PDA

View Full Version : WCC Coaches Poll

BobZag
10-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Gonzaga University was chosen as the favorite to claim the West Coast Conference womenís basketball title, as the Zags try to defend their WCC regular season title. The Bulldogs, who received seven first place votes for a total of 49 points, lost in the finals of last yearís WCC Tournament to host University of San Diego and hosted their first round matchup in the WNIT, where they beat UC Davis.

Heading the group of Gonzaga returners are 2008 WCC Player of the Year Heather Bowman, Defensive Player of the Year Jami Schaefer, and Newcomer of the Year Courtney Vandersloot. Bowman and Vandersloot also were tabbed by the coaches as one of the top 10 returnees this season. Bowman led the WCC in scoring at 20.1 points per game in just her second year in the league and was third in the conference in rebounding at 8.6 per game. Schaefer, previously known at Bjorklund, was third on the squad in scoring en route to a WCC honorable mention selection. Vandersloot will enter the year as the conferences steals (62) leader and led the team in assists (191).

Gonzaga also returns juniors Vivian Frieson and Tiffanie Shives. Frieson is the Bulldogs fourth returning starter who averaged 8.9 points, 5.9 rebounds and a team-leading 0.8 blocks per contest. Shives is GUís three-point threat as she finished her sophomore campaign draining 52. Shives averaged 8.8 points and 1.9 assists per game.

Loyola Marymount University received one first place vote and totaled 40 points to come in at second in the voting. Loyola Marymount will be led by sophomore guard Renahy Young, who led the team in scoring at 10.9 ppg and was second in assists with 2.0 apg. In just her first start of her career, Young scored 20 points and hit the game-winning shot against Portland. Also looking to contribute is junior Lisa Helmers, who led the team in three-point shooting with 59 treys and was third in the conference.

San Diego, which won the WCC tournament last year, was picked third in this yearís poll, receiving 37 points. The Toreros welcome back one of the most experienced squads with four starters returning. Among the key returners are senior Amber Sprague, who led the team in scoring (15.2 ppg), rebounding (8.7 rpg), and blocks (75), on her way to an All-WCC first team selection, junior Morgan Henderson, who led the team in threes with 44, and sophomore Sam Child, who made the all-freshmen team.

Saint Maryís was selected for a fourth place finish with 29 points. The Gaels, who registered a first round win in last yearís conference tournament, return the nationís leading shot blocker in sophomore Louella Tomlinson and a healthy Majia Lahde, who returns after missing the year with a knee injury.

Santa Clara, which finished second in last yearís regular season, tallied 20 points for a fifth place finish in the poll. The Broncos will be expecting contributions from Elizabeth Doran, who enters as the teamís leading scorer, and Sara Majors, who enters as the teamís assists leader. Pepperdine, which finished sixth in the voting with 19 points, returns Miranda Ayim who led the WCC in field goal percentage en route to an all-WCC first team selection.

Portland, seventh in the voting with 16 points, returns Laiken Dollente, who led the Pilots in scoring and was second in the nation in free throw percentage. San Francisco rounds out the voting with 14 points and welcomes back Shay Rollins, who is the Donsí top returning scorer, and Necolia Simmons, who enters as the leading rebounder.

2008-09 WCC Womenís Basketball

Preseason Coaches Poll

1. Gonzaga 49 (7)

2. Loyola Marymount 40 (1)

3. San Diego 37

4. Saint Maryís 29

5. Santa Clara 20

6. Pepperdine 19

7. Portland 16

8. San Francisco 14

2008-09 Top Returning Players

Heather Bowman, Gonzaga
Courtney Vandersloot, Gonzaga
Renahy Young, Loyola Marymount
Miranda Ayim, Pepperdine
Laiken Dollente, Portland
Louelle Tomlinson, Saint Maryís
Jontelle Smith, Saint Maryís
Maija Lahde, Saint Maryís
Amber Sprague, San Diego
Necolia Simmons, San Francisco

young julez
10-17-2008, 10:29 AM
They finally got it right :) This year the ladies need to finish strong in the WCC tournament, the ending sucked last year

Interesting that we don't have any verbals yet...I know we have had prospects visiting.

BZ any insight on how the ladies are looking in "open gym" would be great, especially the new additions to the team. Can't wait to get over to Spokane to catch the exhibition games.

BobZag
10-19-2008, 08:41 AM
I hope to watch a practice this week. The 30th (I think) at 6pm is an intrasquad scrimmage. I might be watching that, too.

What little I've seen, they're looking good.

When the team was introduced Friday night, Viv gave several bows to the students. She has the most personality on the team. :)

young julez
10-19-2008, 07:37 PM
:D Thank you for the update, yes Vivian is really looking forward to the season and I am happy to share her wonderful personality with all of you.

She text me at 11:30 last night and told me that Kaitlyn Peterson verbaled to GU! She looks like a nice addition to the backcourt as far as the info included in the espn-hoopgurlz story which includes a picture
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/womens/news/story?id=3535855

"Another aspect of passing often underappreciated by the average spectator is where the ball is actually delivered. Just because the recipient caught the ball doesn't make it a good pass. Players like Kaitlyn Peterson of Laguna Hills, Calif., hit the shooters in the shot pocket, post players on their way to the basket and slashers out in front of their cuts. For a shooter nothing is more frustrating than having your body balanced and ready to knock down that big shot only to have to lunge to the side to catch the kick-out pass. With Peterson that almost never happens."

Oldsport
10-19-2008, 11:30 PM
That's great news Y.J.! Waa Hoo!...sounds too good to be true!:roll:

I wish that your link still worked....it "poofed out". Now, it is known that my "left click" finger is untrained. Let me know if it still works for you and I will get my geek to check it out for me. Thanks once again for the great news.:)

Only a couple of weeks now before we can all get together once again.:)

Kind Regards To All,
OldSport

BobZag
10-21-2008, 09:10 AM
An outstanding commitment!