PDA

View Full Version : Teams you like come march...

bayzag09
03-11-2007, 09:13 PM
We all, for the most part, are rooting for Gonzaga come this march, but what others out there do you like? Personally, I'm pulling for:

Texas A&M: Acie Law has that last second shot skill, which makes close games exciting.

Wazzu: Hate to say it, but I am pullling for them. Rep Washington

Creighton: Could see the jays sneaking by nevada and memphis, thus making some serious noise this year. I believe they started top 25 as well....weird.

Anyone playing UCLA or Ohio State: Obvious why I would want UCLA to go down...and OSU because if I have to hear another person talk about Oden I'm going to puke.

how about you?

TheZagPhish
03-11-2007, 09:22 PM
...if I have to hear another person talk about Oden I'm going to puke. how about you?

Just puked. Thanks.

ZaggyZaggerson
03-11-2007, 09:27 PM
The sight of UCLA Bruins uniforms, especially with Ben How-in-the-land-did-I-beat-GU roaming the sidelines, makes me ralph. Afflalo is the only Bruin I can stand. He was class when Ammo was heartbroken. Oden as in OOOOOO-verated. More big-man hype. Open wide..here comes the stew.:p

bayzag09
03-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Oden as in OOOOOO-verated. More big-man hype. Open wide..here comes the stew.:p

THANK YOU! Its like when he misses the announcers don't even recognize it as a shot attempt. "Oden goes up.....and a GREAT rebound by Wisconsin"

lothar98zag
03-11-2007, 09:50 PM
I'll be rooting for as many non-BCS teams and lower seeds as humanly possible. Other than that I'll cheer for...

Maryland - one of my favorite "other teams"
WSU - gotta pull for the WA teams
Texas - I want to see Durant play in college as much as possible

I'll root against -

Duke, fUCLA, & Kansas's coach, Bill Self(ish)

CDC84
03-11-2007, 09:52 PM
The team who I'd like to see do well in this tourney is Memphis. Lots of people are picking them to bomb out in the 2nd round - C-USA hasn't prepared them for the NCAA Tourney, etc.

I think this team could surprise some people. They play much more as a team this year. Mark Few thinks so as well.

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
03-11-2007, 10:03 PM
WSU - easy, local, great story, props to Inland northwest Hoops

Memphis - Classy fans, great series

Virginia - Balls to come to the Kennel

Creighton - big time soft-spot wish them the best

Marquette - gotta pull for the Wisconsin Blackrobes!

Hate list....UW - oh yeah, don't need to waste the effort

Florida - Billy's hair hasn't moved in 5 years, and one more "cribs" special on their damned apartment and I'll puke and a I can't stand Noah!

TheZagPhish
03-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Florida - Billy's hair hasn't moved in 5 years...

Bob's Big Boy had a more pliable 'do.
http://static.flickr.com/47/152393385_8f52789d98.jpg

sanfranzagsguy20
03-11-2007, 10:17 PM
i will root against florida for sure...last season i was in their corner against ucla for obvious reasons but im sorry noah should have come out last season he cost himself millions and now he seems slightly overrated...the guy is still a solid player but imo he isnt even the best player on his own team...i believe horford is a better player now and a better prospect in the future...plus the guy said today after florida won the sec championship and locked up the number one overall seed that they are "disrespected"....im sorry but thats just pathetic...ive got florida bowing out to wisconsin in the elite eight....hope it happens sooner!

normally i dont vent like this but something had to be said about florida being disrespected....come on are you serious noah

demian
03-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Winthrop. I have them beating Notre Dame and Oregon. This may have already been posted but the guys on this team were sophomores when GU played them in the first round and should have lost had Ammo not bailed us out. Last year as a #15 or #14 seed they had Tennesse beat and the Vols hit a miracle three pointer in the corner at the buzzer. Craig Bradshaw and Torrell Martin are big time players. These guys have been building for this. This is their breakout year.

soonerterp
03-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Maryland. DUH!!!! And welcome back to the Tourney ... two years is too long, and you've GOT to love the Terps' freshman guards, Greivis Vasquez and Eric Hayes.

And maybe Texas A&M. I have Acie Law pencilled in for NPOY awards, and if Billy Gillespie DOESN'T win NCOY, someone should be fired. Gillespie isn't just a good coach, he's given new life to basketball at a football school. Don't forget that Gillespie was a pretty good coach when he was at UTEP (a school with a very significant chapter in NCAA Tourney history) as well.

TerpZag
03-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Maryland. DUH!!!! And welcome back to the Tourney ... two years is too long, and you've GOT to love the Terps' freshman guards, Greivis Vasquez and Eric Hayes...

Well, soonerterp, which Maryland team can we expect to show up this week in Buffalo?

Will it be the Maryland team that beat Duke twice and beat North Carolina this season? Or will it be the Maryland team that lost twice to Miami (Fla)? What is your guess?

I don't want to see us lose Lothar as a Westcoast Terrapin fan with another lethargic performance by the Terps. We need all the help we can get out here!;)

RenoZag
03-12-2007, 02:15 PM
My dark horse to win it all is Georgetown. . .I realize being a # 2 seed isn't exactly a longshot, but I tend to think people are handing that bracket to UNC on a silver platter. I also think G'town's defense and bigs could give OSU and Florida a challenge.

