PDA

View Full Version : Indiana got best 10 seed matchup possible

sanfranzagsguy20
03-11-2007, 03:19 PM
At least, according to their fans.....read what some of these guys are saying...interesting stuff

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=170#S=170&F=2353&T=233538

Bulldog
03-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Me thinks they could be in for a surprise. :lmao:

TM27
03-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Shh (placing my finger over my lip) ..... this is exactly what we want. Let them talk all night long. We will sit here quietly and then SHOCK the entire fan base. Make sure you visit that board again when GU beats them by 10.

youreachiteach
03-11-2007, 03:26 PM
DJ White will be very tough to handle.

TM27
03-11-2007, 03:31 PM
DJ White will be very tough to handle.

Very very tough to handle. I posted this somewhere else but am to lazy to adjust it but basically, "Indiana can play both ways but being from the big 10 normally plays a slow game, they are at their best when their 6-9 F DJ White has room to post up a smaller front court (bad for GU). Indiana is a streaky shooting team and when they are off can look like a D2 team (good for GU, bad for GU if they are on as the combination of a low post game and outside shooting will be a tough matchup for GU). Indiana's White struggles against the double team, but our bigs may not be athletic enough to cause significant problems. GU has drawn a tough first round matchup, not to mention the possible second round matchup. Gotta bring our A game.

Edited to say: GU can absolutely win this game, but we will be looking to push the ball and we need a SOLID defensive effort from Kuso and Mallon.
"

btzag
03-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Yes, please be quiet and let them expect an easy victory! Granted Dj White is a good player but I would be much more worried about a team with a couple good to great bigs, which I don't think we can match up with. One big...I like our chances. If Kuso can stay out of foul trouble(big if!) I like Kuso on white, and then go with the 'small' lineup of Pendo, Bouldin/Downs, Raivio, and Pargo. VERY interesting to see the perception of other fans and can only hope their team has a little bit of that attitude!

SpudDawg
03-11-2007, 04:02 PM
... for some "X Factor" minutes from Big Will.

Zagdawg
03-11-2007, 04:07 PM
I like Indianas line of thought-- they had better start running some plays for UCLA and watching some UCLA tape--

Perfect for us---

Go Zags--

beatProgram
03-11-2007, 04:18 PM
we will be looking to push the ball

we need a SOLID defensive effort from Kuso and Mallon.

Those two statements are mutually exclusive.

If Mallon gets a lot of minutes, and the team wants to play fast full-court offense/defense then they'll be playing 4 on 5 most of the time.

Nevtelen
03-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but they might be right - with the exception of G Tech, we might be the weakest 10 seed out there. Creighton is playing great and won the Valley, Texas Tech is on-again-off-again but you gotta believe the General will have them going strong... I'm not saying we can't win or anything (10s upset 7s every year), but out of the teams they could have possibly matched up against and what they probably mostly know about us this year... I'd be happy, too.

TM27
03-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Those two statements are mutually exclusive.

If Mallon gets a lot of minutes, and the team wants to play fast full-court offense/defense then they'll be playing 4 on 5 most of the time.

LOL - good point! But seriously, playing Mallon does not automatically restrict GU to the half court game. Kuso and Mallon will be needed to keep DJ White in check. And yes when GU grabs a board they will be looking to find the outlet and start the break (before Indiana sets up thier D) hence push the ball.

23dpg
03-11-2007, 04:49 PM
The NCAA tourney uses an S-curve to determine games. If you believe that UCLA was the top #2 team, which I do, that would make Gonzaga the lowest 10. I have no problem with that. I thought we'd get an eleven.

SteeleMan
03-11-2007, 04:56 PM
kelvin sampson doesn't do very well in the dance. period.

Zagster
03-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Guards . . . Guards . . .. Guards . . . I wish we had some . . . Oh well... It was a nice year . .. .:)

beatProgram
03-11-2007, 06:17 PM
playing Mallon does not automatically restrict GU to the half court game.

Other than the fact that he can't set a legitimate pick and he disrupts the crisp motion of the flex offense.... I totally agree with you :)

deathchina
03-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Sampson did make it to the final four in 02 and the elite 8 in 03. not too shabby.

lothar98zag
03-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Other than the fact that he can't set a legitimate pick and he disrupts the crisp motion of the flex offense.... I totally agree with you :)
I guess when GU loses their next game you can celebrate the fact that Mallon is done @ GU.

I on the other hand won't be doing a happy dance.

beatProgram
03-11-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm sure he's a nice guy. I've met him a few times.

My point was simply that if GU is going to play a high-speed game where they're pushing the tempo, then Mallon becomes a liability on both ends of the court faster than you can say, "Kuso just picked up his second foul in 2 minutes."

Bouldin, a freshman who's never played the post in his life, had developed better post moves in 5 games than Mallon had in 5 years. The program grew up faster than he could keep up. That's all.

Of course if he pulls out all the stops and puts up a big contribution I'll be the happiest person in history to eat their words.

soonerterp
03-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Sampson did make it to the final four in 02 and the elite 8 in 03. not too shabby.

... I don't think Sampson would have gotten to either one if it weren't for the kids he was coaching at the time: Hollis Price, Quannas White, Aaron McGhee, Jabahri Brown, Jason Detrick who for the most part bought into what Sampson was selling and carried the team to what a lot of people thought were unimaginable. OU hasn't even sniffed the second round since (if they made the tourney at all).

I didn't get to see a whole lot of Indiana this season but by most accounts Sampson's maiden season in the Big 10 wasn't as bad as some of his critics might have thought it would be.

That said, I thought it was cute how the NCAA Selection Committee thought it would be fun to see a first-round 7-10 "made-for-TV" revenge matchup. I am going to shut up now.

zagbac
03-11-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm sure he's a nice guy. I've met him a few times.

My point was simply that if GU is going to play a high-speed game where they're pushing the tempo, then Mallon becomes a liability on both ends of the court faster than you can say, "Kuso just picked up his second foul in 2 minutes."

Bouldin, a freshman who's never played the post in his life, had developed better post moves in 5 games than Mallon had in 5 years. The program grew up faster than he could keep up. That's all.

Of course if he pulls out all the stops and puts up a big contribution I'll be the happiest person in history to eat their words.

Remember Mallon wasn't to shabby in the first half against them last year. Hope he brings the same big surprise.

Nevtelen
03-12-2007, 12:16 AM
G Tech - stop Crittenton, stop the team. They one a grand total of 2 road/neutral games all year. The only road game they won was against Florida St, not an NCAA team. Not so hot. Not that we never lost on the road or anything, but at least we're better than that.

sonuvazag
03-12-2007, 07:47 AM
The NCAA tourney uses an S-curve to determine games. If you believe that UCLA was the top #2 team, which I do, that would make Gonzaga the lowest 10. I have no problem with that. I thought we'd get an eleven.

By this reasoning, GU would actually be the top 10 seed... all the even #'s in the bracket would be the tops and the odd #'s would be the bottoms.

I really like this draw for one reason... UCLA is next on the list and this is supposed to be UCLA's year. I'm not condoning the idea of overlooking IU by any means... in fact, I would suggest channelling the fire of payback throughout the first week including Indiana... if they don't use it, we will.

By the time the Sweet 16 is set, there will be new reasons to be motivated, but for now... there is a light at the end of the weekend, and that light is making Affalo cry!