PDA

View Full Version : Replacements for Home and Homes? UW/Sfrd

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
02-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Assuming we don't get Stanford and UW on the schedule for next year, (wonder why - after all they've done so well against GU.) Which two teams would you like to see as a home and home scheduled against the Zags? You can consider RPI impact and all that or just throw out your dream matchups for whatever reason.

Mine,

Creighton

(I know we'd just be killing each other's RPI - but I really like the program and think it would be a nice matchup with reasonable travel)

Florida State

Just for the heck of it - and again a program I like - we could dare each other as giant killers to knock each off in our own houses...no Arena - gotta be K2

WallaWallaZag
02-06-2007, 05:37 PM
well, we get memphis for two more years after this, but i definitely think we should extend this series out longer. both teams dominate subpar conferences, so we both need the big time matchup to generate interest during conference play. i would be happy to see a home 'n home against any of the pac10 teams other than the 2 bottom feeders (osu/asu). i think a series against nevada would be nice as they look like they are starting to build a top annual program too.

CDC84
02-06-2007, 06:01 PM
It is to my understanding that LSU and Gonzaga are in discussions for a home and home. I don't know where that stands right now.

This kind of topic is a tough deal to sort out because unless GU can get college gameday or something, they aren't likely to get a heavy hitter to agree to a home and home However, there are plenty of BCS schools that have shown a history of agreeing to such things. Stanford and Georgia are 2 such teams....I wish the GU/UGA thing was a true home and home that didn't utilize neutral courts. Some other potential teams (in no particular order):

1) Boston College - I believe GU was trying to get a home and home going at one point with BC, but they couldn't get the dates worked out. Maybe it's time to revisit it.

2) Mississippi State - they are always looking for home and homes versus good opponents because it's hard to bring teams into Starkville (remote location). They did one with Santa Clara a few years back.

3) DePaul - Wainwright is the kind of guy that would agree to it, and this would allow Gonzaga to give Pargo a "home game" in Chicago.

NVzag
02-06-2007, 06:01 PM
I wouldn't be that suprised to see Stanford renewed, altho Trent doesn't seem to like us that much.

Is Arizona ready to play us yet? I'd love to see that.

madness
02-06-2007, 06:04 PM
My absolute #1 preference = Georgetown...not only are they my East Coast team, it would be the perfect hard nosed competitor that will help Gonzaga develop (they have an amazing class coming in next year as well)

#2 = Marquette, love Tom Crean and the Jesuit connection

#3 = Louisville (Battle in Seattle) for Wilkins

#4 = Arizona/USC (more PAC 10 quality comp)

CDC84
02-06-2007, 06:08 PM
well, we get memphis for two more years after this, but i definitely think we should extend this series out longer. both teams dominate subpar conferences, so we both need the big time matchup to generate interest during conference play.

I totally agree, but only under one condition.....that the new series is a genuine home and home. I don't care if the Memphis' games are being held off campus....that arena last season was as load and nasty as most on campus facilities. Memphis needs Gonzaga every bit as we need them, and it should be an equal affair. If Calipari doesn't like it, tough, that ends it. Gonzaga needs to start insisting on more games being played at K2. Not in every circumstance, but certainly in this circumstance.

BTW...I like the Marquette idea as well.

juliezag
02-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Oregon, Nice little northwest competition.

ZagManFan
02-06-2007, 06:21 PM
1. Arizona

2. Wisconsin

3. Texas

23dpg
02-06-2007, 06:21 PM
1) UCLA

2) Arizona

3) Oregon

Non Pac Schools

1) Mich. St.

2) Florida

3) Duke

CDC84
02-06-2007, 06:30 PM
You can forget Oregon and GU. Not so long as Uncle Ernie is there.

NorthoftheBorder
02-06-2007, 06:37 PM
What's the story with Kent not wanting to play GU ?

CDC84
02-06-2007, 07:20 PM
What's the story with Kent not wanting to play GU ?

I think it is more mutual. There isn't much love between the two coaching staffs I'm afraid. I'll leave it at that.