I hope Creighton kicks UNR's arse all over New Orleans.

Likewise, I will be pulling hard for VCU vs. Duke, and Stanford against Pitino's Cardinals.

All the rest is madness. . .

gueastcoast
03-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Maryland because of Coach Williams.

Texas because of Durant.

T Tech because of (what's up?) Knight.

A&M because of Acie Law.

Notre Dame because they aren't getting the respect they deserve this year.

Memphis for the athleticism.

UVA for the guard play.

WSU for E. Washington.

The 16 seeds, so one can make history.

Against OSU because of Oden and the hype.

Against Louisville because they don't play team basketball.

Against UCLA...so many reasons.

Against Duke because there just isn't any other way to live.

Wolkster
03-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Oregon - Selfish reasons. I want them in the Final Four, so Ernie won't get fired in the near future, so they don't come sniffing around Few's direction.

WSU - I was bummed when Seth Davis immediately announced that Oral Roberts was his upset special. Didn't even give WSU 30 seconds to celebrate.

Texas - I pick them to go to the Final Four. They'll be fine as long as they don't play Kansas. A Durrant/Oden matchup in the Final Four would be extremely intriguing.

23dpg
03-12-2007, 03:03 PM
And maybe Texas A&M. I have Acie Law pencilled in for NPOY awards, and if Billy Gillespie DOESN'T win NCOY, someone should be fired. Gillespie isn't just a good coach, he's given new life to basketball at a football school. Don't forget that Gillespie was a pretty good coach when he was at UTEP (a school with a very significant chapter in NCAA Tourney history) as well.

Two points. You've misspelled Durant badly and no one should get fired when Bennett wins NCOY.

TexasZagFan
03-12-2007, 03:19 PM
The team who I'd like to see do well in this tourney is Memphis. Lots of people are picking them to bomb out in the 2nd round - C-USA hasn't prepared them for the NCAA Tourney, etc.

I think this team could surprise some people. They play much more as a team this year. Mark Few thinks so as well.

I like Memphis, too, but I'm bound to root against them in the first game. My daughter's a soph at UNT, and the campus and city of Denton is absolutely giddy.

Their joy takes me back to a not-too-distant time where we as Zag fans were pinching ourselves, because it was too good to be true.

Now, we gripe about late night games on ESPN, and focus on seeds, and our recruiting classes for the next 3 years. That's fun, of course, but let's enjoy the moment for what it is, and salute these fine young men that represent our beloved university.

I never dreamed that Gonzaga basketball would reach its current heights. We were thrilled to be in the hunt for the Big Sky title. We had fine players back then, such as Kenny Tyler, Willie Daigle, Stew Morrill, Greg Sten, Carl Minns, Bob McIver, to name just a few. In today's WCC, we'd be in the pack with the rest of the league.

For you "youngsters" out there, enjoy the ride, because you never know when the next bump in the road may occur. It can take just one injury, one academic ineligibility, one transfer, one busted taillight, etc. to knock you off course.

In the meantime, let's put on our dancing shoes AND HAVE SOME FUN!!!!

zaglawdad
03-12-2007, 03:23 PM
No one here even pulling for UCLA in the first round? I am. Love to see a UCLA vs ZAG rematch.

UberZagFan
03-12-2007, 03:43 PM
.ive got florida bowing out to wisconsin in the elite eight....hope it happens sooner!

I hope AZ takes them out in the second round.

Rooting for: Winthrop. Niagara. Salukis. Weber State(just would prefer no chance of a repeat). WSU

Memphis (because I like their style and if they take the NC GU can say they had them on the ropes).

Texas (because I believe in what Lothar says--I want to be treated to as many college games with Durant in them as possible).

But most of all aside from rooting for the GU Bulldogs, I'll be rooting for the GU Hoyas.

Against: Florida for all that has been said above.

UCLA. Oregon. Duke. No explanations needed.

Bocco
03-12-2007, 03:51 PM
For: Oregon - the better they do the more likely Ernie will stay.

Against: Notre Dame - they're complaining about having to come to Spokane.

NVzag
03-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Against Duke because there just isn't any other way to live.

:) :D :) :D

Rooting for (in no particular order):

UNC
Winthrop
Miami-Ohio
Georgetown
VA Commonwealth (x2 cuz they're playing d00k)
Weber St.
Oregon
Memphis

soonerterp
03-13-2007, 12:41 AM
Well, soonerterp, which Maryland team can we expect to show up this week in Buffalo?

Will it be the Maryland team that beat Duke twice and beat North Carolina this season? Or will it be the Maryland team that lost twice to Miami (Fla)? What is your guess?

I don't want to see us lose Lothar as a Westcoast Terrapin fan with another lethargic performance by the Terps. We need all the help we can get out here!;)

I'm thinking the Miami (FL) game in the ACC Tourney was some kind of hiccup. Remember when the Terps went home early from the 2002 ACC Tourney? They didn't lose another game all year if I recall right! I hope it was a wakeup call for them.

soonerterp
03-13-2007, 12:43 AM
Two points. You've misspelled Durant badly and no one should get fired when Bennett wins NCOY.

I seem to have fallen into a sarchasm.

Although -- Durant is a good player ... but DJ Augustin has something to do with Texas' success too.