PDA

View Full Version : Geno's

MBZags
10-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Has anyone ever been to this Italian place on Hamilton by Safeway? I have never seen anyone go in or come out of there in my three years here, kinda weird. Anyway, what's the food/atmosphere like?

TheBeast
10-19-2008, 03:35 PM
That's weird. I never saw anyone come or go either, and neither did my friends. We never saw nothin'. Now, unless you have a warrant...

Birddog
10-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Back in the day, it was a pretty good neighborhood place. That was before it was called Geno's though. It remained pretty good through chef Giuseppe Cuozo's tenure. He was the first chef when it opened as "Augusts" back in the mid 60's. I was there last in '99 and was disappointed FWIW.

Vizagra
10-23-2008, 01:54 PM
I tell you what, I never ate there while I attended GU, but have a couple times since. Their baked lasagna (I think this is what it is) is pretty good, minestroni soup is good as well. Pretty mafioso looking inside and not much updating since the 70's probably.

If you haven't ate tehre, you aren't missing much though.

DrDrivel
10-23-2008, 05:42 PM
They have a universal sauce. I'm sure if you went through the kitchen, you'd see a 30-gallon ### bubbling away with a weak, all-purpose sauce that goes into everything and doesn't taste much like anything.

Geno's ought to be reinvented because it's in a good location for the expanding perimeter of campus. And it could easily brand itself as a local large-party sort of place - as it stands, groups of students have to go to a place like the Onion or Chili's or whatever, all of them a decent drive or hike from campus. Or an after-hours location for quick, delicious food on weekends. That'd be a terrific change of pace.

MedZag
10-23-2008, 09:38 PM
I lived behind Safeway and walked by Geno's every day to and from campus. My housemates and I never saw the place open. Then one day... it happened. It was open. My roommate called me and the three of us went.

Walk in... 4 very large italian-ish men sat in the corner chain-smoking. Vizagra is right, classic 70's look. Anyways, have to wait 15 minutes for the woman to come out of the kitchen and seat us. She hands us menus with no prices on it. We don't bother to ask. I order the spaghetti cause hey, if there's any way to judge an italian place.

Probably the worst spaghetti I ever had. Cost $10.50, I didn't complain, probably because of the large chain-smoking italian-ish guys in the corner.

About 4 weeks later as I was walking by I noticed one of the cars had had its doors, windows, and bumpers busted up by what looked like a bat.

Funny enough I thought the Mafioso stuff was mainly stuff we made up to keep ourselves entertained, but several years back my cousin dated a guy from Portland with legit mafia ties. They went to restaurants where things were "on the arm," he bought her expensive jewerly, and one thine they went to a wedding in spokane. The reception was at... you guessed it... Geno's.

Zag79
10-26-2008, 10:48 PM
genos is ok, but if you want authentic italian try Ferrraros Italian in the valley. my father in law opened it up this last summer and its packed every night. ya even get the spumoni ice cream after dinner. :D

Oldsport
11-04-2008, 06:06 PM
As an old guy that loves Italian food I have eaten at almost all the Italian restaurants in and around Spokane. Interested in the new Ferraro's restaurant, my wife and I went back in July. Great food! Great wine and beer selection! Service great! Now to top that off is the fact it is a great value. We have returned about every other week sense our first trip. When you add up all the reasons, Ferraro's Italian is a winner!

ZagNut08
11-05-2008, 08:28 PM
I know I always joked that it is nothing but a mafia front...never bothered to check it out. Heard the food was lousy and expensive