ZagMania
02-06-2007, 07:48 PM
I remember reading something about a possible rematch between Duke and the Zags next year at MSG.. is this still a possibility? As a fan in New York I would love to see this again, with a different outcome of course.

TR11Zag
02-06-2007, 08:00 PM
All Jesuit schools.

Think the AD's could put it together?

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
02-06-2007, 08:28 PM
I've had the same thought in the past, there are enough that you could concoct a very cool competitive group of schools for a tournament - prayer in the locker room wouldn't even be an issue ;)

Nice little Mix?

Gonzaga
Georgetown
Marquette
St. Joseph’s
St. Louis
Xavier
Creighton
Boston College

zags422
02-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Pac Ten:

1) Washington...............oh wait.

2) UCLA......rematch time

3) Arizona

Others:

1) @ Nebraska..........selfish reasons

2) @ Creighton..............Jesuits and more self-viewing purpose

3) @ Missouri.............that's kinda close to Nebraska.

ZagNut08
02-07-2007, 05:31 AM
I would like to see us establish games with west coast opponents. This year we saw the downfalls of travel...our team got tired, and we lost some games we arguably should have won.

I would like to see us get some games going with: Texas, Arizona, SDSU. On the east I think Georgetown/BC would be a solid one - someone mentioned the idea of a Jesuit Tourney

gueastcoast
02-07-2007, 06:00 AM
1) Texas Tech (Knight vs. Few)

2) Southern Illinois (or any consistent middie to show the world life beyond BCS)

3) UConn (I can't imagine this happening in my, or shall I say Calhoun's, lifetime)

GDaleZag
02-07-2007, 06:02 AM
I have to agree with ZagNut that staying on the West Coast would be ideal. Teams like Nevada, Arizona, maybe Air Force? We could even go to the Midwest and pick up Creghton, Marquette, or any of the Big Ten teams, which i feel would be a big plus, but there conference is so hard anyway they have no need to schedule tough games away from home, out of conference. If we want to travel East, Georgetown, BC, Louisville, Villanova, Florida would all be fun.

omahazag
02-07-2007, 06:16 AM
I'd love to see GU and Creighton matchup...I stick up for the Zags all the time out here in Omaha and would love nothing more than for them to beat up on Creighton. Don't get me wrong, I love creighton, but they are distant second when/if it comes down to the two of them playing...

Other teams:

1. Marquette
2. Any Pac-10 School
3. Rematch with the dukies

brasszag
02-07-2007, 06:20 AM
Arizona and Georgetown (well known and a program back on the rise) would be my first two thoughts as big-game names, then Air Force, Texas Tech, and Creighton as some more great options.

Rubbadub
02-07-2007, 06:30 AM
Any of the following: George Mason, UVA, Virginia Tech, Maryland

Zagnailler
02-07-2007, 06:56 AM
Just for the fun of it Notre Dame. Though I think that it is unlikely to happen because of the Irish affinity for cupcakes OOC.:D

CDC84
02-07-2007, 07:41 AM
BTW....Gonzaga will be playing St. Joe's next season. There was some thought that the game might be played in D.C., but I keep hearing differently...that it will be played on campus in Philly.

This is just my opinion, but it would be ideal to combine the St. Joe's trip with another game on the east coast. Jimmy V would be good (one of those games is set though), or maybe a rematch against Duke at MSG. My idea of playing Boston College might also work.

They could also group it with the Memphis game.....Memphis is 1,013 miles from Philly. No matter what, I hope that the two games are grouped closer together than the UGA and Duke games were this year. Maybe the St. Joe's game on a Saturday afternoon, and then maybe a night game on Monday.

thickman1
02-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Going off of CDC's idea I think the games need to be relatively "close" to each other if you go back East. I don't want any more travel like this year. Soooo, going with the St. Joe's game how about we add one of the following on that trip:

Villanova
BC
Georgetown
Pitt
Wake Forest
Duke
UNC

Staying out West it'd be nice to see some home and homes with:
Arizona (doubt it'd ever happen)
Nevada
Utah
SDSU
USC
Texas

meadgrad02
02-07-2007, 08:29 AM
A home and home with New Mexico State would be cool, since we both have very hostile home courts, it would be a nice way to get the boys ready for the hostile WCC home courts.

