PDA

View Full Version : Daye at Center?

Zag 77
10-16-2008, 03:41 PM
If Austin Daye is really up to 6' 11" or 7' and about 210, is there any thought of him playing the center position? At least on a part-time basis until Sacre is healthy?

MississppiZag
10-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

spudzag
10-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Well he definately has the height. It might be entertaining watching him to try extablish position against the legitimate centers we will encounter in the out of confeence schedule.

krozman
10-16-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm trying to imagine a situation or rotation that would make that necessary....and I'm thinking....no. Maybe in double overtime when sacre and JH are out, and Foster is ....nowhere to be foun

Perhaps Austin will guard in a mismatch or have the ability to develop better offensive talent with his height, but it's a bit much to try and make a Mark Spink out of AD.

You know what that reminds me of? Remember when Adam Morrison rebounded and made a decision to bring it up the floor himself, and you were just thinking to yourself "whats going on here?" that's what I would say about AD in Center.

SunDevilGolfZag
10-16-2008, 04:20 PM
If Austin Daye is really up to 6' 11" or 7' and about 210, is there any thought of him playing the center position? At least on a part-time basis until Sacre is healthy?

He could play point-center; an expansion of the point-forward concept. I like it!

Coug Tracks
10-16-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm thinking of Daye trying to guard Aron Baynes and I actually fear for Daye's safety.

Rubbadub
10-16-2008, 04:58 PM
There have already been times that Daye played the 5 for limited minutes. St. Joes comes to mind first, just because I was there.

MississppiZag
10-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Wasn't it Daye who swatted Baynes and in the same motion give him a bloody nose?:) Daye is out of position at the 4 much less the 5. With added weight he should be much more comfortable at the 4 this year.

kitzbuel
10-16-2008, 05:35 PM
I think it could be feasible to see Austin taking the tip-off. Beyond that, I think you loose too much of his versatility.

OZZag
10-16-2008, 05:48 PM
I suggested a possible 5 of;

Meech
Pargo
Gray
Micah
Daye

The other day if we were up against a very fast smaller team, there was no takers...

gamagin
10-16-2008, 06:20 PM
as anyone we've ever had. the problem is he is also fragile.

To put him into the foot traffic that is underneath, versus having him dog someone before they reach the trenches, well, I think that is mismanaging his talent and inviting injury.

He'll chase someone in there. and he'll discouraging a player from making a drive.

But to get in there, stake his ground, set up camp and do the kind of battle that kuso or Batista did game after game, would, imo, be a big mistake and misuse of his real talent, not to mention threaten his basketball life.

Coug Tracks
10-16-2008, 06:29 PM
Wasn't it Daye who swatted Baynes and in the same motion give him a bloody nose?

For some reason I thought it was Foster that bloodied up Baynes nose. Baynes can play through that kind of thing though. A Baynes elbow might have a little different impact on Daye. ;)

In all seriousness, Heytvelt is your guy in the middle along with Sacre/Foster. That might not be what he wants to hear but it would serve GU the best if he committed to the inside, IMHO.

asoc
10-16-2008, 06:43 PM
I still want to see Austin at the 3:-/
How would a 6'11" Austin do at the 3?

dim4sum
10-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Does any one have hopes that Foster will finally realize he's 7-4 with a possible future in this game? He seems to be the odd man out on this board.
I saw him in one practice last year and he was throwing crisp outlets, blocking shots and boarding. How come this hasn't been happening in game conditions? Can the coaches make something of him? Did he go to big man's summer camp? What's the take on his attitude? Would like to see him against Samhan and Bryant.

ZagNut08
10-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Do you think being tall gives you the skill set required to play center?

No, he cannot effectively play as a conventional center

Nevtelen
10-16-2008, 08:31 PM

Agreed. I really hope we have that luxury this season, but I'm not too sure about it.

OZZag
10-16-2008, 09:19 PM

How bout

Bouldin
Downs
Daye
Josh
Big Rob.....................

ToreroStudent
10-17-2008, 01:43 AM
Daye at center...ha! :)

Birddog
10-17-2008, 05:10 AM
I said it last year, Foster was quite effective on defense against Wazzu for the 3-5 mins that he was in the game. He shut down Baynes and kept him out of position in the low post. I couldn't figure out why he saw such limited action except for his lack of "O". I also think it was Will who bloodied Bayne's nose but am not positive about that.

GonzagaLove
10-17-2008, 06:32 AM
Daye at center...ha! :)

If Daye was our five, he would work over any five the toreros could throw at him. Good luck stopping him when he plays the three. HA!

jim77
10-17-2008, 07:06 AM
FORRRRRRRRRRRRRRGEEEEET about it.

cjm720
10-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Seems like he'll be forced to a bit at times until Rob gets back. Probably in Zone D. He's obviously a natural wing, though.