recruiting class needs. I'm stilll holding out hope that he is granted a visa and is able to attend GU during the second semester. He is worth the wait...

Montreal would be a nice compliment to Sam Dower and add some depth and experience to the front court immediately. It has been indicated on this board that several schools are after his services and that he intends to wait until the spring to make a decision.

I have a feeling that there will be a couple of potential transfers this spring ala Taylor King and Alex Stepheson. With the way BCS programs recruit kids on top of one another, there will always be a talented transfer available. A deep run in March would put GU in a better position to attract one of these high-profile transfers.

Each recruiting class seeems to become more and more suspensful. I have no idea how the '09 class is going to shape up.