JLGutrocks
02-07-2007, 12:32 PM
I like the idea of

ASU
KSU

While not top-notch right now, their incoming classes will make them noticeable opponents in the next few years.

Georgia Tech
UNC
Duke
Xavier
Indiana

West Coast kickin

NMexSt
Arizona
Air Force
Nevada

HoopsMcFadden
02-07-2007, 12:43 PM
how about playing Arkansas?

Bud Walton Arena is an incredible facility, the huge airport just up the road makes it an easy trip even if you're on a road swing across country to a more high-profile game, and it would match up the Zags with a team in the SEC who is looking to re-build its reputation... it would certainly help the Zags RPI to play another decent team from a power conference (just like the game against Georgia did this year), and the Hogs aren't in much of a position to make outrageous demands.

Arkansas gets a lot of television exposure even though they're not as good as they used to be, so the Zags would get some TV time in front of a larger audience... unlike with most of the West Coast match-ups which come on too late for most people nationwide to see.

plus, i'd be able to get tickets to the game for sure! :D

kylasdad
02-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Kentucky, Arizona, Texas, Wisconsin, Ohio State, BYU or Utah

HillBillyZag
02-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Creighton,St. Louis, Xavier,Notre Dame would all be good series without traveling all the way to the East Coast. Perhaps a series with Huggy Bear & K. State might be interesting also.

AgZag05
02-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Texas tech would be a good one. Im not sure if Bobby would be willing to take his red raiders into the kennel though.

NJZag
02-07-2007, 06:26 PM
I've had the same thought in the past, there are enough that you could concoct a very cool competitive group of schools for a tournament - prayer in the locker room wouldn't even be an issue ;)

Nice little Mix?

Gonzaga
Georgetown
Marquette
St. Joseph’s
St. Louis
Xavier
Creighton
Boston College

That idea has bounced around for many years. Creighton tried to get a tournament going about 4 or 5 years ago, but couldn't work out the dates with participants.

The next foray was to have such an event, with Georgetown hosting. The oldest of the Jesuit colleges. It would have used DC's Verizon Center. Rumor was that there were talks about it going on about a year ago. But it's apparently not coming to pass.

Getting BC and Georgetown and Marquette into the same event might be tricky, if it were to follow a competitive format to a final champion.

The departure of BC to the ACC ruffled a few feathers in the Big East, including Georgetown's.

Marquette is now in the Big East and typically early season tournaments avoid inviting two teams from the same conference. Obvious reason. They'll already be playing vs. each other later on.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Getting BC and Georgetown and Marquette into the same event might be tricky, if it were to follow a competitive format to a final champion.

The departure of BC to the ACC ruffled a few feathers in the Big East, including Georgetown's.

Marquette is now in the Big East and typically early season tournaments avoid inviting two teams from the same conference. Obvious reason. They'll already be playing vs. each other later on.

How about an annual 4-team Jesuit tourney w a championship game and consolation game thus guaranteeing 2 games for each participant. The participants would vary year-to-year thereby allowing G'town and Marquette to avoid each other (or any other same-conference SJ schools). Say there are two "pools" of Jesuit teams: the high-profile teams (G'town, B.C., Gonzaga, Marquette....and arguably Xavier, St. Joe's, Creighton, Holy Cross) and the lesser-profile SJ schools...of which there are lots (Santa Clara, LMU, St. Louis, Fordham, Loyola-Chicago, Loyola-MD etc..) Each year the Annual Jesuit Jam would consist of two members of the "high profile" pool being seeded opposite one another in a 4 team bracket and each playing a member of the "lesser profile" pool in the opening round of the Jesuit Jam. As to how it's determined what schools are designated "higher vs lower profile".......let's not let the cart get ahead of the horse.

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
02-07-2007, 08:12 PM
That sounds like a great idea, and I like the Jesuit Jam - that's cute.

