PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga Impresses Andy Katz

MississppiZag
10-20-2008, 11:47 AM
From ESPN Analyst Andy Katz-

Gonzaga's scrimmage was by far the most efficient of any of the schools that we showed during the four-hour marathon. The Zags were impressive with their athleticism, and the speed and quickness of guards Jeremy Pargo and Demetri Goodson was obvious. Goodson drew rave reviews during workouts by assistant coach Ray Giacoletti. The freshman looks like he can deliver similar speed off the bench when Pargo isn't playing. Clearly he'll have to dial it down a bit when the game is in the halfcourt, and it's unclear how he'll handle more of a halfcourt game. A year ago, Josh Heytvelt was hyped after his suspension ended. But Heytvelt was never the same off an injury-plagued summer. He wasn't healthy all summer again, either, with a foot injury. But he certainly looked like he was ready to rumble in the middle and get to the line during the scrimmage. If Heytvelt is a factor for the Zags, that makes them much more of a deep March threat.

MZ- I think we all know that Josh will be ready for the season opener as well as Daye. They got about 37 days to be fully healthy for the Old Spice Classic. I am positive they will be.

gozagswoohoo
10-20-2008, 12:03 PM
A Pretty Much Totally Awesome review. I feel the same as him.

I don't know about yans...but something tells me we're gonna be good this season.... ;)

zagfan07
10-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Did anyone watch the Davidson scrimmage they showed for a while on ESPNU? They looked terrible. I'm sure it had to do with them practicing for the first time, but I think Stephen Curry is going to really miss Jason Richards this year. He was so good at getting him the ball in a place where he was able to attack the defense. Everyone's so high on Curry right now because of what he did last March, and deservedly so, but I think Richards was the real reason they were able to make that deep run. I'm going to be interested in seeing if he's still able to get the easy buckets to get him in the flow of the game this year that Richards was so good at last year.

LongIslandZagFan
10-20-2008, 12:35 PM

Gonzaga's scrimmage was by far the most efficient of any of the schools that we showed during the four-hour marathon. The Zags were impressive with their athleticism, and the speed and quickness of guards Jeremy Pargo and Demetri Goodson was obvious. Goodson drew rave reviews during workouts by assistant coach Ray Giacoletti. The freshman looks like he can deliver similar speed off the bench when Pargo isn't playing. Clearly he'll have to dial it down a bit when the game is in the halfcourt, and it's unclear how he'll handle more of a halfcourt game. A year ago, Josh Heytvelt was hyped after his suspension ended. But Heytvelt was never the same off an injury-plagued summer. He wasn't healthy all summer again, either, with a foot injury. But he certainly looked like he was ready to rumble in the middle and get to the line during the scrimmage. If Heytvelt is a factor for the Zags, that makes them much more of a deep March threat.

MZ- I think we all know that Josh will be ready for the season opener as well as Daye. They got about 37 days to be fully healthy for the Old Spice Classic. I am positive they will be.

:link:

sittingon50
10-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Think I read somewhere along the way that Curry is going to play much more point this year as he prepares for the NBA.

CDC84
10-20-2008, 01:07 PM
At the same time, some NBA scouts are worried about Curry playing at the point because one of his greatest strengths as a player revolves around his ability to move without the basketball.

More:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=473853

The pros are concerned, also. "I'm a little bit worried about the transition he's trying to make because it's such a difficult one," says an NBA Eastern Conference scout. "It's going to take away from what he did so well."

Section 116
10-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Here's the link to Andy Katz's blog re the Zags et al:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3654019&name=katz_andy

a4zag
10-21-2008, 08:55 PM

Josh looks better prepared and more fit than I think I have ever seen him. It seems he is finally taking basketball as seriously as we could hope and I see him poised for one great year that defines him as one of the great big men in college basketball. A track I thought he was on two years ago.