WallaWallaZag
02-07-2007, 11:09 PM
I don't care if the Memphis' games are being held off campus....that arena last season was as loud and nasty as most on campus facilities. Memphis needs Gonzaga every bit as we need them, and it should be an equal affair.

...maybe we just need match memphis and find a way to make the spokane arena almost as difficult to play in as k2. i've never been to the spokane arena, but unless there's an architectural issue, i don't see why memphis can make their not-on-campus facility loud and nasty while we can't?

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
02-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Bingo, in my opinion it's an horrid venue for Bball. and having a miniscule kennel club stuck behind a back board makes it worse.

DoggieDogpound
02-08-2007, 07:36 AM
1. Marquette

2. Arizona

For next year: Georgetown or rematch with Duke (as part of St. Joe's trip)

Future Battle in Seattle: Kansas, Texas Tech, Louisville

ZagPhD
02-11-2007, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing them schedule a home-and-home with Bruce Pearl led Tennessee Volunteers at some point during the next three years. Selfish because I would get to see them play...but, plausible? Hmmm?

ZagPhD

Kiddwell
02-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Some tantalizing info in this thread. Someone (BZ, CDC, Angelo?), please list the for-sure non-conference opponents for '07-'08.

Thanks.

:]

zaglawdad
02-11-2007, 05:42 PM
I'll be selfish. I want to see my two favorite teams play each other on a regular basis. So bring on UCLA.

kitzbuel
02-12-2007, 01:00 AM
BTW....Gonzaga will be playing St. Joe's next season. There was some thought that the game might be played in D.C., but I keep hearing differently...that it will be played on campus in Philly.

This is just my opinion, but it would be ideal to combine the St. Joe's trip with another game on the east coast. Jimmy V would be good (one of those games is set though), or maybe a rematch against Duke at MSG. My idea of playing Boston College might also work.

They could also group it with the Memphis game.....Memphis is 1,013 miles from Philly. No matter what, I hope that the two games are grouped closer together than the UGA and Duke games were this year. Maybe the St. Joe's game on a Saturday afternoon, and then maybe a night game on Monday.

I agree. GU needs to schedule one trip out east and play either a tournament or two games over the course of maybe 5 days to a week. One trip out east and maybe a game in mid-conference like the Memphis game. Keep the rest in the west and make sure we get home and homes. We have to remember that this will be in addition to whatever early season tournement we are playing in like Maui or what not, so we won't be hurting for a lack of quality opponents.

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
12-04-2007, 10:35 PM
1) Texas Tech (Knight vs. Few)

2) Southern Illinois (or any consistent middie to show the world life beyond BCS)

3) UConn (I can't imagine this happening in my, or shall I say Calhoun's, lifetime)

2 out of three ain't bad and the Gaels picked up the Salukis?

Gonzdb8
12-04-2007, 11:04 PM
1 - texas - outstanding big 12 team and reasonable distance
2 - salukis - among the best of the non BCS programs - plus, a reason to trek to carbondale.
3 - georgetown - storied program, big east opponent, jesuit connection, lotsa press for this one.

saintzag
12-05-2007, 01:00 AM
1. Marquette a good program, plus the name of my old high school.

gonzagulous
12-05-2007, 05:58 AM
Some spooky foretelling went on in this thread back in February....

This is just my opinion, but it would be ideal to combine the St. Joe's trip with another game on the east coast.

I wouldn't mind seeing them schedule a home-and-home with Bruce Pearl led Tennessee Volunteers at some point during the next three years.

And this one got a little more interesting with the whole Rotnei Clarke Recruiting Sillyness Affair...

how about playing Arkansas?

Bud Walton Arena is an incredible facility, the huge airport just up the road makes it an easy trip even if you're on a road swing across country to a more high-profile game, and it would match up the Zags with a team in the SEC who is looking to re-build its reputation... it would certainly help the Zags RPI to play another decent team from a power conference (just like the game against Georgia did this year), and the Hogs aren't in much of a position to make outrageous demands.

LongIslandZagFan
12-05-2007, 06:27 AM
I'd put good money on UConn trying to back out of playing us next year. Just strikes me as Con-houn's MO. He dissed Mark after the game and he likely went back to Storrs and screamed, ranted and raved to his AD to get us off his schedule next year.

TR11Zag
12-05-2007, 07:31 AM
My absolute #1 preference = Georgetown...not only are they my East Coast team, it would be the perfect hard nosed competitor that will help Gonzaga develop (they have an amazing class coming in next year as well)

#2 = Marquette, love Tom Crean and the Jesuit connection

#3 = Louisville (Battle in Seattle) for Wilkins

#4 = Arizona/USC (more PAC 10 quality comp)

I love your list. I would also add Xavier. They are competitive each year.

kitzbuel
12-05-2007, 08:00 AM
I would like to see us establish games with west coast opponents. This year we saw the downfalls of travel...our team got tired, and we lost some games we arguably should have won.

I would like to see us get some games going with: Texas, Arizona, SDSU. On the east I think Georgetown/BC would be a solid one - someone mentioned the idea of a Jesuit Tourney
This could hold true for last year, but not this year. GU has only lost one game in a tournement at the beginning of a road swing.

CDC84
12-05-2007, 08:04 AM
According to Demetri Goodson (on that radio program he was on), Gonzaga and Texas are in negotiations for a series. Don't know if it's a 2 game or 4 game deal (with 2 games on neutral courts, and 2 games on campus), or what the status is right now. I would assume that one of those games would be in Houston to allow Goodson to get a hometown game.

What I would like to see is for one of the Texas return games to be at K2 next season for an ESPN College Gameday. If Gonzaga returns with all their pieces intact next season, I would have to think ESPN would make every effort to make it happen.

BTW....Oklahoma will be at Spokane Arena next season along with Memphis. Neither game is really appropriate for ESPN College Gameday since the games are off campus. Gonzaga will be playing at Utah on campus and be playing at Tennessee in Nashville. I really hope that Gonzaga can fit a game in somewhere in Chicago next season to give Pargo a hometown game. A Chicago game would be a good one to group with the Nashville trip since the two cities are only 470 miles apart.

tenniszag
12-05-2007, 08:24 AM
1. Arizona

2. Any other Pac-10 team besides Oregon State

bartruff1
12-05-2007, 08:36 AM
It's got to happen...

FlyZag
12-05-2007, 08:39 AM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Butler. In the same vein as Memphis, a premier program, in an inferior conference, looking for out of conference competition. What a great home and home. :D

Rubbadub
12-05-2007, 08:42 AM
George Mason, UMD, Georgetown, WVU or Pitt :)

Maybe a Washington DC tournament.

SWZag
12-05-2007, 02:12 PM
I'd like to see GU vs. a Big 10 school.

GU vs. Purdue

or...

GU vs. Michigan State.

I think Michigan State would be a great home-n-home series. Remember the game in the Maui Invite a couple years ago? Michigan State is one of those perennial teams that I would love to see play the Zags.

As far as Purdue, I've always liked them since my brother attended there. They've had a few down years but are on their way back up, I believe. Gene Keady struggled there at the end, but was an amazing coach.

SWZag

PS: For those who forgot, GU won that game 109-106 in Triple OT!!

Nevtelen
12-05-2007, 02:23 PM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Butler. In the same vein as Memphis, a premier program, in an inferior conference, looking for out of conference competition. What a great home and home. :D

I think Butler, if they sustain their success, would be a fantastic Jan/Feb game, like the Memphis matchup. If we could make it work on one of the "off" weekends of conference play, I'd be all for it.

exiledhusky
12-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Stay close to home, you don't need the east, UCLA and Kansas should do just fine.

SunDevilGolfZag
12-05-2007, 04:54 PM
UCLA, Georgetown, Marquette, Colorado -- never UW, unless they become about 1/10th as arrogant as they are now

SDzagster
12-05-2007, 06:31 PM

I agree - Butler Guy gave us a contact - lets do it!